• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Current Gold Top reissues vs 1970s or 1980s original models?

SeattleLPCustom

I love the 1970s classic in rock guitar and the Gold Tops from that era are so cool looking. I am currently looking for an original 1970s Gold Top....not a deluxe with the mini humbuckers...but one with the regular humbuckers. What do you call these models? Also, are the current reissues that Gibson is pumping out better quality than the originals? Thanks for your feedback!

Django2014

In my opinion, the 1957 Goldtop Reissues gibson is making now are better than anything they made in the 70's-80's period.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I love the 1970s classic in rock guitar and the Gold Tops from that era are so cool looking. I am currently looking for an original 1970s Gold Top....not a deluxe with the mini humbuckers...but one with the regular humbuckers. What do you call these models? Also, are the current reissues that Gibson is pumping out better quality than the originals? Thanks for your feedback!

When did the Gibson Custom Shop make reissues of 1970s or 1980s Les Paul Goldtops?
Never heard of this. :hmm

rob livesey

I played three vintage early 70's Deluxe Goldtops at the UK North West Guitar show in May.

I had a ton of cash in my pocket and left without a guitar. Nothing compared to my 2014 Historic R0.

The following week Richard Henry sorted me a 2014 Historic Goldtop R6. It's in another league compared with the guitars I tried at the show.

Just sayin......

Now, a late 60's Les Paul might be a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Rob.

Big Al

Deluxe-Mini Humbucker

Standard-Humbucker

Original Goldtops 1952-1958.

This should be moved to the Sunburst Pub.

guitarguy1962

When did the Gibson Custom Shop make reissues of 1970s or 1980s Les Paul Goldtops?
Never heard of this. :hmm

After the True Historic 74 Custom reissue, I wouldn't count out anything. Personally, I'm holding out for the True Historic Corvus reissue. :laugh2:

marshall1987

I

I have a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe and I can unequivocally say that the "quality of construction" is as good, or better, than the recent 1957 Historic Reissues. It's just a DIFFERENT DESIGN (i.e., 3-piece neck, sandwich body, volute), but the build quality is easily the equal of any of the 1957 reissues coming out of the Custom Shop.

In 1970, Gibson made around 2500 Les Paul Deluxes at the Kalamazoo factory. As Gibson began to build more and more Les Pauls at Kalamazoo from 1971 1975, in some years nearly 10,000, the QA/QC began to slip.

Here's mine........

Big Al

I

I have a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe and I can unequivocally say that the "quality of construction" is as good, or better, than the recent 1957 Historic Reissues. It's just a DIFFERENT DESIGN (i.e., 3-piece neck, sandwich body, volute), but the build quality is easily the equal of any of the 1957 reissues coming out of the Custom Shop.

In 1970, Gibson made around 2500 Les Paul Deluxes at the Kalamazoo factory. As Gibson began to build more and more Les Pauls at Kalamazoo from 1971 1975, in some years nearly 10,000, the QA/QC began to slip.

Here's mine........

I feel the same about my '71 Deluxe. Only 50's snob snub these, they are and have always been a quality guitar.

Progrocker111

My 70 Custom the same, these 70 and 71 Norlins have some extra qualities over the latter ones. I really dont see a drawback in build quality between 69s and 70 or 71s Les Pauls. Even the top carve shape is still nearly the same. Except some construction changes, they were built by same people, with same woods and electronics and all features like headstock veneer, nylon saddles on ABR etc.

Bomber72

Yep, same with my early '72 deluxe. I rememer being blown away by its resonance and its light weight (well, for a pancake at least, at just below 9 lbs) when i first picked it up, having only played crappy '75 norlins before.
Btw this is my first post here at this forum. Hoping I can contribute in one way or another :hank
Cheers!