• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Acoustic Resonance" of Norlin Era Les Pauls

marshall1987

A while back there was a spirited discussion on another popular LPF Pub regarding the acoustic resonance of Gibson Custom Shop guitars. Especially those constructed with hide glue such as the 2015 True Historic series of Les Pauls. Norlin era guitars did not appear to receive any scrutiny within the large number of posts to this thread.

I held back discussing the perceived acoustic resonance of my 1970 Les Paul Deluxe since it was not relevant within the scope of the discussions. However, after comparing the acoustic resonance of my 1970 Deluxe with some of my more recent Historic Les Pauls, I came to the conclusion that it trumped all of them in this comparison. Not even close. :dude:

My "lowly" 1970 deluxe :bh exhibited a much stronger primary tone, sustain, and vibration than any of my Historics. It really feels alive when I strum it. I attribute this to the very stiff 3-piece mahogany neck (w/ small volute) and possibly even the dreaded "pancake" body. She even has the transitional neck tenon and nylon saddles. The mahogany is primo select quality grade A, and the lacquer finish is professionally applied. It's a gorgeous guitar. One of my favorites.

Any other Norlin owners experience this?

1970 LES PAUL DELUXE, 9 lb. 2 oz.

Last edited:

Kris Ford

Yep, sure have. My Norlins ring through and true, to where I feel it in the bones of my fretting hands, and against my body. (maple necked ones too!) Something my former R7s and R8s did not..
I'd buy a Norlin before a Historic any day.:peace2

latkagravas

funny this
i was always told for years that norlins were no good. it must come from the people who wanted the 1959 thing . it may not have been up to specs,but to call it crap is just wrong. many of the best guitarists used norlins,with fabulous results.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
1970 Deluxe is a fine guitar with what is essentally a "long tenon" as the construction is exactly the same, just about 1/2 inch shorter.

Nothin' wrong with them until the short. or rocker tenon.

The Norlin era was a long time and includes many fine guitars.

Big Al

The truth, and something that is simply ignored around here, is that the denser and heavier wood transmits more sound wave energy. Simple physics prove it, an ear or stethoscope too. Denser wood has more frequency transmission as well as speedier transient attacks. I have found that lighter wood often acts as a filter more than a transmitter. It is this filtering of certain frequencies that determine the tone the pickups send. That is the stings vibration is effected by the woods ability to reflect or filter sound energy to the string that makes up the bulk of primary tone.

It is the interaction of primary tone with secondary tone that gives our instruments their unique voice. It is also why, in almost every case I have found that early 70's modified tenon Les Pauls have great tone and are very musical.

I have found that my ear, and what I prefer is denser wood. Up to a point. As an old, decrepit geezer my back cannot take the weight of over 10lbs. Over that is a sitting' guitar, not a standing one.

Progrocker111

Many of my early 70s Les Pauls were exceptionally resonant. Often more than Historics i have played or owned. I especially recommend 70-75 Norlins in 9 - 10 lbs range.

Most of late 70s Norlins i tried or had were mostly acoustically quieter and less woody sounding, even amplified. I prefer early 70s significantly.

Big Al

Many of my early 70s Les Pauls were exceptionally resonant. Often more than Historics i have played or owned. I especially recommend 70-75 Norlins in 9 - 10 lbs range.

Most of late 70s Norlins i tried or had were mostly acoustically quieter and less woody sounding, even amplified. I prefer early 70s significantly.

Yep! Acoustically loud does not equate to great tone. All these posts about how great it resonated unplugged and how loud it is, as signs of great tone are meaningless unless you plan on playing unplugged. I don't. I agree with your preference for early 70's Les Pauls. 9-10lbs. It is telling that the four Historic Les Pauls I own are right around 9lbs and IMO they sound much better than the lighter weight Les Pauls I compared them too.

Last edited:

latkagravas

A friend of mine had this 1977 les paul deluxe pro, you know the one with ebony board,and p90s

it was seriously heavy. I have a bad back. I made the mistake bringing it with me to rehearsal. we played for two hours with only a short coffee break in between. big mistake , when i got home not only did my shoulder hurt like hell,my back was killing me

at home I often leave the guitar on the coach. one day my uncle and family came over to visit. when my uncle grabbed the guitar to place it out of the way, he said " ooh thats heavy" ,lol

this guitar along with a 70`s fender jazz bass was the heaviest guitars i have ever played in my life, And I reckon i have played many guitars in 30 years

WBailey

A friend of mine had this 1977 les paul deluxe pro, you know the one with ebony board,and p90s

it was seriously heavy. I have a bad back. I made the mistake bringing it with me to rehearsal. we played for two hours with only a short coffee break in between. big mistake , when i got home not only did my shoulder hurt like hell,my back was killing me

at home I often leave the guitar on the coach. one day my uncle and family came over to visit. when my uncle grabbed the guitar to place it out of the way, he said " ooh thats heavy" ,lol

this guitar along with a 70`s fender jazz bass was the heaviest guitars i have ever played in my life, And I reckon i have played many guitars in 30 years

Is this REALLY Latka ? Do Elivis ! Do Elvis !

I started on a Peavey T-40 ! Before I got my Jazz. :ganz

Big Al

Brother, I feel your pain. All through the 70's and up to the mid 90's I played regular 4 sets a night clubs. In Nevada it was as long as there was a crowd and as we were paid a nice bonus for every set we played over the contracted 4, we sometimes played from sunset to sun up! I played mostly Norlin era Les Pauls over 10lbs and my back still hurts. I still have my gigging strap which was nice Leather with a thick sheepskin padding. Wide too. It helped a lot.

Can't do that anymore, hell I barely can play but I find the weighty beasts just fine for sitting'. I reserve the Historics and my favorite Melody Makers for standup plain'. The Melody Makers are great and I like 'em whole bunches. But my early 70's Goldtop Deluxe just sounds so good, same for my Kalamazoo made mid 70's flame top Strings and Things tone monster, Bad Betty. That guitar is just off the scale good!!