• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Special - 1991 with interesting features

latestarter

I recently got this. The pots read 1991, as does the serial.

P90's, 500K pots. Cavity says "T-V Y", so I guess TV Yellow.

It's all original and barely played. Note the logo and "Les Paul Model". Very Norlin. Brown Made in Canada plush case with curtain.

It's clean, plays super and sounds the biz. About the same weight as my '56 Special.

Has anyone seen one similar?

vUswaVl.jpg

K9ShUIz.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I recently got this. The pots read 1991, as does the serial.

P90's, 500K pots. Cavity says "T-V Y", so I guess TV Yellow.

It's all original and barely played. Note the logo and "Les Paul Model". Very Norlin.

And yet, it's built several years after Norlin. :hmm

bigtone

I have a '91 special also, but it is gloss cherry and has 2 piece ABR bridge tailpiece. Mine has grover tuners with chrome ends, but it does have the pointers on the vol/tone knobs. great guitar, but I like the TV finish better. Does your have P90 or P100's in it? Mine came with the P100's which I swapped out.

latestarter

P90s in this one. Sounds like my 56 in many ways, but not quite as hot.

tonyj

Gibson made a Special that ran from the late eighties well into the nineties. It was a single cutaway version with a bound neck and a 'MoP' Gibson inlay in the head. The guitar had a silkscreen 'Les Paul Special' decal between the tuners.

They came with a wrap over stop and a tune-o-matic type bridge.

The Special also carried a pair of P100s, which many of us eventually changed to P90s. There was nothing terribly wrong with the stacked humbucker P100s, but they just didn't have the mojo of the P90s.

Since then there have been numerous short run versions of this same guitar, mostly with P90s and various bridge configurations. There are also some very tasty Custom Shop versions of the LP Junior and the Special.

Great guitars and a ton of fun!!!

rlefty

I don't recall having ever seen one from that period with a wraptail.

latestarter

Update

rlefty - you're correct...they're unlikely to exist.

This guitar under blacklight showed carefully filled stop tail studs and a super pro refin...and I mean virtually indistinguishable from an original. It was a '91 though, with that logo.

Mystery solved.

So, it's on it's way back to the vendor. It did sound fantastic though.

rlefty

Update

rlefty - you're correct...they're unlikely to exist.

This guitar under blacklight showed carefully filled stop tail studs and a super pro refin...and I mean virtually indistinguishable from an original. It was a '91 though, with that logo.

Mystery solved.

So, it's on it's way back to the vendor. It did sound fantastic though.

Heh, that's pretty interesting. If it sounds fantastic, that does make it pretty unique. A good refin probably doesn't hurt the resale value for it much.