• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 GT HB Conversion

corpse

On further inspection there is a noticeable change in tone with the covers on- it becomes 20% flatter sounding. My sweet spot had been 6 on the bridge and 7 on the bass- so I bumped it up a couple and all was well. But like you say Kris they may need to come off. The covers brought the bridge pick up too close to the high E so I lowered it a full turn or so.
I like the grovers- and they work. I am not going to risk any damage for 1/2 a pound weight savings- and they look cool too- although I have always liked the look of double-rings.

Kris Ford

On further inspection there is a noticeable change in tone with the covers on- it becomes 20% flatter sounding. My sweet spot had been 6 on the bridge and 7 on the bass- so I bumped it up a couple and all was well. But like you say Kris they may need to come off. The covers brought the bridge pick up too close to the high E so I lowered it a full turn or so.
I like the grovers- and they work. I am not going to risk any damage for 1/2 a pound weight savings- and they look cool too- although I have always liked the look of double-rings.

Right on..so it's not just me LOL.
I have Grovers on mine as well.
They're staying.

Reno_1ted

+ 1 on the grovers. I have a set on my 68 LP, and they are going nowhere :salude

corpse

I bumped the neck PU up a half turn and got some clarity back with the covers on.
This is a confusing guitar- I am enjoying myself on the neck and flip to the middle, and wow- then up to the bridge and zap- chainsaw- then over to the neck- whew. I love them all better!

Kris Ford

I bumped the neck PU up a half turn and got some clarity back with the covers on.
This is a confusing guitar- I am enjoying myself on the neck and flip to the middle, and wow- then up to the bridge and zap- chainsaw- then over to the neck- whew. I love them all better!

It took me quite some time tweaking my pickups, but I *THINK* I've got it *just right*...
I get grind and sparkle that just barks when you really dig in on the bridge T Top, and the neck one basically sounds like a clarinet.

corpse

Some internal stuff
s-l1600%209_zpsyweupucb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any idea what the values are on these pots? The neck one sounds pretty compressed. Opposite the CTS part number is the number 70-621.

Last edited:

Kris Ford

Seriously cool guitar. Will post more impressions later, just wanted to post one thing before I forgot.

If I recall correctly, some old thread here stated that Grovers add just under a half pound relative to Klusons. So, your 9.5lb GT is actually closer to the sweet spot of 9 lbs.

Im not a big weight junkie per se, but this is just an interesting point to consider.

More later, gotta run

Semi related: :peace2
My ('76 with Grovers) Deluxe is 9.29 lbs on a calibrated postal scale.

Any idea what the values are on these pots? The neck one sounds pretty compressed. Opposite the CTS part number is the number 70-621.
Corpse, that would probably be 70 021, and that is a 250K pot. Could explain what you're hearing.
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/potentiometer/description/70021

corpse

Those are normal for the 70 models (they date to 73) but what were stock in 69?
Thanks Kris.

corpse

I will get some from Kim Lafleur and swap them out. They do sound sort of (ok- I will say it) bitchin' in their own way, but I want to hear it wide open. I can always roll the tone down right?

Last edited:

Kris Ford

Good deal!

Ya know, on that note, I dig the tone controls in my '76 being 300K, gets a very unique, compressed-ish, croaky sound. (almost like a cocked wah) And yeah, in theory, rolled down tone control will take the resistance down, but *sometimes* it's not the same as a lower value pot.

You can always go back to the other pot if the 500K isn't up to what you expected.

corpse

I can get the Mick Taylor Ger Your Ya Ya's tone- one of my all time favorites- with these pots. You are right- I am concerned that would go away with a new pot.

Kris Ford

Uncovered DOES look bitchin.. (if you don't mind your '69's younger, sluttier sister photobombing your thread...:spabout) and to me do alter the sound..now whether it shifts in the direction you need it to depends on the guitar I think. Some seem better with, some without..

And a misty "boudoir" shot..

T Tops FTW!:yah

corpse

No mine came with a SKB.
The plastic is USA but in most light nails the color.
I am just leaving it intact and letting it do its thing. It really makes me want to find one with P-90's.
The downside is weight. That extra 8 oz weighs on me in our three- four hour jams. I am too lazy to bring multiple guitars.

corpse

Interesting development- the compressed tone (call it flat) was "nerving me". I looked at a bunch of pics here and raised the pole pieces and viola'- beautiful full spectrum.
Now i have to try to get that compressed sound by rolling down the tone knobs, which was cool in it's own right.
Like my wife says- "You're just never happy."

moonweasel

Interesting development- the compressed tone (call it flat) was "nerving me". I looked at a bunch of pics here and raised the pole pieces and viola'- beautiful full spectrum.
Now i have to try to get that compressed sound by rolling down the tone knobs, which was cool in it's own right.
Like my wife says- "You're just never happy."

hehehehe

Just keep tryin' I suppose. :) The never ending tone journey. :)