• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Interesting Task

akstrat61

Last week the brother of one my past bandmates walked into my business. This friend moved out to Colorado and hence had to the leave the band we were playing in. Anyways, his brother comes in and asks me to help him out. Apparently, a family tradition is that the family business buys their kids a really nice present for their 40th birthday. He asks me if I would source a guitar for the birthday present and help them out. I immediately ask what kind of money we are talking and he responds they usually spend 3-7K!:spabout

That budget really opens a few doors. The guy plays a lot of classic rock and a bit of worship music. He currently owns a PRS and a couple of cheap Fenders. He has played most of my vintage guitars and a couple of Historics that I own. I thought about maybe a vintage Jr or Special, but I think he may be a better candidate for a nice Historic. Hence, where to start??:hmm

I live in northern Minnesota and don't have ready access to a shop where I can go and try a few out. I am friends with a few dealers that frequent this board and will contact one of them once I narrow my choice down and ask for their assistance. I am not apposed to a used Historic/CC and kind of like the aged pieces if I can can work that in? So please offer your opinion, model, years, other? I appreciate the expertise on this board and have become friends with a few of you and trust your input! Thanks in advance!:salude:salude

Grayd8

Last week the brother of one my past bandmates walked into my business. This friend moved out to Colorado and hence had to the leave the band we were playing in. Anyways, his brother comes in and asks me to help him out. Apparently, a family tradition is that the family business buys their kids a really nice present for their 40th birthday. He asks me if I would source a guitar for the birthday present and help them out. I immediately ask what kind of money we are talking and he responds they usually spend 3-7K!:spabout

That budget really opens a few doors. The guy plays a lot of classic rock and a bit of worship music. He currently owns a PRS and a couple of cheap Fenders. He has played most of my vintage guitars and a couple of Historics that I own. I thought about maybe a vintage Jr or Special, but I think he may be a better candidate for a nice Historic. Hence, where to start??:hmm

I live in northern Minnesota and don't have ready access to a shop where I can go and try a few out. I am friends with a few dealers that frequent this board and will contact one of them once I narrow my choice down and ask for their assistance. I am not apposed to a used Historic/CC and kind of like the aged pieces if I can can work that in? So please offer your opinion, model, years, other? I appreciate the expertise on this board and have become friends with a few of you and trust your input! Thanks in advance!:salude:salude

Mark Bishop of Marks Guitar loft is excellent at listening to what kind of sound you are looking for in a guitar, and describing the differences between the guitars he has in stock. Since most of his business is conducted online, he has to be good at interpreting what the customer wants.

When I bought my R9 I told him I was looking for a classic rock tone like Don Felder of the Eagles. I was on the fence between two different R9's at the time. He said the one I was leaning to had more of a higher end of the sound spectrum sound, kinda like Jimmy Page and the other one had more of the midrange sound I was looking for. I went with his suggestion & he nailed it, the first night I had the guitar I played from 5 in the evening until 2 in the morning. It's still my number one, even though I now have two Historic's.

akstrat61

It really would be nice to find another Skinnerburst!!! :dude:

I'm leaning towards a late model R9, CC or similar? 2014-15 maybe??

Guitardon

Mark Bishop of Marks Guitar loft is excellent at listening to what kind of sound you are looking for in a guitar, and describing the differences between the guitars he has in stock..

Ditto,and he always has a large selection of reasonable price for guitars in stock.