• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe B.'s Interview on Reverb

rgrace

+1 :salude

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bt-RoSzsEKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0bJv27jmMxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

*edit* Music appreciation (for whatever reason) seems to be generational... I'd be interested in what the parents of forum members who were kids when Zeppelin, Hendrix etc were cutting edge thought of it. Did your "Glen Miller era" parents like it or think it was a bunch of noise? :hmm

Both of the fine gentlemen you so kindly posted have definitely spent a lot of time listening to King Crimson. Both are fantastic. Tosin Abasi in particular just completely gobsmacked me. That piece has an awful lot going on. I think he has more taste then Felix, good as he also is. Thanks for opening my ear to someone new. :salude

rgrace

>>The biggest problem right now is the consolidation of radiostation ownership combined with collusion with the recording arm. Most of the big shifts in music from previous decades were large market independant DJs playing new sounding acts they were aware of... That does not happen in a way that reaches the masses in an effective way and will not until there is a way to introduce new stuff to accepting ears. Most youtube searches are for material the individual already knows they like. Radio was a unifying force to bring in new material in the context of old. Things are either too fragmented (youtube, satellite etc) or too uniform (corporate controled radio).

BAM! Could not agree more. Radio has retreated to the state it was in the early 50's when Pat Boone was the cutting edge. It's an oligarchy now, and what we get now is precisely what they're willing to give us. Which is nothing. Nothing but nostalgia or current unchallenging pop. Someday, perhaps the tide will turn again, but first Clear Channel has to go away...

shred

Both of the fine gentlemen you so kindly posted have definitely spent a lot of time listening to King Crimson. Both are fantastic. Tosin Abasi in particular just completely gobsmacked me. That piece has an awful lot going on. I think he has more taste then Felix, good as he also is. Thanks for opening my ear to someone new. :salude

Glad you liked them. Tosin's doing really well. He's getting some decent press and is currently is on the Generation Axe tour next month with Yngwie, Steve Vai, Zakk Wylde and Nuno :dude:

http://www.vai.com/generation-axe-a-night-of-guitars-tour/

image_zpsvdfrrxsd.jpeg

Btw I decided to start another thread in the backstage on this subject.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?199533-The-future-of-rock

Last edited:

Ace139

Rival Sons !!!!

Can't believe that I just heard of this group. Think they have been around for about 5 years or so. Going to go see them when they come through with Sabbath. Actually going because of them not so much the Sabbath.

Have even "Purchased a couple of their actual CDs"

Check'em out if you have not

Pressure and Time (Out In The Tiles - Flavor)
Face of Light
Electric Man

Doc Sausage

There is a growing stoner rock movement, predominantly in Europe, with new bands emerging on a weekly basis almost. That scene consists mostly of people who are generally sick of electronics and computers in rock music. It's back to loud valve amps, jamming, recording on tape, buying vinyl and smoking weed. ;)

None of those are gonna be big rock stars. Those days are over, and to be honest, I am kinda glad. It got artificial and unauthentic pretty quickly. For me it feels like a healthy change, with many going back to the roots of blues and rock n roll. To name but a few...

Simeon Soul Charger, Colour Haze, All Them Witches, Sundog, Mount Hush, The Picturebooks...

So don't worry. It's gonna be fine. :)

"Stoner Rock" - Now that has some potential! Great thread. I think I've read similar here before. As pointed out, it's a time honored argument. There was a brief period when my kids were growing up that we liked the same things. I thought something was very wrong! It wasn't, because that soon changed. From Joe's perspective, it is certainly unnerving to watch the virtuosity of master and his instrument be 'reduced' to perfunctory, man-behind-the-curtain, e-music.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to plug my Lester's into fire-breathing valve amps and dream I am a rock star, wake up in the morning and return to my mundane day job and thank my lucky stars it isn't all slipping away. But wait, it is! I "All glory is fleeting...." - George Patton

Dok Martin

"Stoner Rock" - Now that has some potential! Great thread. I think I've read similar here before. As pointed out, it's a time honored argument. There was a brief period when my kids were growing up that we liked the same things. I thought something was very wrong! It wasn't, because that soon changed. From Joe's perspective, it is certainly unnerving to watch the virtuosity of master and his instrument be 'reduced' to perfunctory, man-behind-the-curtain, e-music.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to plug my Lester's into fire-breathing valve amps and dream I am a rock star, wake up in the morning and return to my mundane day job and thank my lucky stars it isn't all slipping away. But wait, it is! I "All glory is fleeting...." - George Patton

There's no shame in having a day job. As for the rest...

Damn I almost forgot about Black Mirrors...

Don't know about you, but I see a bright future. :)

66SuperTremMKIV

Thank god I came thru the great period of '70s and '80s Rock, Punk, Glam, New Romantic, Ska, Reggae, Electronic etc etc..... what great great bands throughout that whole period.

Compared to what kids have today :bigal

AC/DC were just named the biggest touring act of 2015 ahead of Taylor Swift.

Guitar based music will never die. People who put their heart and soul into playing a Real Instrument. Who would have thought a Freakin DJ would have the status of a Rock Star. Or that Bland Rap, I have tried to listen to a whole albums worth of that rubbish, but couldn't. Let alone paying $$$$ to go see a Rap concert :hee

Walking through the mega sized shopping centre in Wukesong , Beijing, and what comes over the sound system for customers to enjoy ?........ The Boys are Back In Town !!! Thin Lizzy :dude: Beijing , China !!! ...... All is right with the World

mistersnappy

Seems like the real assertion here is that unless you play a "traditional" instrument, you are less of an artist. Hogwash.

Last edited: