• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wine red Les Paul question

TheThe

Hi. New to here.
I'm going to buy wine red les paul standard/traditional, but the color seems too dark for my taste.
Are there any wine red Les Paul that isn't too dark?
Thanks.

zacknorton

To dark is pretty subjective. Hard to answer that without a visual example of what's "too dark" and what's "just right"

DavidAatCME

Agreed, I have a few at my shop and it's very subjective. I'd need to see pics to know what you're thinking is too red. IMO, the red ones, especially the 70's LP's are awesome!

shred

Cherry, which you see on early 70's customs is a slightly different colour than wine red, which is seen on mid 70's deluxes/customs. Cherry is darker and redder while wine red is lighter and browner. I wish I still had my '76 wine red deluxe to compare with the '73 cherry for you...

A couple pics of a cherry custom:

image_zps227r5fzq.jpeg

image_zpsff3tlaqc.jpeg

Last edited:

Kris Ford

You'll have to excuse the CSB and Natural photobombers, but this pic is an accurate color representation of my wine red '76 LP.

TheThe

Thanks everyone.
The color I want is like the one like Johnny Marr has.
It's almost like red one not wine red.
Reminds me of Harrison's Lucy.
Is there any standard or recent traditional that has this kind of color?

JM_HMRitual.jpg

2013GettyJM85052920_10130213.jpg

And this is what I meant "too dark"

134520570-3.jpg

251blckgrds

Look at some Cardinal red lp's and see if that is the color you are looking for. :)

Big Al

You do not want Wine Red, you want Cherry Red. More Kool Ade than Port. Not a common color and relatively rare.

Kris Ford

You do not want Wine Red, you want Cherry Red. More Kool Ade than Port. Not a common color and relatively rare.

Yep, to make cherry red, some blue is added to the red..to make wine red, MORE blue is added.:jim

Monroe

My Red Wine Custom is quite the chameleon.
(Never looks as red as the the one Marr is playing though)
Sometimes it looks oxblood or nearly black, sometimes it's much redder and the grain shows though.
And it seems the maple refects light differently than the mahogany.
Because in some light the back and sides look much lighter and brighter, and sometimes not.

close_03a_zps0zdyy3mx.jpg

nakedcoils.jpg

Fullshot.jpg

TheThe

Thanks. I should find Cherry Red Les Paul.

And thanks for all the pictures! I really like all of them :)

WBailey

I think Dickey Betts has a do-it-yourself tutorial. :hmm

You'll need; Jack Daniels, a cheese grater, and spray paint from Wal-Mart. :rofl

Big Al

I think Dickey Betts has a do-it-yourself tutorial. :hmm

You'll need; Jack Daniels, a cheese grater, and spray paint from Wal-Mart. :rofl

Thanks, I love passing coffee out my nose.:ha:laugh2: