• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1979 Deluxe, minihums, ebony...help me...

Edward

...what are the first thoughts that come to mind? FWIW, this one is player's grade with modest/typical finish wear, no breaks/repairs, frets are orig low/wide (fretless wonder?) but no serious divots, orig pups/pots, and wrong pickguard (small beans on the latter, I would think). What are your thoughts?

FWIW, I have been "passively" looking for a Deluxe for maybe a year now, fixated with the desire for minihums (not even sure why, except maybe it fills a niche for me?). And not wanting to spend a ton of dough I've been keeping an eye out for player's grade and largely original (at least where it counts). 1979 is, what, back to solid bods w/o the pancake? And maple lam necks? This one's ebony so I can't verify and am simply going by what I've read.

I'm liking what I see, but price still troubles me. But Norlin Deluxes don't exatly proliferate the boards so I'm having a tough time weighing this out. Help me with thoughts/advice, gents! TIA!!! :)

Edward

Brian Baker

Formerly PilgrimDoss
I think you are looking at a Les Paul Pro, which would have come with P90s. IIRC it would have a maple neck and no pancake.

Edward

The serial number says 1979 and it's got minihums dated 79 on the back, so that means Deluxe...unless I'm missing something, no?

Big Al

I don't see the guitar you are talking about, but ALL Les Pauls like Standards, Deluxe and Pro Deluxe share the same body build with the Pro Deluxe having an Ebony fingerboard and P90's, the Deluxe with a Rosewood board and mini hums and the Standard of course like the Deluxe but with full size hum buckers.

Les Paul Deluxes are GREAT guitars and worthy Les Pauls. The mini hum bucker is about the most perfect all around pickup I have ever used and a Deluxe has always been part of my tone pallet. Early 70's Les Paul Deluxes with Mahogany necks are on fire and have been increasing in value as many have discovered the great tone and playability of these Kalamazoo made Norlin era Les Pauls. It has had the effect of raising post 75 nashville made Norlin Deluxes, but still not to levels like the early 70-75 models.

82 and 83 Les Paul Deluxes are a stellar choice as they have the more vintage 50's build with small headstock one piece mahogany necks on often book matched maple, mostly figured on the wine red ones for some reason. Deep dish carves and solid wood build helps.

I think you should grab whatever makes you moist.

WBailey

...what are the first thoughts that come to mind? FWIW, this one is player's grade with modest/typical finish wear, no breaks/repairs, frets are orig low/wide (fretless wonder?) but no serious divots, orig pups/pots, and wrong pickguard (small beans on the latter, I would think). What are your thoughts?

FWIW, I have been "passively" looking for a Deluxe for maybe a year now, fixated with the desire for minihums (not even sure why, except maybe it fills a niche for me?). And not wanting to spend a ton of dough I've been keeping an eye out for player's grade and largely original (at least where it counts). 1979 is, what, back to solid bods w/o the pancake? And maple lam necks? This one's ebony so I can't verify and am simply going by what I've read.

I'm liking what I see, but price still troubles me. But Norlin Deluxes don't exatly proliferate the boards so I'm having a tough time weighing this out. Help me with thoughts/advice, gents! TIA!!! :)

Edward

When you have the time, please post as many pics as you can.

Fretless Wonder ? NO, just honest wear. Possible refret ? :hmm

Many of us would love to see this guitar. :ganz

Kris Ford

When you have the time, please post as many pics as you can.

Fretless Wonder ? NO, just honest wear. Possible refret ? :hmm

Many of us would love to see this guitar. :ganz

Yes, please!
NO Norlin hate from this guy..

I think some are thinking when you say Ebony, you mean the fretboard..which would indeed make it a Pro Deluxe, but those had P90s..(Marc Ford used one in the Black Crowes glory years)
You are referring to Ebony as in BLACK paint, correct?
With a RW board, and mini-hums, that'd be a Deluxe.
And would be a damn fine Le Paul to own.:salude

Edward

Sorry about the "ebony" ambiguity: yes, I meant finish, not fb. This one's got a rw board.

