• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Light Brown Rosewood Fingerboards on Gibson Custom Shop Models

marshall1987

Since a couple of years ago it seems that a fair percentage of Gibson Custom Shop guitars are being shipped with what appear to be unusually light to medium brown rosewood fingerboards (especially since 2013). Many of the fingerboards I've seen appear unusually dry and feature unattractive streaking and grain. This appears to be a reversal of the earlier trend in the first decade of the new millennium with darker, streak free rosewood fingerboards predominating.

Personally I much prefer tight grained dark rosewood fingerboards with little to no streaking. Seems lots of buyers care only about the monster tops. But with my two big mits hitting the strings, it's the fingerboard where the rubber meets the road. Just sayin.

J.D.

+1

Brazilian was used on 1/2 of 2003 and is "it".

Madagascar was used from then until circa early 2007 which IMO is every bit as good.

Mid-2007+ back to East Indian which not only looks and feels different, but also has different hardness and density.

Seems a lot of the EI since the notorious wood raid has the look/feel mentioned in the OP.

Tim Plains

Lighter boards don't bother me since you can darken them using something like Fret Doctor.

redisburning

Les Paul Froum Member
My R8 from 2005 is an extreme example of what you're describing OP. It's like a cafe latte at a hipster joint (if you click through you can see a 1600 where it's very clear)

Untitled by P M, on Flickr

I can't say that it bothers me, but this is my only Les Paul and for all I know another Historic could be a much better sounding guitar since it's been a long time since I played another one. Somewhat ironically, I have a mid 80s Japanese Fender with a board that is so dark it's ridiculous, and that guitar cost me 1/4 of what I paid for the historic which was a pretty reasonably good deal.

DANELECTRO

My 2007 R8 had a fretboard that was somewhat light in color. Here a photo of it as-new:

I applied Fret Doctor once or twice a year and it slowly darkened to this:

The guitar has since received a dark BRW board courtesy of HM:

These photos show what oil can do to a light Rosewood board over time.

This is the topside of the original fretboard which was treated with Fret Doctor

This is the underside of the same board:

Tommy Tourbus

A light colored board is a deal breaker for me. All my Historics are 2011's and they all have dark boards, a couple of which are almost black

Pip

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, one of my Murphys is pretty light coloured and I like it. Not "correct " but hey :)

emg32

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, one of my Murphys is pretty light coloured and I like it. Not "correct " but hey :)

Who knows how "correct" the color is. These Historics haven't had 60 years to be played and aged with time. I seriously doubt all the Original bursts came with super dark fretboards but over time and with play they have gotten dark.

I personally don't love super light colored rosewood but as long as the wood is great quality and the guitar plays great it's not a deal breaker.

I know some consider the Indian rosewood Gibson is using now to not be top grade. Some say it's to dry and looks low quality. What's the take on the quality for you guys??

J.D.

The few I've seen sure soak up oil like a sponge, and do feel somewhat rough compared to wood/finishing seen previously.

marshall1987

Got to think that all that mineral oil can't be good for the wood. Rosewood is an oily wood by nature and to keep soaking with more just for the sake of staining the uppermost 1 mm of surface? Geez I donno.

In general, I can't ever recall a batch (since 2013) of rosewood fingerboards on Custom Shop Les Paul's appearing this mediocre. Sure you had in the past occasional fingerboards that deviate from the good stuff. But it appears recently that little thought is given by the subcontractor to properly grade and sort the rosewood for the high end Gibsons.

Poster No. 4 above.....that looks like Madegascar and actually is a nice board. Looks just like my Rossington.

fjminor

A light colored board is a deal breaker for me. All my Historics are 2011's and they all have dark boards, a couple of which are almost black

If you had the chance to purchase this Burst, which has a somewhat lighter than normal board, would this be a deal breaker.? I thought about this for a second.

DSC_4582-L.jpg

slammintone

If you had the chance to purchase this Burst, which has a somewhat lighter than normal board, would this be a deal breaker.? I thought about this for a second.

DSC_4582-L.jpg

Well for me the dealbreaker would be the PRICE!! Man that's a sweet axe. One of my favorites for sure. The board looks great too. They don't all have to resemble ebony do they?

herb

For me it depends on the "feel" of the fretboard wood. If you can actually feel the gaps in the wood that's a deal breaker for me and I normally find that in the lighter colored boards. I would pass on that gorgeous topped Les Paul pictured above if that was the case.

J.D.

To me color is not important, it is the hardness and smoothness that counts.

mistersnappy

DSC_4582-L.jpg

If thats Sandy (and I think it is), I asked Tom about the light board years ago and he said that when it was refretted, it became lighter. If I remember correctly.:hmm

Progrocker111

I agree that many of especially 2013s and later ones have fairly dry and unpolished fretboards. They are very inconsistent, some are still very dark and smooth though. I prefer 90s or early 00s darker fretboards.

Sct13

I'm a stickler for how a board feels, and if it looks how it feels, smooth vs rough....well then I call it furry...As far as color, while not a fan of lighter boards as long as its smooth for playability I'm OK with it.

However I noticed that Gibson seems to put a lighter board on a killer top and a gorgeous board on a not so great top....Its not the "rule" but I see it a lot.

This light board was pretty nice, as far as play ability its one of those "wish I kept it" ones...

MG_9794.jpg

Last edited: