The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    A stone's throw from Malibu... if you throw REALLY hard! I mean REALLY hard!

Re: Craig Chaquico's quest to get his stolen '59 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul guitar back

Quote Originally Posted by JIMI55LP View Post
    It seams like if the case was found in favor of Cody legally owning the property that Craig would be liable for Cody's legal expense?? What I don't know about LAW, you could write volumes on but isn't that how it works? I'm going thru a succession where my attorney says "if your challenged and found to be correct then the legal fees are owed by the challenger that lost". If this isn't correct, I'm not understanding where you could go to defend yourself against any giant firm defending a well to do client?
    I'm no legal expert, but there was a chance that I could have been awarded legal expenses if the case had gone to trial and I won. Not a sure thing, but definitely something my attorney would have vigorously argued for.

However, this ended in a settlement before it went to trial, so the end result is less an expression of what the law says the outcome should be, and more whatever the parties could agree on in order for everyone to drop their lawsuits.

Everyone's expenses would have shot through the roof if it went to trial, so it was in the common interest to find a compromise before that. I've heard it said that in a good compromise, everyone walks away unhappy. In my case that meant that I got title to the guitar, but no reimbursement for legal fees.

I could have declined, taken my chances in court, and maybe have ended up a little better off... or possibly way, WAY worse off. Under the circumstances, given a host of f'ked up choices to pick from, I feel I made the right call.

Re: Craig Chaquico's quest to get his stolen '59 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul guitar back

I feel I made the right call.
    I think so Harry. You would have had to suffer the potential of many more years of litigation and negativity. At least you can put this behind you and move on. It completely sucks that you now have to sell your Burst. You were in a no win situation.

Best wishes for the future!

Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar

And so goes the American legal system. Years ago I worked for a franchisor. Even in instances where proprietary laws/patents were clearly broken, taking it to court was always a crap shoot. One that could potentially break you. What sometimes seems black and white can be open to judicial interpretation.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

You've got a good head on your shoulders about the thing. Good, honest, hard working people get shafted financially (or even worse) through the legal system every day. Of course, and vice versa.

This is just heart-breaking. It is one of the reasons I don't even want the serial numbers of my guitars known. I've purchased many of them at pawnshops or in music stores second-hand. I've purchased some in bars after gigs or had people who knew I collected bring them to me to buy when they needed money. I purchased all of my current collection in good faith and only about 10% of my 45 or so guitars were purchased new. The fact is, most of us aren't 100% sure we don't own a guitar that was stolen at some point. We only know what we were told when we purchased the instrument. Think about that for a while and let that sink in....

I'm truly sorry, Harry. This just isn't fair. At all.

Jeff

Les Paul Forum Member Blues Bird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreylucky1 View Post
    This is just heart-breaking. It is one of the reasons I don't even want the serial numbers of my guitars known. I've purchased many of them at pawnshops or in music stores second-hand. I've purchased some in bars after gigs or had people who knew I collected bring them to me to buy when they needed money. I purchased all of my current collection in good faith and only about 10% of my 45 or so guitars were purchased new. The fact is, most of us aren't 100% sure we don't own a guitar that was stolen at some point. We only know what we were told when we purchased the instrument. Think about that for a while and let that sink in....

I'm truly sorry, Harry. This just isn't fair. At all.

Jeff
    Can't help it, but I am not quite sure whether you know what good faith is all about. At least buying guitars from walk-ins in shady bars wouldn't make it on my short list about good faith.
    Last edited by Blues Bird; 04-20-17 at 07:50 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
    Can't help it, but I am not quite sure whether you know what good faith is all about. At least buying guitars from walk-ins in shady bars wouldn't make it on my short list on good faith.
    same here , I agree .Ditto for the second hand stores and pawn shops .

Les Paul Forum Member

I wonder if Craig Chaquico will try to buy the burst when it goes on the block ?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    same here , I agree .Ditto for the second hand stores and pawn shops .
    So if you were in the market for a burst and you found one in a pawn shop in your price range, you wouldn't consider it?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by djcmusician View Post
    So if you were in the market for a burst and you found one in a pawn shop in your price range, you wouldn't consider it?
    No, apart from The Music Zoo, Dave's Guitars , Wildwood , and Lark Street Music that's where I spend my cash because I know and trust them .To me it's all about TRUST .I cultivate friendships through business and work towards good deals via return sales and future sales .

I cultivate friendships through business and work towards good deals via return sales and future sales .

--------

what does this mean?

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by talonmm View Post
    I cultivate friendships through business and work towards good deals via return sales and future sales .

