• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SRUMMING HAND CRAMP AFTER SURGERY

89custom

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. 54 years old been playing since I was 10..had trigger finger surgery done few years back on fretting hand seems ok. Just had golfers elbow surgery done end of Dec 2014. Was out of work for 6 months no guitar till about Feb-March... was back to work in May,had gig March 28. 30 years retail in meat department which probably hasn't helped things with cold and repetition. Now it has happened twice at a gig.(never happened before elbow surgery) ..Terrible cramp between thumb and index finger holding pick. That I can't even strum or grab on to pick. Anyone have this operation or complications? I am not a light player and heavy handed....a digger in the fret board. Any insight would be appreciated ..........Thanks

WBailey

Iv'e been where you are brother. Golf and handguns got me good. I had an old retired neurosurgeon suggest Aspercreme at night, wrapped, and Bufferin during the day, ( any buffered aspirin ). 2 weeks later, done deal ! Never reoccurred. My brother is 10 years older, and warned me of this shit, I didn't listen. I now believe 50 is the hill everyone is referring too, lol :dude:

89custom

Oh 50 is the mark alright. I've never swung a golf club in my life not even pulling a Tony Soprano. I have 3-4 Advil before I play but didn't seem to help. Going to try drinking coconut water see if that helps.

David J

You might benefit from switching to a thick pick like a V-Pick. Easier to hold on to with less pressure between your thumb and index finger. Best of luck to you....hope you find a solution.

89custom

Funny it's never happened at practice and has happened a 2 gigs......I forgot to mention that if the crowd is into it we usually play a good 3 hours non stop no breaks. Were crazy like that. But it has happened early on in the set. Got a gig next Saturday......see what happens.