• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I like the 2015 Les Paul - Anyone else?

MarkJB

I haven't tried the titanium nut yet, but compared to the brass nut it sounds less twangy, more creamy (technical terms there!). To me it sounds more authentic, more classic Les Paul.

Allenjason

Les Paul Froum Member
I haven't tried the titanium nut yet, but compared to the brass nut it sounds less twangy, more creamy (technical terms there!). To me it sounds more authentic, more classic Les Paul.

I totally get what you're saying about "twangy", that's actually something I wanted to cut down on on my Jr. Thanks.

jdt

I got my titanium replacement nut last weekend. It was easy enough to replace...could have left the strings on, but the guitar came with 10s and I like 9s, so I went ahead and changed strings. Of course, that threw the guitar's beautiful setup all out of whack! DOH!! The action had been perfect! So I spent the next hour working on it. I'm not convinced I got it back to where it was, but it's pretty good. I may work on it more later.

jdt

Just an update on the nut. I was having trouble with the G string staying in tune after bends, and I tried both Big Bends Nut Sauce and Super Vee's Superglide, and neither solved the problem. So I followed MarkJB and purchased the Graph Tech Tusq XL nut. Got it earlier this week and installed it a couple days ago. I was surprised, but very pleased that it did not affect my intonation at all!

Early reports are positive. Once I got the strings stretched out again, it seems to be holding tune very well. Will put it through its proper paces this weekend. I like that the slots are angled towards the tuning posts...the angle the D and G strings come out of the nut on Gibson's is so extreme, and I think angling the slots like that has to help.

Haven't really noticed any tonal differences....but to be honest, that is not the primary reason for the swap. But I haven't plugged into an amp yet...that might make the differences more pronounced.

Benjirob

I completely understand the hate these get because they are such a radical departure from what's traditional, but I love my Standard and it cost just over £1100 new.

Sounds, feels and plays great. All stock, my main worry is how the tuners hold up but so far so good, I may get locking tuners installed if any issues.

engineer

Hey!

I’d though I’d resurrect this old thread to talk some more about how your 2015 models have worked out for you.

For me I have done some small mods on my 2015 Classic vintage sunburst. I added pick-up covers and got a replacement for the zero fret nut. The brass one didn’t measure up so I got a titanium one from Gibson which I have been using since.

The G-Force system has been flawless and the battery lasts almost forever. It goes so long between charges that I almost forget where I keep the charger (in the case so I don’t loose it). The battery wears out faster with the treble boost, but that is mainly because I can never remember if it’s on or off (when it’s not connected to an amp).
The wood is still great, the weight is heavy, finish still perfect and the pickups still sound lovely.

The neck still feels awesome and I change often between this and my Fender Baja. It has a soft-V neck which I fell in love with first. I never really liked to slim taper necks and thought the 50s neck was too big. Luckily, the wider 2015 check all my boxes for a great neck.

Looking back at all the hate for the 2015 models I can’t feel anything but gratitude. Because I got this awesome guitar for about the same price as a studio would’ve cost me (which I was aiming for). Instead I got this for the same money with better wood and a nicer finish. It wouldn’t have been possible without the criticism. And also thanks to Gibson for daring to challenge the Statis Quo. That’s how you move forward and learn.

I do have some features that I feel is missing from the lineup today.

1. The removable pick guard.
That was a great idea. As you can see, I keep mine off. And I don’t have any extra holes because of it.

2. The case
I really like the 2015 case more than the original LP case. I have to say. I also liked the 2016 case (that big metal thing). Shame that they have reverted to the old ways.

So what do you guys think that have a 2015 model? How did you fare? Which features should Gibson have kept from the 2015 year models?

47D5FC40-6BF6-477C-B1E9-A0174891292E.jpeg

Smooth Move

Hey.

I found this Limited run '15 . I like it fine but, it doesn't have
most of the specs that were so unpopular.
Great build quality. It's pretty light at 8 1/2 pounds.
I like how the '59 Tribute pickups sound.
Normal headstock signature, thank God no hologram ( sorry Les) no removable pickguard, no robo tuners , no zero fret.
It's not my favorite but I still play it a lot.
Tony