• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need opinions/advice between to GC Studio Deluxes - To G-Force or not

crhoades

I think I know what many will say - that said...
My background: Total beginner. Going to take lessons and apply myself. I'm in my early 40's, married and no kids so I have some money to spare.

I want to purchase a guitar and have done the internet searches and have come to the following 2 guitars:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-III-EX-Electric-Guitar.gc
$1,199 - in honey burst

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-III-Electric-Guitar.gc
$1,499

From what I can tell, the only difference is the G-Force tuner - am I correct?

Things that drew me to this guitar is the pickups (Classic 57 and Super 57), the finish, and the price.

Things I am concerned about - which to get - G'Force or no... and I've read a lot on these forums about the 2015's and these look to be 2015.

I've seen others on this forum have bought these - what are your thoughts?

The shortcuts person in me looks at the G-Force and thinks wow that is easy. The rep at GC said to stay away. The EX version has standard tuners and is $300 bucks cheaper. Or am I missing another model altogether?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I realize this could become a flame war so flame away!

Kris Ford

Save your $$$ and get the 1199 one..
LEARN to tune.
There are NO shortcuts in playing guitar.:salude

Big Al

It is very helpful to have the Gforce and some find it extremely helpful. Some hate it, I'm more ambivalent towards it. It can be replaced with regular tuners if you want.

Beginning guitar is daunting enough, so my advise is to get the one that speaks to you the loudest. The one that just looks so right. Having a visual attraction to the instrument helps to bond and dig into playing it. Over time you will discover all the little nuances that YOU prefer and will adjust accordingly. Just get the one that makes you moist.:hank

crhoades

@Kris Ford - Absolutely have LEARN to tune regardless. Shortcuts are so tempting though. They look like magic. Strum a string and it's in tune. I've also read about the complaints. This is all really daunting.

@Big Al - they both make me moist. They are identical guitars - just one has the g-force and the other doesn't. The 300 buck savings will almost pay for the amp...

I did call guitar center - the one that's 1199 is a closeout and is an early 2015 model with the wider neck etc. They do have one in stock that is the same but a later 2015 serial number with a more standard neck width. They are willing to cut me a deal that puts it in my hands at close to the closeout price. Does all of that make sense? Not sure when all of these changes are happening especially with GC exclusives. The guy at the store said to steer away from the g-force and also wasn't happy with the 2015's in general which is what i've read so far on this forum.

Since that is the last one in stock with the standard tuners, I'm going ahead and pulling the trigger - I can always return it and go for the other one.

Any more final wisdom? For this price range, it looks to be a solid choice. I just know that in 1 week I will find something different, better after more research. Guess you have to start somewhere and this looks like a good starting point.

Big Al

@Kris Ford - Absolutely have LEARN to tune regardless. Shortcuts are so tempting though. They look like magic. Strum a string and it's in tune. I've also read about the complaints. This is all really daunting.

@Big Al - they both make me moist. They are identical guitars - just one has the g-force and the other doesn't. The 300 buck savings will almost pay for the amp...

I did call guitar center - the one that's 1199 is a closeout and is an early 2015 model with the wider neck etc. They do have one in stock that is the same but a later 2015 serial number with a more standard neck width. They are willing to cut me a deal that puts it in my hands at close to the closeout price. Does all of that make sense? Not sure when all of these changes are happening especially with GC exclusives. The guy at the store said to steer away from the g-force and also wasn't happy with the 2015's in general which is what i've read so far on this forum.

Since that is the last one in stock with the standard tuners, I'm going ahead and pulling the trigger - I can always return it and go for the other one.

Any more final wisdom? For this price range, it looks to be a solid choice. I just know that in 1 week I will find something different, better after more research. Guess you have to start somewhere and this looks like a good starting point.

Sounds like you have the right idea. My point is with either system you still have to learn to tune. Having a guitar you love makes it easier to learn. A kinda motivational thing. Saving $300 is always a good thing. A few dollars more and you can score a nice Fender Blues Jr. You are already looking like a savvy shopper. All the best on your search, post lots of pics when you get it.

Kris Ford

That 3 bills savings could put this on your receipt...:ganz
20160227_190425-1.jpg

jrfisher

Having the G-force is probably a good idea. It will make tuning up faster and get you to the joy of playing a bit quicker. And if you decide to sell the guitar, the G-Force might make it easier to sell to another young guitarist looking for ease of entry into the playing world.

It's easy to have it and not use it.

It's harder to not have it and wish you did.

DaMang

I don't really like the G force tuners.Am I the only one who second guesses electronic tuners ??.Sometimes,they just sound "not quite right",even when they say you are perfectly in tune ?.

johnnyha

I'm not so sure the GForce is gonna be a smart investment. Nor almost any 2015 LP guitar. I second the 2016 Studio Faded T at $799.

jeffreylucky1

I tried the 2015 models when they came out. The G-Force didn't work exactly right on any of the 5+ models I tested. I think it is a gimmick that sounds great in theory, but doesn't work too well in practice. I also didn't like the zero fret/metal nut and I didn't really care for the neck profile.
I cannot imagine trying to use a G-Force at a gig on a dimly lit stage. One would have to tilt their head behind the headstock and squint and fumble around the little buttons to choose a setting and the tuners on those are not friendly to manual tuning (turning the peg by hand) at all.
Plus, they look like crap. :dang

Now, if I was a BEGINNER and I didn't gig, I may have been in the market for a system that could tune for me and do alternate tunings easily.
That being said, I am very glad that I learned to tune the old fashioned way.

JMHO

Jeff