• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Not for resale" stamp

D28

I've never seen one before, I was at a party last night and met up with a friend that I had talked guitars with before. He showed me his 88 custom in white that he bought in 89, I had to take a double look.
What's the deal with that stamp, a promotional guitar?
29iw52.jpg

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I seem o remember seeing that on a couple of endorsed artists guitars around that time.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Possibly intended for give-a-ways to charities or other means of promotion.

ghammusic

Since "2nds" were officially off the sales sheets by early 1987, most of these would be what we would consider a 2nd, just used for artists and promo stuff.

AXE752

In the early '90's I got extremely lucky and won a guitar in a drawing done by a store in New Orleans--the only thing I ever won! It was really a pretty nice guitar--a white custom shop Les Paul SG Custom. It had the "Not For Resale" stamp. That's the only one I have ever seen in person. I assumed it was done on promotional guitars as Tom mentioned.:jim

acewylde

I have a 2009 LP Premier II that I bought at the Gibson Factory sale in 2009 and they stamped used on the back of the headstock of all of the guitars that were for sale that day.

renderit

Man! You can never sell it! It says right there. They always stamp "Ren is a jerk, don't buy this from him" on mine. So at least I can try.

dshalfstack

I was fortunate enough to win a 1991 Les Paul Classic as a door prize. As you can see, it is stamped "Promotional, Not for Resale". I believe Gibson did this to guitars they were trying to promote (duh) at the time. The stamp helped prevent less than honest dealers from selling them instead of giving them away. I understand the stamp neither increases nor decreases value...I mean, the stamp makes it worth at least 10 times normal street value. :biggrin:
1ccd9946-6d6d-4aee-9af9-91406449a621_zpshftp6hdd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

renderit

I was fortunate enough to win a 1991 Les Paul Classic as a door prize. As you can see, it is stamped "Promotional, Not for Resale". I believe Gibson did this to guitars they were trying to promote (duh) at the time. The stamp helped prevent less than honest dealers from selling them instead of giving them away. I understand the stamp neither increases nor decreases value...I mean, the stamp makes it worth at least 10 times normal street value. :biggrin:
1ccd9946-6d6d-4aee-9af9-91406449a621_zpshftp6hdd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

While I do not question your logic I would suspect that is a donated guitar that they took a tax write off on. Just a guess.