• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 Les Paul GT

Tenner

Hi Guys,

I've my hands on '69 Goltop but I am uncertain if it is worth the money. The seller current owner ask 3500$.
There is not much info about the Guitar exept the original pot dates 50th week of '69 and these two picture.

The price does not include any hardware.
So, is this peace of wood worth the money?
What ist your opinion of the worth?

PS: please excuse my poor english

Last edited:

WBailey

More pics. please. ( you have your hands on it )

Back of headstock. Front of headstock.

Serial number ?

Pic of control cavity.

Pic of Gibson inlay.

Last edited:

mistersnappy

Not an expert on these but '68 and '69 are the last of the Les Pauls that have a nice top carve, imo. If there are no breaks in the wood, might be a nice project guitar. If it were mine, I'd convert that to humbuckers and put a nice old harness in there.

Tenner

I ask the seller for detailed pics but at present these are the only two pics I have.

marshall1987

Geez.......the scavenging vultures leave another stripped carcass to wither away on the scarps of Mount Suribachi. Someone was really desperate to get their hands on 1969 vintage Les Paul parts!

I would restore that hull to its original specs, assuming it's authentic. It shouldn't be too difficult to source the correct parts for that guitar.

But the $$ value..........???

Jumping@Shadows

Incredibly that's my old '69!

In happier times:

image_zpsv76o3kvh.jpg

It had '50s P90s when I last saw it, and is a killer sounding guitar with a chunky neck and all the old wood tone/vibe you could want- it does have a headstock repair however..

WBailey

lol, yes,that is true. But.......

I watched a young guy on e-bay. He originally posted his '69 goldtop for 5K. Zero bids. So, the next week he decided to " part it out "

By the end of the week he was over 7K ! :rofl

Sum of the parts. :ganz

WBailey

Incredibly that's my old '69!

In happier times:

image_zpsv76o3kvh.jpg

It had '50s P90s when I last saw it, and is a killer sounding guitar with a chunky neck and all the old wood tone/vibe you could want- it does have a headstock repair however..

Do you recall the serial number ?

So we're appraising a husk with a headstock repair ? right ?

Tenner

wow didn't expect to find the privious owner here.

Can you tell more about the guitar. Does it have a one piece neck? Pancake? Original minihumbucker?
When did you saw the guitar the last time?

Is it worth the money regardless the heradstock repair?

Jumping@Shadows

No recollection of the S/N no.. It's a typical mid '69 with one piece body, three piece neck, short tenon and mini hums as stock- great sounding guitar regardless of the issues IMO.

marshall1987

No recollection of the S/N no.. It's a typical mid '69 with one piece body, three piece neck, short tenon and mini hums as stock- great sounding guitar regardless of the issues IMO.

That being the case....I wouldn't touch that "guitar" hull for anything north of $2K.

Tenner

I would restore that hull to its original specs, assuming it's authentic. It shouldn't be too difficult to source the correct parts for that guitar.

That would be the plan. But at first I would bring her to live with newer parts and collect the right 69 parts over next month.

@all: any other opinion about the price

251blckgrds

I had a nice 69 GT with the marigold case and tags and in 2012 it was valued at 5k by Gruhn in Nashville. There were quite a few of these made. If I remember correctly they made over 2000. I would say for 5k you could buy a complete 69 LPD with some wear and no breaks. The right parts for this husk are not going to be cheap. So $3500 for the husk with a neck repair is a little high imo :)

Tenner

thank your all for your replies.

i think to bring the guitar to original specs I need about 2k$ for the right parts.
I'll try to screw down the price to 3k. I know, that's still a lot of money for a husk.
I found a few 69 in Guitarshops here in Germany, but the all go over 6k.
I think 3k would be ok, what's your opinion.

Kris Ford

Original pot dates 50th week of '69...
That and that style Gibson inlay make it an early '70....:ganz
Still just as cool as a '70 though..but you gotta call it what it is.:peace2

Tenner

That and that style Gibson inlay make it an early '70....:ganz
Still just as cool as a '70 though..but you gotta call it what it is.:peace2

sorry that was a typing error, the pot date is 50/68.

Jumping@Shadows has already confirmed, it's a mid '69.

marshall1987

You can find nice unspoiled late 1969 and 1970 Deluxes all day long for $3K - $4K. Sure the specs change as time marches on, but these guitars aren't that expensive.

I picked up the 1970 Les Paul Deluxe in the photo a couple of years ago for around this amount.

I wouldn't give $2K for that stripped '69 hull with the headstock break.