• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

rock groups with a classic Les Paul sound

elephantman

Wow man, why all the vitriol? I was mostly just pointing out that this thread had maybe veered off its intended path. It started as an opinion thing about examples of "classic" Les Paul tone, and turned into what appears to be just straight list of bands/musicians who have at some point used a Les Paul. Maybe it boils down to our definitions of classic.

And I'll stand by my example of Ace Frehley, thank you (I assume he's the buffoon). Hopeless drunk? Yeah (at one time, anyway). Clown make-up? Check. Foot in mouth? Depends who you believe, but I can see it. Simplistic, neanderthal rock n roll? Dig it. But when I think of what a Les Paul sounds like, that's what it is. Now, I'll admit that my interpretation of Les Paul tone is probably more Les Paul/Marshall tone, but I'd say that's pretty common. I don't know what kind of amp Robert Johnson played his Les Paul through.

Big Al

Wow man, why all the vitriol? I was mostly just pointing out that this thread had maybe veered off its intended path. It started as an opinion thing about examples of "classic" Les Paul tone, and turned into what appears to be just straight list of bands/musicians who have at some point used a Les Paul. Maybe it boils down to our definitions of classic.

And I'll stand by my example of Ace Frehley, thank you (I assume he's the buffoon). Hopeless drunk? Yeah (at one time, anyway). Clown make-up? Check. Foot in mouth? Depends who you believe, but I can see it. Simplistic, neanderthal rock n roll? Dig it. But when I think of what a Les Paul sounds like, that's what it is. Now, I'll admit that my interpretation of Les Paul tone is probably more Les Paul/Marshall tone, but I'd say that's pretty common. I don't know what kind of amp Robert Johnson played his Les Paul through.

No, you mostly pointed out how everyone was wrong about Classic Tone and gave two examples of what you claim was right. One example by a brain dead moron who can barely play and at his best only could muster so so average, indistinct tone common in garages and basements at the time. I gave examples of Les Paul players and groups from the time of Classic Rock, as I was there, I thought some would like to check out some excellent examples of Les Paul tone from the "Classic" period.

Peter Hackets work with early Genisis and his solo work after is worth a listen. Amazing style and tone.

Jan Akermans Les Paul tone in Focus and later on his own is again a stellar example of Classic Les Paul Tone.

Jimmy Page… I can't even answer the ridiculous assertion you made regarding his tone.

Robert Johnson is a well know session player and solo artist who favored Vintage Les Pauls. He is the king of tone from Memphis and has an exc ellent vintage flavored approach that is a nice variant of Les Paul Tone. His Solo LP "Close Personal Friend" is worth listening to.

No, it only seems like you have declared your own narrow vision of something that you obviously have little knowledge of and no appreciation for. It was not up to you to declare what the original intent of the thread was nor your declaration of what Classic Les Paul Tone is. To declare Ace as having THE Classic Tone begs one to ask, WHICH??? The tones recorded by Derringer? Or the tracks recorded by Hunter? Which studio guitarists did it best, as it is well known most of Ace's tracks were overdubbed by better guitarists. On the few he actually does play on it is indistinct and average at best. He is your guy, I get that, he did pose as inspiration for little posers who sometimes grew up to be monster players. But it is hard to hear the Ace in any of them as they have gone beyond that.

No, if we go by your post the OP should have been, " Ace and Koss, best tone ever, end of discussion." I wouldn't even have responded if you said I like Ace and Koss best. That is your opinion, but as you seemed intent on ridiculing my choices and then declaring only yours were valid, did indeed piss me off.

Ignorance is a sad thing and declaring ones ignorance in a public forum must be embarrassing. It is all there to read and such declarations are so lame, especially on a wide ranging subject that opens up sharing and dialog on a wide ranging subject that might just lead some to seek out things they were unaware of.

Do yerself a favor and open your mind and ears.

latkagravas

No, you mostly pointed out how everyone was wrong about Classic Tone and gave two examples of what you claim was right. One example by a brain dead moron who can barely play and at his best only could muster so so average, indistinct tone common in garages and basements at the time. I gave examples of Les Paul players and groups from the time of Classic Rock, as I was there, I thought some would like to check out some excellent examples of Les Paul tone from the "Classic" period.

Peter Hackets work with early Genisis and his solo work after is worth a listen. Amazing style and tone.

Jan Akermans Les Paul tone in Focus and later on his own is again a stellar example of Classic Les Paul Tone.

Jimmy Page… I can't even answer the ridiculous assertion you made regarding his tone.

Robert Johnson is a well know session player and solo artist who favored Vintage Les Pauls. He is the king of tone from Memphis and has an exc ellent vintage flavored approach that is a nice variant of Les Paul Tone. His Solo LP "Close Personal Friend" is worth listening to.

