• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T Fireburst

Blues357

Hello,

I'm a new member, but a longtime player. I've noted the interest of late in the Gibson 2016 lineup. Thought I'd post photos of my new 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T Fireburst, which I bought online from Guitar Center last week. I own a few other guitars--including a 2002 Les Paul Standard, a 2015 Epiphone ES-339 PRO and a 2015 Chapman ML1--so I have some frame of reference. I also had a 2014 Gibson LPJ, which I just didn't like enough to keep. Let me share my thoughts on my new Studio.

First, some specs.

The Studio has a "rounded '59" neck, Burstbucker Pros, thin nitro satin finish, Graph Tech nut, traditional tuners, chrome hardware, and .10-.46 Cleartone strings. The body and the neck are mahogany, the fingerboard is rosewood, and the top has a maple cap. It came with the usual black-and-white Gibson rifle-type case, the typical paperwork, and a truss rod wrench and a 2.5 mm Allen wrench to adjust the new style Tune-O-Matic bridge. It is weight relieved (chambered, I'm guessing) and comes in at 7.6 pounds. According to the little "Quality Checklist" card that came with it, it was checked and packed at the Gibson factory on Sept. 2, 2015.

I am favorably impressed with this guitar. The neck is straight, the fret edges are smooth to the touch, and after a bit of tuning it played perfectly right out of the box. The neck is beefy, but doesn't feel nearly as chunky as other 50s style necks. The neck also feels played in. It just feels good to hold. The guitar holds tune, even after a lot of string bending, with no binding at the nut. The pots and switch all work smoothly, with no issues. The Burstbucker Pros sound great, of course, for rock and blues.

Even though the guitar is just about a pound lighter than my 2002 Standard, it feels much lighter, and the balance is different, neither neck nor body heavy. For me, it balances well on my leg when sitting. The tone is brighter than my Standard, and it has much more of an acoustic quality, possibly because of the weight relief. The guitar also smells a bit like cotton candy. It's absolutely the nitro finish, because it's the same thing I smelled when I toured the Gibson factory at Memphis earlier this year.

I have no issues with the workmanship. The top is plain, but the burst is attractive. This guitar has been made with obvious care, and everything has been well done. I even like being able to adjust the bridge with the Allen wrench, which is so much easier than using the thumb wheels. The thumb wheels are still there, however, if you prefer that method.

For me, this was a good purchase. It is not a Standard, but it is definitely a Gibson Les Paul. It sounds and plays great, and it has character.

Cheers,

Blues357

[IMG

][/IMG][video]
2015-10-14%2022.15.00_zps5au7ro8f.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
[video][URL="http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Blues357/media/2015-10-14%2022.07.28_zpssg83zbei.jpg.html"]

Last edited:

Brother Shaw

Nice buy & nice write up. I bought the same guitar with a different finish. Everything with mine is just as you described. I got mine at Sam Ash local and as soon as I picked it up & played it unplugged I knew it was better than anything I ever owned. I'm sure you're as excited as I am. I barely put it down since I brought it home.

congratulations :salude

Here's mine
FXRqktx.png

Blues357

Beautiful guitar, Brother. I almost went for the brown myself. Thanks for the photos.

Blues357

Yes, meat and potatoes, well said. It will be a working, gigging guitar.

I've edited my original post to fix a couple of typos and to correct the string gauge, which is regular light, 10-46.

jmmplm

I just ordered the worn cherry faded T, what strings came on yours from factory?
Jim

Ddsshadow

Congrats guys! Just picked one up from sweetwater and will be getting it next Monday. However, was looking at the pictures of the neck from the back, and i dont kniw if its just my eyes, but the neck doesnt seem straight. What do you guys think. Does it look bent?
160129856-back-large.jpg

Danb541

I just picked this one up for $500. It's a 2016. Did I do okay? I figured I can't lose at $500.

Attachments

• 00000_eGMqrNz55n6z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00000_eGMqrNz55n6z_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 00T0T_fVXbu8Snqiiz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_fVXbu8Snqiiz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2

jb_abides

I just picked this one up for $500. It's a 2016. Did I do okay? I figured I can't lose at $500.

Looks great, these entry Les Pauls still deliver. I have a Les Paul LPJ Rubbed Goldtop Dark Back Satin that's entry, really fun with the maple neck alternative.