I hope this is kosher to post, and if not mods please correct as necessary:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ul-deluxe-black-beauty.1637559/#post-20879120

BTW, seller emailed me pics I had requested on this link. Again, if this is bad form on my part, please let me know or mods delete!
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Tim_Ogletree/library/

No pics of the pups, but he had opened up and confirmed that the minis had dates of xx/1979 back there. And the pots, you tell as I don't know those codes. The pg is obviously wrong but that's no deal killer. Oh, and a middling 10.5 lbs (rough weight, accd to a shipping scale in .5 lb increments). I'd prefer sub-10, but that's not common among Norlins I've come across, let alone the even fewer Norlin Deluxes. I'm trying not to get too excited, but this one's looking pretty dang good to me. But Deluxes and minihums are foreign animals to me, not to mention these dang "price threads" I've read "suggest" it's a bit overpriced ...but I don't really know, esp. given the vagaries of valuation on a decades-old guitar!! So please, lay it on w/o reservation your honest assessments. Huge thanks, guys!!

Edward

Last edited:

WBailey

I do not have permission to view pics. :bigal

I have some concerns. Any way to post better pics ?

Is this posted anywhere for sale besides TGP ?

And, for what it's worth, Rumble Seat sold one for $3,200 in Jan. :hmm

Edward

Looks good from what I can see..but the tuners aren't original..

Ahhh, good catch. I didn't see that since I saw the correct outline of the tuner bodies on the back of headstock pics; I just assumed tulip klusons were normal, but I looked at other 79s and they were all metal. At least the tuner bodies are the same so no holes/unsightly lines, and they do say "Gibson Deluxe" ;)

Sorry you can't see TGP pics, WB. Get a chance to see the other link I posted?

Edward

DanD

I caught that you are looking for a Deluxe. I didn't catch whether or not you wanted an older guitar or not. There is a 2011 Les Paul 'LPR7' ( is how it is listed) for sale on the the bay. Historic specs but mini hums instead of full on 'buckers.

Under 9 pounds, $2399. Not mine but I wish I had the spare change! I've got the GT version of the same guitar. Basically a well built Deluxe with all the Historic trappings like long neck tenon, vintage tuners, etc.... :peace2

WBailey

Sorry about the "ebony" ambiguity: yes, I meant finish, not fb. This one's got a rw board.

I hope this is kosher to post, and if not mods please correct as necessary:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ul-deluxe-black-beauty.1637559/#post-20879120

BTW, seller emailed me pics I had requested on this link. Again, if this is bad form on my part, please let me know or mods delete!
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Tim_Ogletree/library/

No pics of the pups, but he had opened up and confirmed that the minis had dates of xx/1979 back there. And the pots, you tell as I don't know those codes. The pg is obviously wrong but that's no deal killer. Oh, and a middling 10.5 lbs (rough weight, accd to a shipping scale in .5 lb increments). I'd prefer sub-10, but that's not common among Norlins I've come across, let alone the even fewer Norlin Deluxes. I'm trying not to get too excited, but this one's looking pretty dang good to me. But Deluxes and minihums are foreign animals to me, not to mention these dang "price threads" I've read "suggest" it's a bit overpriced ...but I don't really know, esp. given the vagaries of valuation on a decades-old guitar!! So please, lay it on w/o reservation your honest assessments. Huge thanks, guys!!

Edward

Has anyone here seen a dated mini ? :ganz

Also, I can't find ANY Ebony Deluxe shipped in '79 :hmm

Kris Ford

Has anyone here seen a dated mini ? :ganz

Also, I can't find ANY Ebony Deluxe shipped in '79 :hmm

Refin maybe?
If so that's in your favor as a bargaining tool..
As for the dated minis..I assume it's possible..wasn't 1979 the first year they started stamping pickups?:hmm
Maybe someone got crazy with the date stamp?

