• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Has anyone tried out the 2015 Les Paul CM?

Jericho-79

Hey guys. A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about finding the ideal lightweight LP for a relatively small-framed male player like myself.

I'm currently looking into the 2015 Les Paul CM.

Les Paul CM 2015

I like how it has a maple top and a mahogany back, yet still manages to be lightweight. The single humbucker in the bridge position is money. And it only weighs around 5-6 lbs. That's quite less than most of today's chambered LPs.

My only gripe about the LP CM is that it only comes in an ebony finish.

Before I run off to the nearest Guitar Center, I just want to get some feedback from any LP experts here who have tried the LP CM.

Has anyone here tried out the 2015 LP CM?

How does it sound?

Does it actually feel lighter than a modern chambered LP, a 2015 LP Studio, a LP Less+, or a LP Custom Lite?

Thoughts, guys?

WBailey

Hey guys. A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about finding the ideal lightweight LP for a relatively small-framed male player like myself.

I'm currently looking into the 2015 Les Paul CM.

Les Paul CM 2015

I like how it has a maple top and a mahogany back, yet still manages to be lightweight. The single humbucker in the bridge position is money. And it only weighs around 5-6 lbs. That's quite less than most of today's chambered LPs.

My only gripe about the LP CM is that it only comes in an ebony finish.

Before I run off to the nearest Guitar Center, I just want to get some feedback from any LP experts here who have tried the LP CM.

Has anyone here tried out the 2015 LP CM?

How does it sound?

Does it actually feel lighter than a modern chambered LP, a 2015 LP Studio, a LP Less+, or a LP Custom Lite?

Thoughts, guys?

Where did you find this information? :hmm Body only 4.9 lbs. ? Plus maple neck ?

Looks like the perfect " meat and taters " instrument !

Tape it off, shoot it any color you want !

Diggin it ! :salude

Appears to be a " no bullshit, git-r-done " kinda Gibby !

Last edited:

Big Al

Jericho-79, one of my favorite guitars is a 59 Melody Maker with a bridge pickup. It lacks the maple top and is a thin single cutaway mahogany body guitar similar to the one you are looking at. I'm guessing, but I'd wager you will find it a very useful axe and the single pickup with vol. and tone controls can be surprisingly versatile. You could, if you wanted more versatility, install any number of after market pickups with multi functions such as four conductor wiring to the very versatile Duncan P Rails. You could have mini switching or pull pots for stealth switching. Or you could leave as is and still have a wonderful guitar!

Looks like Rock n Roll to me.

Jericho-79

Jericho-79, one of my favorite guitars is a 59 Melody Maker with a bridge pickup. It lacks the maple top and is a thin single cutaway mahogany body guitar similar to the one you are looking at.

The MM is my 3rd choice.

Is the 59 Melody Maker simply a reissue? Is the MM as light as an SG?

Big Al

Could you post a pic of it?

I'm just curious if your 59 MM looks like this:

https://gbmedia.azureedge.net/usercontent/gear/3363709/p4_uaoe2wyo0_ss.jpg

Only yours is modded with a humbucker.

You got it. I call them Bumble Bees because of the color. At one time I owned over 25 of them counting the single cut Jrs I had in the same colors. They were not considered a serious guitar and I got them all really cheap. When the market exploded I sold off most of them and made a huge profit. I kept a 1960 Melody Maker D, (two pickup 100% stock), a guitar I feel is way under rated, and my favorite single pickup 59 which I routed to fit a Humbucker, and a couple of modded single cut Jrs.

I mentioned it above because it is a similar guitar to what you are thinking about. Not exact, but basically close enough to draw some conclusions about. IMO, a single pickup guitar is great for teaching the value of volume and tone controls of the guitar. I learned so much by using them that I cannot conceive of a situation where I wouldn't utilize them on any guitar.

There is a world of tone and expression available with those two overlooked and under appreciated knobs.

ajay taylor

Have You seen Slinger Straps LLC? The guitar is suspended by a strap around Your hips. You could handle an 11 pound Lester with ease. Don't just buy a guitar that You can manage. Buy the guitar that You want to play. The lighter Gibbies are nice, but why not play a fat boy with ALL the tone.? Go for it!