• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Kossoff's Vibrato

Koss1959

Can anyone here actually do it? There's one guy on youtube that nails it but I haven't seen anyone else come as close. Joe Bonamassa can get close, too. I've been trying for years to get it down. My vibrato has definitely improved a lot since the start but it's not even close yet. I'm determined to get it down. I've got the technique down (moving the wrist as if you're turning a door knob) but it's just getting it up to speed. It's by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn. Any tips?

Ad_02Std

I think I can get pretty close. I've never really had to think too hard about it. Vibrato always came very naturally to me. That's probably down to me being a lefty playing right. It's always been the picking hand I've had to really work at.

Will have to shoot a new video. I don't have anything online that I'm especially proud of.

Who's the chap on YouTube you think nails it?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I can nail his later vibrato ala Free At Last. I don't particularly like his earlier Tons Of Sobs era vibrato....Too nervous, too San Francisco!:hee It got progressively slower and stayed in pitch, which is what I liked about his vibrato. Even his fast, nervous vibrato, he stayed in pitch pretty well. And if I try I can do but I don't want to try for that.

Koss1959

I think I can get pretty close. I've never really had to think too hard about it. Vibrato always came very naturally to me. That's probably down to me being a lefty playing right. It's always been the picking hand I've had to really work at.

Will have to shoot a new video. I don't have anything online that I'm especially proud of.

Who's the chap on YouTube you think nails it?
Connor Cunningham is his name, I think.

Mark Knopfler also says being a lefty playing right handed has given him a stronger vibrato.

GibsonPlayer72

Well I can't say I really try to sound like Kossoff, but I do use Heavy gauge strings and do use vibrato a lot .. I Can't say the vibrato was a conscious thing either , but when I listen to BB King or Paul Kossoff it sort of becomes natural. I never used to do that , but now I do it without thinking and it adds a lot to my tone and technique

GeraintGuitar

some players use just wrist action ,some player put thier wrist and forearm into it and some players put thier whole arm into it
if you watch paul he puts his whole body into it ! never seen anything like it tbh