• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom for a R6/R9 guy...?

Carl

I have been playing maple capped, rose boarded Les Pauls forever. Mainly my R9 and my R6. But ever since I first saw and heard Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous album I have wanted a black Les Paul Custom and now I have decided to get one.

It has to be black, it as to have ebony fret board, but apart from that I am open to anything. Ideally I'd like an R7 because it has an all mahogany body, which I like and the deep tenon. But I have accepted that most post 74 Customs which I can afford will have maple caps and no deep tenon.

I have found a really nice one from 2010. Any opinions on the 2010s?

Are the 2010s PLEKed? or do they have the flat toped frets which Gibson used for many years?

Were the 2010s made Gibson USA or by CS?

Thanks in advance!

/Carl

(urlym@ple

2006 on up are all pleked.

68 RIs comes in black or ebony as well and has maple cap; great guitars.

Progrocker111

I will again repeat myself, but try early 70s Kalamazoo Norlins. These are perhaps the prototypical Customs for 70s rock, hardrock, progrock etc., like Thin Lizzy for example. These 70-74s are tonewise nearly the same as 68/69s. Great guitars - ideal for raw oldschool rock or hardrock with tight, heavy articulate singing tone and excellent sustain.

Carl

I will again repeat myself, but try early 70s Kalamazoo Norlins. These are perhaps the prototypical Customs for 70s rock, hardrock, progrock etc., like Thin Lizzy for example. These 70-74s are tonewise nearly the same as 68/69s. Great guitars - ideal for raw oldschool rock or hardrock with tight, heavy articulate singing tone and excellent sustain.

Yes, I have been looking for one, but it seems like the prices for 70-74 have gone up and they are currently above my budget, so I am starting from scratch again. It seems like my choices are regular Nashvilles (Gibson USA), maple necked Norlins with a bit of luck or an R7.

/Carl

latestarter

A clean-ish '74 carcass sold for $1800 on fleabay recently. I saw another 74 sell for $3K....deals are still there.

Carl

A clean-ish '74 carcass sold for $1800 on fleabay recently. I saw another 74 sell for $3K....deals are still there.

Really? That's interesting. 3k is a good price, but unfortunately above my budget at present. But I do get the impression that many of all these fairly expensive Customs aren't selling and gets resisted over and over again.

Carl

I couldn't find a '74 or earlier within my budget, so I ended up with at 2001 '57 Black Beauty reissue in great condition.

It's perfect for me in every way. The neck profile is perfect for my hand. The action is really fast. It sounds even better than I had hoped for. The tone is really focused and complex and it really cuts through in the band mix. Time to sell some guitars which I won't need anymore... :)

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Cool! Glad to read you found one! Post some pictures. Congrats, HNGD
jam.gif
play her in good health and welcome to the Custom Club!

Mats A

Old thread but since you mentioned my fave band Thin Lizzy and Live And Dangerous. Brian Robbo Robertsons Les Paul Custom is often said to be a 1960. But i got an old interview where it's said to be a 1962 and that he also got a 1947 Les Paul. I don"t believe they knew that much about Gibsons back then and it was long before the internet. Most likely Robbos Custom is from 68-69 since it looks like it has no volute. So it's most likely that it has a maple cap on the body. It was long ago that he sold that guitar to Phil Campbell in Motörhead and later it got stolen. So i guess we'll never know for sure.