• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1982 LP studio or XRIII?

cafcart

Im stuck. This 82 LP had a blank truss rod cover when I got it. I initially did some research and thought it was a Studio, so I installed a studio cover.

Now I see a post that said they didnt make studio until 83. Is this actually an XRIII? Any help is appreciated.

3DS_6098 by cafcart, on Flickr[/IMG]
25197278229_125e01a892_z.jpg
[/URL]3DS_6096 by cafcart, on Flickr[/IMG]

Guitar InfoYour guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
June 3rd, 1982
Production Number: 25

guide_story___gibson_les_paul_xr_series___studio_by_zachtan1234-d89ni2u.jpg

Last edited:

WBailey

When you have time, can you please post some pics of your guitar ?

It would be very helpful. :salude

Cool guitar nonetheless, enjoy ! :yah

WBailey

SOMETHING about this photo looks wonky ! ?

I thought better pics ?

IDK

25446270932_5f892c3b95_n.jpg

Hopefully, Big Al will wake up from his nap and chime in on this one ! :hee

Kind of a " head-scratcher " :hmm

WBailey

ok

I thought you were saying the headstock looks wonky

I've just never seen the logo touch the mustache.

But, I am not an expert. :salude

Also, what is so unique about the headstock ? :hmm

Kris Ford

I've just never seen the logo touch the mustache.

But, I am not an expert. :salude

Also, what is so unique about the headstock ? :hmm

'82 was when the big headstock went away, but had a shape that looks like the big headstock with straighter sides..tuner hole placement is the same for both.
I have seen many high logos like that, but only with the '82-'84/5 timeframe.:salude

Big Al

'82 was when the big headstock went away, but had a shape that looks like the big headstock with straighter sides..tuner hole placement is the same for both.
I have seen many high logos like that, but only with the '82-'84/5 timeframe.:salude

Exactly.

WBailey, you are right in that the headstock looks wonky. As Kris noted at that time wonky was more common than not. Both logos were applied by hand and were waterside decals, which are never placed exactly in the same place on these models. Compared to previous and the more modern versions, they look very wonky!:hank

Kris Ford

I believe this is due to the departure of the volute..and guessing they had to re-tool and make new jigs and such. These seem to be a modified version of the large headstocks.
Looks like it took a few years to finesse the headstock shape to the quasi 50's/60's shape that it is now.

Strings Jr.

Big Al is right again! You have a genuine, wonky head, XR III. But on the other hand, you have a very usable, reliable, guitar. I have several of these listed in my log book stamped on the same day, including 81542555 built on August 6th, 1982. Also, a Studio would have an ebony fingerboard.

cafcart

Thanks guys.

Now the question is how important is it for me to locate an XRIII TRC?