• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best sounding amp/combo for VOS R8 historic?

El Gringo

Marshall 2555X silver jubilee with the 2551 AV loaded with vintage 30'S .To my ears the best Les Paul into a Marshall sound . pure bliss to my ears !!!

Turner

Fender Deluxe Reverb(SF) - volume on 5 - it`s all in Your fingers!

Stoj

You can't go wront with a Fender Tweed Twin or a Blackface inspired amp (for me it's a Tone King Imperial) :dude:

RJLII

I'm blessed with three amps that all bring something unique to the party.

1) Carr Rambler 1X12 Combo - Covers all the Blackface stuff. Super clean tones, lots of headroom, TMB controls give more tonal variety than you can really use. The reverb is first class, as is the tremolo. It's a great pedal platform. I love this amp.

2) Victoria Ivy League 1X12 Combo - A modern version of the 5F10 Fender Tweed Harvard. Sweet from clean to dirty.

3) ThroBak 18 Watt 1X12 Combo (pictured with my R8) - A clone of the Marshall 1974X. Think raw and fat. Both Angus and Beano spoken here. Notes sound like they're wrapped in meat. The consummate rock and roll amp for smaller venues.

16131358516_87e16501c7_b.jpg

Stoj

Is that the Imperial MKII?

Nope the model before the MKII

I hear the MKII is an absolute killer amp, like I said to a friend how do you improve on an already great amp, however by all reports Mark Bartel has knocked it out f the park again :dude: :salude

herb

Like said above. It's up to you.

For me, a larger Fender blackface combo fits the bill perfectly. Vibrolux Reverb or Twin Reverb or a boutique facsimile like a Carr Rambler. For something a little different I also use a '57 Tweed Twin, a Clark Tyger and a Clark Beaufort.

Not really the sound I'm looking for but a lot of fun: JTM 45 head through a 2-12 or 4-12 cab loaded with Celestion T652 alnicos.

Last edited:

BoyBastos

You can't go wront with a Fender Tweed Twin or a Blackface inspired amp (for me it's a Tone King Imperial) :dude:

off topic, where did you get/buy that guitar rack? looking for one..thanks in advance