• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1980´s Pre Historic Les Pauls

peeninety

I kinda find it odd the general aversion to "weight relief". I have never found anything about weight relieved Les Pauls to be lacking tone wise. Is it the hyper attraction of a 50's spec that carries so much , ahem.., weight? :hmm

I've no reason to doubt your experience, even though mine differs.

I've found only two LPs that I couldn't love: both sounded harsh, thin, and brittle to me, and both made a horrible little warbling sound under my vibrato.

These two fiddles wound up stored under my bed, ignored for years, until I joined this forum and read about Gibson's weight-relief practices.

Curious, I pulled the two offensive LPs from under the bed so I could get reacquainted. Both still sounded ugly--brittle, harsh, and thin--to my ears, and both still made that unflattering, warbling sound under my vibrato.

I then played some non-weight-relieved LPs side-by-side for comparison: two 1950s-era LP Jrs, a 1974 Deluxe, three 1980s-era Deluxes, a 1981 Standard, an R4, and an R8. The non-weight-relieved fiddles all sounded warm and soft to me, and none made that horrible little warble under vibrato.

The two brittle fiddles? A 1996 LP Gem and a 2000 LP Classic. I sold the latter to a buddy who totally loves it, and I still have the Gem.

My conclusion? There's nothing at all wrong with weight relieving a LP. I think the physical way I play requires more mass than a weight-relieved LP has, and I also think that my--pretty heavy--touch has as much to do with the ugly warbling sound and brittle tone I experienced.

Full disclosure: I once tried out a buddy's brand new PRS at a gig, and that thing flexed so much I had to put it down after one tune. It would not stay in tune.

I'm not a Gorilla, but I guess I hold a guitar like one!

Big Al

I've no reason to doubt your experience, even though mine differs.

I've found only two LPs that I couldn't love: both sounded harsh, thin, and brittle to me, and both made a horrible little warbling sound under my vibrato.

These two fiddles wound up stored under my bed, ignored for years, until I joined this forum and read about Gibson's weight-relief practices.

Curious, I pulled the two offensive LPs from under the bed so I could get reacquainted. Both still sounded ugly--brittle, harsh, and thin--to my ears, and both still made that unflattering, warbling sound under my vibrato.

I then played some non-weight-relieved LPs side-by-side for comparison: two 1950s-era LP Jrs, a 1974 Deluxe, three 1980s-era Deluxes, a 1981 Standard, an R4, and an R8. The non-weight-relieved fiddles all sounded warm and soft to me, and none made that horrible little warble under vibrato.

The two brittle fiddles? A 1996 LP Gem and a 2000 LP Classic. I sold the latter to a buddy who totally loves it, and I still have the Gem.

My conclusion? There's nothing at all wrong with weight relieving a LP. I think the physical way I play requires more mass than a weight-relieved LP has, and I also think that my--pretty heavy--touch has as much to do with the ugly warbling sound and brittle tone I experienced.

Full disclosure: I once tried out a buddy's brand new PRS at a gig, and that thing flexed so much I had to put it down after one tune. It would not stay in tune.

I'm not a Gorilla, but I guess I hold a guitar like one!

I found that with most of the Classic models. I just can't get on with them. But, is it because of weight relief or neck or something else?

I have played so many, the HOG always have bunches for me to scope out, and I cannot tell the difference with similar Standards.

GastonG

Here is my GIBSON Les Paul Heritage 80 CSB (ser. 82170537) with my burst 9 0910 (pix from 1980...)
9_0910andStd_80Heritage_serie_zpsvfgonupu.jpg

sts_vs_burst59_zpscnjsbjif.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae193/Gaston_033/sts_vs_burst59_zpscnjsbjif.jpg~original

Gaston :salude