• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What would you pay for a rough refinished 1959 DC Junior??

Chard

Cross post, wrong place first time:

I've seen a 1959 Les Paul Double Cut Junior for sale locally and wondered what peoples thought were on it in terms of price and condition?

http://moonguitars.co.uk/index.php/v...pecials/gibso/

The thing is it's had an old sunburst refinish which has since mostly flaked off and the tuners have been replaced a few times over and the serial has been rubbed off the reapplied but without the correct fount. Worth a go or keep walking?

Xpensive Wino

Cross post, wrong place first time:

I've seen a 1959 Les Paul Double Cut Junior for sale locally and wondered what peoples thought were on it in terms of price and condition?

http://moonguitars.co.uk/index.php/v...pecials/gibso/

The thing is it's had an old sunburst refinish which has since mostly flaked off and the tuners have been replaced a few times over and the serial has been rubbed off the reapplied but without the correct fount. Worth a go or keep walking?

I'd pass.

Tarcisioo

I think she's a beauty

Beaten but still up for a fight

Would love to put the old tailpiece on and take her for a ball

Professortwang

Not much of a collectors guitar however I think it's cooler than hell. Change the tuners put on the right tailpiece and put another hundred thousand miles on it.

MapleFlame

I love the finish, it's cool as hell. Anyone that goes through all that trouble, it must be a great player, especially with all the wear.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I love it! Replace the bridge and tuners and play it.

RAB

Not much of a collectors guitar however I think it's cooler than hell. Change the tuners put on the right tailpiece and put another hundred thousand miles on it.

Looks cool, a real road warrior! :dude: put on the correct bridge, gold knobs (black looks ugly with that sunburst IMHO), tuners (all these parts either real or repro) and go for it! :peace2

toxpert

I have ~ $1800 in this 'husk'. It was refinished black...more that 30 years ago and put away with no hardware.
All that came with this was the stud anchors, frets, nut and some/but not all the tuner bushings/grommets.
I had to procure the remaining period-correct parts with the exception of Jon's Throbak pickup and Dan's Mojoaxe compensated tailpiece.
I decided to just leave this one as is. If I were to send this out for a correct refin...I would have a refin'd refin. :teeth

image1_zpsfb7a88f6.jpeg

The bursted example you listed...appears to have all the original hardware except for tuners (the ad notes that original tailpiece comes).
The guitar you are inquiring about could be a great player. It might be worth your while to see what you can negotiate for the a sale price. A serious buyer with cash is a different scenario than a tire kicker.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That "original tailpiece" is a valuable part. You need to confirm it is right, and in good condition.

Chard

Thanks guys, the owner is interested in swapping it for a 1960's non Gibson guitar I owner that I kin I could sell for £2500-2800 so I'm trying to weigh it up?

montesada

It's got to be worth more than 2000 just in parts... original bridge, pickguard, pickup, harness, braz board... the last original pickguard I saw was $800...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It's got to be worth more than 2000 just in parts... original bridge, pickguard, pickup, harness, braz board... the last original pickguard I saw was $800...

This assumes that these parts are really original.
With those poor quality photos, I wouldn't count on it until closely examined.