Kris Ford

Ahhh, good catch. I didn't see that since I saw the correct outline of the tuner bodies on the back of headstock pics; I just assumed tulip klusons were normal, but I looked at other 79s and they were all metal. At least the tuner bodies are the same so no holes/unsightly lines, and they do say "Gibson Deluxe" ;)

Sorry you can't see TGP pics, WB. Get a chance to see the other link I posted?

Edward

These?:jim (borrowed from Dan E's thread)
IMG_8693.JPG

They're on eBay from time to time..but what I've noticed about these is the bushings that go in the headstock..are they the larger ones?
These are actually a type of conversion bushing, and are great in that capacity, especially to "un Grover" a guitar, but they ain't cheap!
I think that Gibson must've used these tuners in between shipments from Schaller, as most late 70's LPs had the Gibson stamped Schaller side screw tuners, and the guitars I've seen with this all have the larger hole to accept Schaller screw in bushings, and the conversion type busing filled those holes.
You see these a lot on mid 70's Flying Vs as well.
Though if it were me, I'd put a set of double ring tuners on it..but the ones that are on it are fine too!

Edward

1. I saw a pic (somewhere, can't remember since I've sifted through so many websites!) of the back of a minihum that was faintly stamped in black xxxx/1980 ...at least I think it was 1980. So when the owner says he sees a date stamped xxxx/1979, I'm going to think its legit.

2. And given the pics I see (you guys can judge too and tell me if I'm off here), the finish (and wear) look normal to me ...i.e. not a refin to my eyes. At least not that I can tell, nor what he claims (but he admittedly not the orig owner).

3. Yeah, those tuners in that pic ^^ are the orig on what I've seen on other like-era Deluxes. But the one I'm considering clearly has the plastic keys and the "Gibson Deluxe" on the back, though the body shape of the tuner is identical. Apparently tuning machines from a newer guit/era. Owner got it that way.

4. So what flags that you see, gents? Thoughts on value given its plusses and minuses WRT its asking price? I'm not seeing much "wrong" here, but heck, y'all know more than me the details on these so that's why I'm askin. TIA! :D

Edward

Progrocker111

Seems ok to me, there are some black 79 Deluxes, i saw them many times. Tuners arent original, but thats not a big thing. Frets are typical 70s LP Deluxe frets, fairly low but wide. 10.5 lbs is too much for me though, it wont be most probably a very resonant guitar. :hmm

If possible, try to find early 70s Deluxe, they might be in average lighter in weight and more resonant from my experience.

Edward

Re: 1979 Deluxe, minihums, ebony...help me... UPDATE

Update (for anyone who may be interested):

I bought it!! 1979 Deluxe that's orig save the tuners, caps, and pg; and no breaks/issues! And I am really digging the black as opposed to the other Deluxes I've seen over the last year.

I'm a bit nervous, more in eager anticipation. That and the roll of the dice on an old guitar, the "Norlin talk" we all read about (which I know is represented by love here ;) ), and its weight. Turns out this guitar is on the upper end of 10lbs (I don't crave "light" but that's heavy for my taste), so hopefully the tone and play will make up for that. But I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. Wish me luck!!

Edward

Kris Ford

Re: 1979 Deluxe, minihums, ebony...help me... UPDATE

Update (for anyone who may be interested):

I bought it!! 1979 Deluxe that's orig save the tuners, caps, and pg; and no breaks/issues! And I am really digging the black as opposed to the other Deluxes I've seen over the last year.

I'm a bit nervous, more in eager anticipation. That and the roll of the dice on an old guitar, the "Norlin talk" we all read about (which I know is represented by love here ;) ), and its weight. Turns out this guitar is on the upper end of 10lbs (I don't crave "light" but that's heavy for my taste), so hopefully the tone and play will make up for that. But I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. Wish me luck!!

Edward

Congrats!:salude
Will be waiting for lots of pics and a full tone report!

ajay taylor

Here's a bone stock DeLuxe that I bought brand new in 1980 for $800. The picture is current, taken a few months back.