--------

what does this mean?
    I make friends with those that I conduct business with .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I wonder if Craig Chaquico will try to buy the burst when it goes on the block ?
    Being the writer that I am, I can't help thinking of the conspiracy theory aspect of this. That Craig's intent all along was to maneuver you into selling the guitar and he'd snap it right back up. I would have to assume that if you sold it someone other than him, your agreement to let him "borrow" it on occasion will become null and void, and that any new owner will not be bound by that. If it is at all possible, I would sell it to anyone EXCEPT him. Fuck the guy.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    Being the writer that I am, I can't help thinking of the conspiracy theory aspect of this. That Craig's intent all along was to maneuver you into selling the guitar and he'd snap it right back up. I would have to assume that if you sold it someone other than him, your agreement to let him "borrow" it on occasion will become null and void, and that any new owner will not be bound by that. If it is at all possible, I would sell it to anyone EXCEPT him. Fuck the guy.
    I have my reservations about this due to what the asking price will be now (considerably larger than way back in the 70's)

You're probably right. I would doubt he has the scratch for this. Still, if he did, he could always have someone straw purchase it for him. Cody would never know until the news broke that Craig is reunited with his stolen burst!

I don't see any indication that CC would like to purchase this guitar from Cody at today's market price

You may be right, in which case the irony is two-fold. Now, neither one will have access to it.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    I think somewhere, in the last 20 pages of this thread, it is mentioned about this possibility from the beginning. When Craig and Cody came into contact over this, I'm pretty sure it was discussed about buying it.
    Might be a long read.
    Or, it could be from and early thread on the same subject.

Cody is a very reasonable guy, to say the very least.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

I've read this whole thread.
    Sorry for all the troubles with this guitar.

I would sell the house .

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StudioFan View Post
    I've read this whole thread.
    Sorry for all the troubles with this guitar.

I would sell the house .
    It's a valuable guitar, absolutely no doubt about that.

What's priceless in this whole thing is doing the right thing by one's family...and with the greatest respect I believe that's what Harry's doing.

Tip of the hat from here, from someone who's recently had to do the same thing, albeit not with a 'Burst - but with every guitar and amp bar one...first time since I was a kid am I down to one guitar. It bloody hurts.

I'd do it again tomorrow to keep my people safe.

Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

A sad ending to a sucky story. Best of luck in the days ahead!
    Game on!

I can understand doing the right thing . Hats off to those that do. A very valuable guitar indeed.
    Perhaps this is why a certain east coast collector is so secretive.
    It just seems like everyone thinks there is only one option here . There are a few options.
    He said house or guitar .
    The whole point of all of this was to KEEP the guitar so why stop now ?
    You can live just about anywhere.. home loans for most are easy to come by .
    Mind you I don't know the full details of Cody's life .

So is the guitar up for sale ?

Or do you wanna say F the lawyers and CC and keep the axe !
    There is another option where you keep the guitar.
    Best of luck to you !

Les Paul Forum Member Blues Bird's Avatar

I can understand doing the right thing . Hats off to those that do. A very valuable guitar indeed.
    It just seems like everyone thinks there is only one option here . There are a few options.

Best of luck to you !
    Dude, how old are you? Sixteen?

Les Paul Forum Member

A little off track, but now this.... even though i agree with some of it.http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ame-use-998446

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by troyvod View Post
    A little off track, but now this.... even though i agree with some of it.http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ame-use-998446

Spending your life going from one lawsuit to another sounds like a life of misery.

Best of luck to you !

Wow! Not sure about those priorities either.

Honey I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we have to downsize to a smaller house and the kids need to change schools. The good news is that I got to keep the 'Burst.
    Last edited by jalevinemd; 05-01-17 at 07:59 PM.

It has obviously always been ALL about having the guitar. 20 pages about this now.

So I talk about one way to keep it or ways to keep everything and I am immature and have MY priorities wrong . WTH ?

Did the family or the house come first when you spent a fortune on an old LP ?

It has obviously always been ALL about having the guitar. 20 pages about this now.

So I talk about one way to keep it or ways to keep everything and I am immature and have MY priorities wrong . WTH ?

Did the family or the house come first when you spent a fortune on an old LP ?
    Having the money available to purchase an expensive vintage guitar is one thing. Having to invest quite possibly close to that same amount to fight an arduous legal battle to keep it is something else.

Personally, having to deal with all the legal BS would likely ruin the fun of burst ownership... At least for me... YMMV...

Hey, as far as I know Cody still has his custom Ibanez

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz7qVujQwYc

Apparently, the asking price is $340k.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Personally, having to deal with all the legal BS would likely ruin the fun of burst ownership... At least for me... YMMV...

Hey, as far as I know Cody still has his custom Ibanez

The old hammer and sickle.....Workers and laborers of the world unite!!!!!!!!! Oh....and guitarists, too, I suppose?!?!
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920