• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Classic Plus

BillyV

I'm going to make the leap and buy a LP. Not necessarily this one but am currently looking at a Classic Plus on CL. I've done some preliminary searches but an wondering what you guys/gals think about this guitar. TIA for any opinions, knowledge, etc!

Bill

Kris Ford

What year?
A LP Classic Plus will put you squarely into Les Paul land, and is the perfect platform to make mods on.

Elmore

Yes. You will be in the Les Paul Standard zone. If you want more vintage style tone in the future, you can change pots, caps, and pickups. But that is a great neck and body, whole guitar really.

BillyV

Thanks for the response!

It's a 2012. Wow...didn't think the Classic Plus was around long enough for the model year to make a difference. Does it?

DanD

The LP Classic has changed considerably over the years. When the Classic came on the scene in 1990 it was built with many 'classic' LP features. For the first three and a half years of production it was more historically accurate than the Gibson 'pre-historic' models. Over time Gibson changed the specs on the binding, tuners, and inlays to help differentiate it from the more expensive Historic range which started shipping in '93 when the Classic began its devolution.

Gibson specs for the 2012 Classic:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Plus.aspx

Gibson had issues with Rosewood purchasing in 2011/2012 and many guitars went to baked Maple fret boards, the Classic Plus being one of them. That may make it a hard sell down the road if you don't bond with it. On the other hand if you like maple fret boards there are very few LPs out there that have them and most of those are LP Customs.

I haven't kept up with the newer ones but they will place you in squarely in the Standard camp as far as build quality goes. The main differences between the Classic and Standard are neck size, pickups and on the 2012 the fret board. Classics tend to use a smaller neck (the smallest I've had on any Gibson) and hot ceramic pups. Other than that it's basically an LP Standard. Although in 2012 Gibson offered a 50s neck in conjunction with 60s so the neck could be either thin or thick...:##

I'd say if you like the neck and weight of the guitar go for it. Pups are an easy mod and many a Classic has been modded with aftermarket pickups. :peace2