• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R9 ES335 Neck vs R9 Les Paul Neck

Can anyone tell me if the neck on my R9 ES335 is bigger than the typical R9 Les Paul neck? Trying to decide between an R9 Les Paul vs an R0 Les Paul. I don't play my 335 very often, and though I've never really questioned myself as to why, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's because of the large neck. I'm hoping you guys will tell me that the 335 neck is going to be fatter than the typical R9 neck.

Thoughts???

fcsnut

Can anyone tell me if the neck on my R9 ES335 is bigger than the typical R9 Les Paul neck? Trying to decide between an R9 Les Paul vs an R0 Les Paul. I don't play my 335 very often, and though I've never really questioned myself as to why, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's because of the large neck. I'm hoping you guys will tell me that the 335 neck is going to be fatter than the typical R9 neck.

Thoughts???

I would say it's close. I never play any of my hollow bodies either(so I sold them all) I had a memphis 50's 335 red, 63 sunburst reissue(still selling), and a new trini lopez in red, loved them all but never played. Why? It's because the bodies are too big, I think. I always gravitated towards laying around the house with a les paul or strat.

D'Mule

I used to own a 2009 Anniversary ES335 Memphis Reissue. The neck was medium C size (no shoulders) just like an R9 LP.

How about a pic for old times sake?!

335.jpg

Last edited:

bluesjuke

I've had two '59 Historic 335s and the necks felt heftier to me than most R9 LPs I ever played.

All models have necks that vary.
My 335s were .919 and .920 at the first fret with nicely round shoulders.

The one that was .920 also has very slightly larger shoulders, just a hair, but it was easily noticeable.
The shoulders are where one feels the biggest difference.

B Ingram

Can anyone tell me if the neck on my R9 ES335 is bigger than the typical R9 Les Paul neck? Trying to decide between an R9 Les Paul vs an R0 Les Paul. ...

The answer is don't buy online until you've tried the relevant models in person. You'll never really know what you might be getting or what you will prefer otherwise.

For me, R8's are out of the question unless I feel an R8 neck that lacks the squared shoulders of the ones I've played to date. The neck isn't significantly deeper than my R9, but the extra distance from the fretboard before the neck contours made the last R8 I played very uncomfortable in my hands.

Nitefly

I have a 2013 59 ES335 reissue (Nashville) and the neck definitely has more shoulder to it than any regular R9 I have ever played. I recently played 2 TH 59s and 1 TH 58 and strangely the neck on my 335 felt very similar to the THs. In comparison to my R8 the 335 feels like a D shape and the r8 feels more like a C. I really like the differences one can encounter between same model Gibsons though!

Elmore

You should try a R0. Great slimmer neck profile.