No, it only seems like you have declared your own narrow vision of something that you obviously have little knowledge of and no appreciation for. It was not up to you to declare what the original intent of the thread was nor your declaration of what Classic Les Paul Tone is. To declare Ace as having THE Classic Tone begs one to ask, WHICH??? The tones recorded by Derringer? Or the tracks recorded by Hunter? Which studio guitarists did it best, as it is well known most of Ace's tracks were overdubbed by better guitarists. On the few he actually does play on it is indistinct and average at best. He is your guy, I get that, he did pose as inspiration for little posers who sometimes grew up to be monster players. But it is hard to hear the Ace in any of them as they have gone beyond that.

No, if we go by your post the OP should have been, " Ace and Koss, best tone ever, end of discussion." I wouldn't even have responded if you said I like Ace and Koss best. That is your opinion, but as you seemed intent on ridiculing my choices and then declaring only yours were valid, did indeed piss me off.

Ignorance is a sad thing and declaring ones ignorance in a public forum must be embarrassing. It is all there to read and such declarations are so lame, especially on a wide ranging subject that opens up sharing and dialog on a wide ranging subject that might just lead some to seek out things they were unaware of.

Do yerself a favor and open your mind and ears.

I disagree about Frehley`s playing ability. he could play really well back then, have you listened to his work?? on the other hand it is not the classic les paul sound as he preferred dimarzio super distortion pickups which we all know were pretty high output

Big Al

I disagree about Frehley`s playing ability. he could play really well back then, have you listened to his work?? on the other hand it is not the classic les paul sound as he preferred dimarzio super distortion pickups which we all know were pretty high output

I am referencing his live stuff in particular. If you have any video of him from a concert that was put out as a record you can hear the difference Bob Ezrin made. Mostly replacing his guitar tracks with Studio Guitarist. Those probably make him sound better to most. Hey, people like what they like, but I would think any guitar player could tell the difference between good or great tone and mediocre tone played badly.

As to the best Les Paul Tone, no, not even on the list. IMO.:laugh2:

latkagravas

that`s not true. Ace was replaced on a few songs on destroyer, alive II side four except for his own track rocket ride and on the elder. he was leaving the band in 82 when they recorded Creatures of the night

Tim H.

When I started this thread, I was listening to the Allman Brothers and it made me think of what a classic tone their guitars had. You can hear they are playing LP's. It wasn't an attempt to list all bands who ever played a Les Paul. I admit I have never been a Kiss fan,and don't want to degrade someone's hero, but I agree with Al. Ace would never make my list. By latkagravas' own admission, his guitars were using super distortion pups anyway altering the original tone. I was looking to list classic rock bands that when you hear the guitar breaks you say to yourself "that's a Les Paul."

Snakum

So what are yu? The mayor of "Classic Tone Town"? The fact that you cite a buffoon as having "the purest Paul tone" is pretty laughable, as is the inference that there is only one type tone and style that is valid. What a load of crap.:bigal

Damn. Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Hotter Than Hell is Les Paul straight into a cranked Super Lead. But yes .... he was already using Larry Dimarzio's SDs. I read somewhere HTH was recorded with less processing/mods of the guitar tones. And it does sound noticeably different from the albums on either side of it.

If it has to be pure LP with minimal processing the list gets smaller. Thin Lizzy and early Aerosmith comes to mind. REO Speedwagon live. ABB live.

Billy Gibbons used Strats and Teles on a lot of stuff. Skynyrd generally had only one LP on a track and if it was slide you're usually hearing an SG from Gary Rossington .

If most of us were honest we'd admit that we can tell the difference between humbucking solid bodys and single coil solids. Even live most bands use so much processing it makes determining PRS vs. Les Paul vs. Whatever unlikely.

Last edited:

Doc Sausage

"The definitive Les Paul tone." That's a tough one, to say the least. It's an almost infinitely versatile tone machine through the same amp and player. (Joe B demos that somewhere out in the ether) Throw in bands, hands, amps, producers, engineers, processors and even eras and well, I'll let you all duke it out!

mariushoog

Frampton, Mick Ronson (already mentioned, but imo he deserves more credit than he usually gets), BillY Joe Armstrong, Joe Perry, Lenny Kravitz, Neil Young, Mike McCready. Just to name a few more .... great differences in tone, but most of them i really like.

Shakey

Les Paul! I'd have to say that he "THE" Les Paul tone and no one has even given him a mention!

Karldoog

Honestly guys, unless every single band you're listing is using the SAME amp and effect, how can ANYONE realistically speak of a "classic Les Paul tone".

The only TRUE Les Paul tone is an LP played unplugged. Everything else after that depends on your amp settings and----dare I say it?---the PLAYER.

guitplayer

Charlie has faithfully played les pauls since the 60`s.
With the tone pot(s) not connected. A true Les Paul sound.
Note d that he played Dean Guitars since 2004 when they became artist/free.
Sweden

Last edited:

Burstlover

I always considered Steve Hunter's work with Lou Reed (you know, the Rock n Roll Animal thing) and on Aerosmith's Get Your Wings to be the ultimate Les Paul tone. And yeah, I'm aware some of it probably wasn't done on a Les Paul.

You heard correctly. For 'Rock n Roll Animal' and 'Train Kept A Rollin' Steve used a 59 TV Special. Sadly he had to sell that guitar many years ago. :dude: