• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90 LP double cut - help getting a more sg bridge tone

Devonteran

I've been looking for an SG w/p90s and along my search I've been offered a too good to pass up offer on a Les Paul double cut with fralin p90s. The LP feels great, and as a slab of mahogany should in theory get the same range of tones. This LPDC has two volume and two tone pots.

Compared to the SG the LP neck pickup is much more to my liking. I like the bridge too, but it's so clear and articulate it doesn't get the honk that I was hoping for in the SG.

I noticed that the SG Classic has 300k volume pots instead of what I think are 500k in the LP. Would it help me to get closer to what I'm looking if I switched pots?

Is there a way to use a push/pull pot to get that difference as a switchable setting to keep what it has now too? I've also thought of maybe trying a push/pull tone pot with a different value tone cap on each setting to shift the mid hump lower.

Thoughts? Input?

duaneflowers

I find Lindy Fralin P-90s kind of tame... they are sweet and articulate but much milder than some of the others. The original Gibsons I have as well as the Wizzes are much more powerful and in your face if that is what you are looking for. I've been looking into a set of Wolftones recently which has 3 levels of Meanness to choose from... it might be time to turn the heat up a bit! :hee

I'm not sure how much you can accomplish with pots and caps but they are relatively inexpensive mods and worth the try before committing to a more expensive set of pickups.