• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why Norlins get the bad rap? My 79 custom is a superb player

brandtkronholm

Artisan, not Custom and another unique Norlin variant. Love the Walnut stained ones. Dave Davies of the Kinks used one for a long time.

See? I told you I stopped reading! :XRE

- and yes, the Walnut is actually a very cool colour on these!

marshall1987

From 1969 to 1985, Gibson-Norlin guitars were responsible for engendering more recorded and live classic rock than any other make of guitar, with perhaps one exception; i.e., Fender Stratocasters. Nuff said.

:band

Tony Baloney

See? I told you I stopped reading! :XRE

- and yes, the Walnut is actually a very cool colour on these!

Actually the guitar in the picture is walnut...very very dark stain. Most people confuse it for a black beauty if they are standing more than a few feet from the guitar.

Tim H.

I have a LP standard with Shaw pickups built in May of 1986. Is this considered a Norlin era guitar? Not that it matters, as it has great tone and a fast neck and I really enjoy playing it.

guitplayer

From 1969 to 1985, Gibson-Norlin guitars were responsible for engendering more recorded and live classic rock than any other make of guitar, with perhaps one exception; i.e., Fender Stratocasters. Nuff said.

:band

Tony Baloney

Artisan, not Custom and another unique Norlin variant. Love the Walnut stained ones. Dave Davies of the Kinks used one for a long time.

To set the record straight mine is walnut stained...it's such a dark brown stain that it looks black

renderit

I used to be a anti Norlin guy because they were all I could afford in the 70's. I figured if they were all I could afford they must be crap. I wanted the "better" ones. Just recently saw pictures that sobered me up to Norlins. I used to love the Doobie Brothers and saw them many times. I remembered being so impressed with Patrick Simmons getting a different ES handed to him each song. I recently saw close ups from several concerts I attended. They were mostly Norlins...

Mats A

I played a 79 Les Paul Standard for over 30 years. It played and sounded great. The Norlins as they call them is just as good as any other era Gibsons. Just think how many great records have been made with these guitars.

mattnew33

I think your phrase should be past tense
Norlins used to get a bad rap.

12 years ago I bought 2 of them, a '78 standard and a '70 custom. Both were $800-$900 bucks. 5 years ago I sold them for $2500 each without even trying...

looking back, I'd love to find another set of Gibsons in the $800-$900 range like that again, hell I'd take 1 at this point. I should have never sold but I thought it was stupid money at the time...

I think their price increase reflects the people realizing they are good guitars in their own right.

shred

They're great guitars... I've had a bunch and never had an issue. The necks were straight and they all sounded good. Sure, the pups might be a bit under powered ---especially the mini's in a Deluxe, but you have so many aftermarket choices these days it isn't an issue. :hippy

The 3 neck/quality issues I've had were all with modern shred style guitars... :ganz

Jeremiah

I know I'm late to the party, but that is a lovely Artisan

I know where my heart is on Gibson, and that is firmly in 1976. I've got two Deluxes (one routed for humbuckers) now and want a third for p90s. That isn't my greatest offense though, I'm also a Dimarzio fanatic, lol

Elmore

My '71 routed deluxe is my favorite. It has all the wrong stuff and really captured my heart. The neck is really something. Duncan Antiquities and original pots and original sprague caps.