• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody Know the Details of the Les Paul Custom Played by Fleetwood Mac's Bob Weston?

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
After I mentioned Bob Welch in Xpensive Wino's Basement Tapes post last night, I started poking around YouTube for material from the post-PG pre-Lindsey Buckingham wilderness years of Fleetwood Mac, and came across this clip from a 1973 Midnight Special segment, when Bob Weston (who died in 2012) was briefly* in the group, and playing some tasty licks:

Interesting Custom that Weston is playing. I found a close-up of the guitar, which has a P-90 in-between the two humbuckers, its own volume and tone control, and an aftermarket truss rod cover. I assume it's a modified Norlin? Anybody know any more details?

studio1.jpg

* This just in: Hooking up with the boss's wife will often speed up your unemployment.

Big Al

After I mentioned Bob Welch in Xpensive Wino's Basement Tapes post last night, I started poking around YouTube for material from the post-PG pre-Lindsey Buckingham wilderness years of Fleetwood Mac, and came across this clip from a 1973 Midnight Special segment, when Bob Weston (who died in 2012) was briefly* in the group, and playing some tasty licks:

Interesting Custom that Weston is playing. I found a close-up of the guitar, which has a P-90 in-between the two humbuckers, its own volume and tone control, and an aftermarket truss rod cover. I assume it's a modified Norlin? Anybody know any more details?

studio1.jpg

* This just in: Hooking up with the boss's wife will often speed up your unemployment.

I'd assume it was altered or modded afterwards and is not a stock setup. I saw and performed many mods in the 70's. It was very common.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I know lots of Norlin Customs had a third pickup added (I added a third HB to my '83 Custom), but I don't recall seeing a whole lot with extra vol and tone controls. He must have had the back routed and a custom rear plate made as well, a la Pete Townshend's modded Deluxes. :hmm

Art Werck

Great stuff! I always have to laugh many of my younger sibs/in-laws think Fleetwood Mac was born upon the release of 'Rumors'.
Bob Welch reminds me of a high school history teacher I had. They looked and dressed the same.

IMMUSICRULZ

Bob Weston played a Gibson Les Paul Custom when he was in Fleetwood Mac. One was yellow, and another was a black Les Paul. There are also pictures of him below using what looks like an ES 335
front_page_pic.jpgstudio1_small.jpghurrell1.jpghurrell2.jpg
He also played a Gibson SG, a Fender Stratocaster, and a Fender Telecaster electric guitar. But he was also into the Ibanez Electric guitars (Bob Welch also played one in the 1980s,) And the picture sleeve of Bob Weston 1980 solo album Nightlight shows him playing a red Gretsch guitar

He also played with Robbie Patton on the album Distant Shores, and was one of several guitarists (alongside Bob Welch, Walter Egan and Fleetwood Mac guitar technician Ray Lindsey) to be featured in the music video for Lindsey Buckingham solo single, "Trouble."

I always wondered whatever happened to his guitars. I bet they're in a music store in London.

fleetwood-jpg.531803

Then again, all the guitarists in Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Bob Welch, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan et al) used a Les Paul, so who knows?

Notyourguitarbob

The Gibson Les Paul Bob Weston owned was not his… He borrowed it from someone I know very well and had promised to return it to him but he never did…
There is a story to it and the guy who owns it still wants it back.

I know where he got it,
Where that person who owned it got it,
Why he borrowed it to Bob
And why Bob never returned it to him.

Notyourguitarbob

Bob Weston played a Gibson Les Paul Custom when he was in Fleetwood Mac. One was yellow, and another was a black Les Paul. There are also pictures of him below using what looks like an ES 335
View attachment 15843View attachment 15842View attachment 15841View attachment 15840
He also played a Gibson SG, a Fender Stratocaster, and a Fender Telecaster electric guitar. But he was also into the Ibanez Electric guitars (Bob Welch also played one in the 1980s,) And the picture sleeve of Bob Weston 1980 solo album Nightlight shows him playing a red Gretsch guitar

He also played with Robbie Patton on the album Distant Shores, and was one of several guitarists (alongside Bob Welch, Walter Egan and Fleetwood Mac guitar technician Ray Lindsey) to be featured in the music video for Lindsey Buckingham solo single, "Trouble."

I always wondered whatever happened to his guitars. I bet they're in a music store in London.

fleetwood-jpg.531803

Then again, all the guitarists in Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Bob Welch, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwan et al) used a Les Paul, so who knows?
That Gibson Les Paul isn’t Bobs
It never was, he asked could he borrow it from my friend before he joined Fleetwood Mac, I very old friend of my dads who’s also my friend who is still alive told me the story about that guitar and he’s still pissed that Bob never gave him his guitar back from when he borrowed him it.

He hadn’t seen a picture of his guitar since he borrowed him it, I went online and said is that him… He said yes… ans that’s my fcuking guitar 😂
His next words were what’s he stuck on it,
That wasn’t there when I bought it.
100% fact

He’s even been pestering his ex wife to go in the attic and find the receipt for it,
He said I might still have it somewhere.

Notyourguitarbob

View attachment 15843View attachment 15842View attachment 15841View attachment 15840

fleetwood-jpg.531803

That Gibson Les Paul isn’t Bobs
It never was, he asked could he borrow it from my friend before he joined Fleetwood Mac, I very old friend of my dads who’s also my friend who is still alive told me the story about that guitar and he’s still pissed that Bob never gave him his guitar back from when he borrowed him it.

He hadn’t seen a picture of his guitar since he borrowed him it, I went online and said is that him… He said yes… ans that’s my fcuking guitar 😂
His next words were what’s he stuck on it,
That wasn’t there when I bought it.
100% fact

He’s even been pestering his ex wife to go in the attic and find the receipt for it,
He said I might still have it somewhere.