• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Les Paul Special 1993 - tv yellow

malebolgia78

As promised in this thread, I'd like to post some pics of my new (old) Les Paul Special. I ended up buying it after some advice from forum members and after of course trying it out. I did manage to get a little off the price.

Anyway, it's a 1993 model with the fingerboard binding, cutaway hump, and TOM bridge. It's in pretty good shape, although it has a slight rendition of the infamous 15th fret hump :) The action is still very much low enough, so I don't really mind. I haven't had the chance yet to play it through my '82 Marshall JCM 800 2203, but I will soon. Acoustically, it sounds nice and resonant. Quite loud for a solidbody! It plays very well, too!

Currently, there are Seymour Duncan stacked p90's in it. I will probably replace these with true p90's at some point.

Here's some pics that I hope you'll enjoy:

20160502_144346.jpg

20160502_144454.jpg

20160502_144501.jpg

20160502_144328.jpg

20160502_144400.jpg

Last edited:

renderit

Very nice. I would prefer a wrap tail, but that is just kinda how I am. I'd play the snot outta that!

malebolgia78

Thanks to you both. And yes, a wraparound bridge would have been awesome (and historically correct), but that would have meant spending at least twice as much on a Custom Shop special or about ten times as much on a vintage 50s/60s one... Thanks, but no thanks... :)

By the way, do any other owners of tv yellow guitars notice that this color appears more yellow in pictures than in real life (also depending a bit on lighting of course). In real life the guitar appears to be bright yellow only in direct (sun)light at certain angles. Otherwise it appears to have a slight greenish hue, making it more a mustard-like color. Awesome and interesting color nonetheless.

Last edited:

gmann

The finish on these things, even originals, can vary quite a bit due to many factors. Either way, you've got a great looking guitar right there, congrats to you!

malebolgia78

Thanks! :salude

Regarding the color: I meant that even this particular guitar appears slightly brighter/more saturated in pictures than it does in real life (under most lighting conditions).

tonyj

As promised in this thread, I'd like to post some pics of my new (old) Les Paul Special. I ended up buying it after some advice from forum members and after of course trying it out. ......
Anyway, it's a 1993 model with the fingerboard binding, cutaway hump, and TOM bridge. .............

Currently, there are Seymour Duncan stacked p90's in it. I will probably replace these with true p90's at some point.

20160502_144346.jpg

........ And yes, a wraparound bridge would have been awesome (and historically correct), but that would have meant spending at least twice as much on a Custom Shop special or about ten times as much on a vintage 50s/60s one... Thanks, but no thanks... :)

Basically the very same guitar (mine's a '95) that had arrived in my hands with it's original stacked P100s. I soon replaced them with a spare set of CS P90s I had from another CS Special that were gathering dust after a previous switch over.

As you can see in the photos below, the wrap-over bridge was a straight forward concept. No major extra costs involved.
A set of used (or new) soapbox Gibson P90s - or similar, is all that you need. The replacement P90s do have to be 'packed' below, with some of that 'soft-hard' foam or similar, to compensate for the 'taller' stacked pickups that were removed. Not all that hard to find and certainly not as expensive as you describe, unless I am misunderstanding your meaning.

Great guitar BTW!! Mine gets used on a virtual daily basis. One of my all-time favourite practice weapons.

95LPspec3.jpg

95LPspec6.jpg

95LPspec4.jpg

malebolgia78

Hey! Thanks for the input and pictures, tonyj! I think you're right, it's basically the same guitar. This particular run lasted until '98 I believe? Anyway, awesome guitars, as you stated. And yours looks great too!

As you can see in the photos below, the wrap-over bridge was a straight forward concept. No major extra costs involved. A set of used (or new) soapbox Gibson P90s - or similar, is all that you need. The replacement P90s do have to be 'packed' below, with some of that 'soft-hard' foam or similar, to compensate for the 'taller' stacked pickups that were removed. Not all that hard to find and certainly not as expensive as you describe, unless I am misunderstanding your meaning.

Yes, I know the strings can be top-wrapped over the tailpiece, but I meant the old style wraparound tailpiece without the Tune-o-matic ABR bridge between it and the pickups, like those on 50's/VOS custom shop LP Juniors/specials (which are much more expensive guitars). Very bare bones, very rock 'n' roll. And they can't be intonated, which has a laissez faire cool all its own of course :peace2. Regardless, I'll probably top-wrap the thing when replacing the strings, just to have some of that 50s vibe rub off on it. But waitin' on those p90's first.

And you're right about the p90s swap not being too expensive. I figure I'll have to use the longer p100 screws just to reach the bottom of the cavities, and use either longer springs or some foam to get enough upward pressure for height adjustment.