• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$40 million for mini e tune

Soulweb

THAT is their foray into the modern world of guitars? Automatic tuning? Really?? Was there really a call for this? Is it really such a crippling problem in the world of guitar sales that a guitar needs to be tuned mechanically?

Yeah, I'm cynical. But holy crap, there has got to be a better way to bolster sales than to offer something easier than playing the guitar itself.

A slicker advertising campaign would do more than a tuner.

Lenny

Since many customers and shops complain the tuner doesn't work I imagine Gibson is in a lot of trouble. Not to mention that this year's wider fretboard was probably an attempt at improving tuning even if it makes the guitar awkward to play and look at. I understand now why prices of the USA and Custom Shop guitars has dramatically increased. What's next to keep afloat? An IPO?

goldtop0

THAT is their foray into the modern world of guitars? Automatic tuning? Really?? Was there really a call for this? Is it really such a crippling problem in the world of guitar sales that a guitar needs to be tuned mechanically?

Yeah, I'm cynical. But holy crap, there has got to be a better way to bolster sales than to offer something easier than playing the guitar itself.

A slicker advertising campaign would do more than a tuner.

+1

$40 mil down the drain imo

duaneflowers

Didn't Peavey and Tronical introduce autotuning features?

What required a $40 million investment if the technology already existed and could have been licensed? :wah

Gibson partnered with Tronical on development of the robot tuners. Most likely Gibson supplied the funding while Chris Adams provided the actual development.

Here is an interesting interview with Chris on its development and about partnering with Gibson... :dude:

sonar

I never understood why they would force feed a radical innovation (for guitarists at least) on an established model?

If the technology has legs and the marketing is there to support it why not introduce mini e tune on a new guitar model?

duaneflowers

I never understood why they would force feed a radical innovation (for guitarists at least) on an established model?

If the technology has legs and the marketing is there to support it why not introduce mini e tune on a new guitar model?

I agree... a Traditional isn't really a Traditional with a G Force on it... they can force it on lower end models if they like, but on the higher end ones it should at least be a choice. I just hope they don't start putting them on the Historics... :hee

DanD

I agree... a Traditional isn't really a Traditional with a G Force on it... they can force it on lower end models if they like, but on the higher end ones it should at least be a choice. I just hope they don't start putting them on the Historics... :hee

They're already putting it on the THRs... :dang

That's why they cost so much more. Gibson is paying for lost USA sales due to G Farce with the THR series profits! :hee

But seriously, they could have at least made each model available with or without G Force and then let the consumer decide.

Had Gibson gone about it that way at least they'd be able to gauge public interest. :peace2

JJC

"Some may be upset about this addition, but it also makes a lot of sense for a brand that’s looking to attract a new, young audience. Getting the tuning correct every time you pick up a guitar is a serious barrier to entry for those just getting started, and with Gibson already being on the pricier side as guitars go, anything that makes the product easier to use for a wider range of people is surely a good idea."

I'm not one to bash a company for trying something new or attempting something innovative - but the paragraph above puzzles me a bit because I don't remember the tuning being a barrier, it was my fingers hurting until they got callouses and the realization that nothing will happen without a lot of practice. You can't shortcut that with some technology. In fact, I think learning how to tune is part of learning the guitar. Or any instrument for that matter.

Then again, I suppose it might sound good in a sales pitch to people who don't know any better - and after Johnny's parents buy him the thing and he realizes there are no shortcuts, he'll go back to playing "Guitar Hero".

Xpensive Wino

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cB0wi5-5wNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>