• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are all les paul standard faded models weight relieved?

Scott L

It they were " Full Solid Body " there would have been a lot of advertising about it, like the 2013-2014 Traditionals.

DanD

I'm probably wrong then. Both sellers stated they weren't relived but I'm guessing they were mistaken.

These guitars are merely product to many sellers. Some sellers consider chambered to be weight relieved. Some are just trying to sell and purposely use misinformation.

All USA LPs, that were not of a few particularly rare runs done by certain dealers, have had 9 hole 'Swiss cheese' or in Gibson speak 'Traditional Weight Relief' from 1982 to mid 2006 when chambering was used for a few years.

Gibson Historic models from '94 to present, other than the CR series which use a slightly different chamber from the USA line, use no weight relief.

Gibson CS (Custom Shop) LPs often use 9 hole relief but some runs did not.

Clear as mud now? There is loads of misinformation in regard to these specs spewed by sellers especially on the 'bay.

There are also so many LPs changing hands that the buyer can simply choose not to purchase from the misinformed.

Good luck on the hunt! :peace2

Last edited:

nibus

These guitars are merely product to many sellers. Some sellers consider chambered to be weight relieved. Some are just trying to sell and purposely use misinformation.

All USA LPs, that were not of a few particularly rare runs done by certain dealers, have had 9 hole 'Swiss cheese' or in Gibson speak 'Traditional Weight Relief' from 1982 to mid 2006 when chambering was used for a few years.

Gibson Historic models from '94 to present, other than the CR series which use a slightly different chamber from the USA line, use no weight relief.

Gibson CS (Custom Shop) LPs often use 9 hole relief but some runs did not.

Clear as mud now? There is loads of misinformation in regard to these specs spewed by sellers especially on the 'bay.

There are also so many LPs changing hands that the buyer can simply choose not to purchase from the misinformed.

Good luck on the hunt! :peace2

That is very helpful, thanks!

GC Ron

Never say never or that something wasn't made a certain way when talking about Gibson. Build specs or colors for that matter.

I have had way too many to count go through my hands the last 17+ years. Spec may call for two piece backs on many models but you will find one piece backs here and there. I bought a brand new Trad Pro II in '14 and it has a one piece back though spec says two piece. Of all the ones we have sold that is the only one that had the one piece back. I check the backs on every Les Paul we get in new or used.

DanD

Based on the weights of those Trads I'm guessing some form of weight relief was used. There were a few years of Trads, from '13-'15 I think, that used solid backs. The new spec for '16 went back to 9 hole (Swiss cheese) Traditional Weight Relief.

I really wouldn't sweat the 9 hole relief as there isn't a tonal disadvantage that I can hear. Many others feel the same way. It just takes a little weight off your shoulder.

A few of those have weights under 9 pounds which I'd find very agreeable. However, for a few dollars more I'd search for a used GT or plain top Historic. :peace2

sonar

They are definitely weight relieved. I have one and it's 7.9 lbs.

Or chambered?

7.9 lbs. is a really light Les Paul Standard. My '08 LPSF (chambered) is 8.1 lbs.

Fwiw, I'm all about chambered LP's and don't consider it a deciding factor when buying a guitar. A good guitar is a good guitar. It doesn't matter if a LP is solid, weight relieved or chambered.

Roland-

Hi!

My '08 Lester Standard Faded is a 2pc back, no doubt.
It weighs 7.9lbs and super comfortable to play the whole gig.

When I bought the guitar (I believe in '11) I had the bridge, tailpiece and tuners replaced with tonepros parts and a graphtech nut. It now stays in tune very well, no issues there whatsoever.
The last thing I recently did was I upgraded it with 50's wiring which made the guitar sound a little bit more open.

Sure the finish is more likely to get playing wear, but I love this guitar so much because of the playability, sound and looks.
+ IMHO the Les(s) lacquer on the guitar the more resonant the instrument & more open/woody the sound will be.
I experienced this with all my guitars (heavily relic esquire, matt finished taylor acoustic) and that's why my LPSF stood out in comparison to the lacquered LPS.

I'm new to the forum so I hope that I uploaded the picture of my guitar correct.

(excuse me for any flaws in my English, I'm from Holland)

Cheers!
5152868482.jpg

Last edited:

DanD

There are some new Fadeds that are close to 10lbs. also...

I think Gibson changed the spec from chambered to modern weight relief (MWR). Some of the Standards with MWR weigh over 10 pounds. Wildwood is good place to check the specs and spot trends as they always list weight and neck size. Seems to me that the USA line of late is definitely getting heavier, regardless of the type of weight relief.

FWIW, my '06 chambered BFG only weighs 7.2 pounds. The first round of chambering took out more material. Later chambering left more wood in the bridge area. There are many photos of the different styles of weight relief, many on this forum.

DanD

Wow! That makes me happy, but unless Gibson advertises it I'd say with 99% certainty that it's either weight relieved or chambered.

2d spec from Z sounds states MWR. :peace2

Features:
- Bound plain maple top
- Mahogany body with modern weight relief
- Fixed mahogany neck with round '50s profile and a bound rosewood fretboard
- Pearl trapezoid inlays
- 1-11/16" nut width
- '57 Classic pickups
- 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs
- Nickel Hardware
- Faded Honeyburst Finish

thunderkyss

I've only got two LPs. A '98 Standard & a 2012 Classic (GT).

The guy spending whatever time he spent to weight relieve or chamber my '98 wasted his freak'n time. The thing weighs 12~13 pounds or something like that.

I never weighed my Classic, but it's a lot lighter, damng near feels like an acoustic in comparison.

The Standard sounds better.

Zentar

Typically the Classic weighs more. The Standard has a different style of weight relief.
The Mahogany density varies tree to tree. Density can vary so much that it overcomes the style of weight relief.