• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Should I modify this Les Paul Axcess

talonmm

I just picked up this Les Paul Axcess with a Floyd Rose and really like it!

I love Les Paul Sunbursts and feel the Axcess guitar would look nicer and be a better match on my wall with some of my other Gibson Sunbursts if I put a cream colored pick guard on it.

Here's a picture as it currently is without one (I don't think Gibson ever sold a floyd rose with a pickguard) and a photo with an extra pickguard I had laying around. Although the pickguard is too white, it provides an answer at what it will look like.

Any thoughts on if this will change the feel of the guitar or ruin the value of the guitar should I ever decide to sell it?

1_3.jpg

Thanks!

Aden

Personally, I think that most LPs look better without the pickguard but that one with the floyd Rose does look nice with the pickguard. Whenever I have played LPs, either with or without the pickguard, I have never really felt a difference with the guitar. As for the value of it, I'm not sure if the pickguard holes would decrease value. But if it did, I doubt it would decrease the value very much.

DanD

Hard decision. I've grappled with this dilemma on a couple R9s I own. Both came with the guards and hardware to mount them as part of the case candy.

I know mounting the guards will give a more vintage appearance and basically save the top from most of the pick wear but can't bring myself to cover the flame... :##

elephantman

If the guitar is a financial investment, leave it alone. You should also leave in the case & never play it. If it's a musical instrument, do what you want to make it the best musical instrument for you (this includes aesthetics). Resale value never enters my mind when I buy or work on one of my own guitars.

BTORollAlong

I actually dig it without the pick guard. These are cool guitars, traditionalists be damned (and my only LP is a 2014 Traditional, so...).

zacknorton

Funny...an access is an investment but if you put a Floyd setup on a Norlin you "destroyed" it.

Gibson makes clip on pickguards....I bet you can figure out a way to hook one up without screwing into the top, if you had to.

elephantman

Funny...an access is an investment but if you put a Floyd setup on a Norlin you "destroyed" it.
It is funny how that works. I would not view the Access as an investment, it's not that kind of guitar. I think the only way putting a pick guard on it would harm the resale value is if you took it off before you went to sell it. I would not hesitate to put 2 tiny holes in it to mount a pick guard (but to me, Les Pauls are better with guards and if it were mine I would know that the guard is never coming off, so...).

And then I would play the living sh!t out of it.

talonmm

It is funny how that works. I would not view the Access as an investment, it's not that kind of guitar. I think the only way putting a pick guard on it would harm the resale value is if you took it off before you went to sell it. I would not hesitate to put 2 tiny holes in it to mount a pick guard (but to me, Les Pauls are better with guards and if it were mine I would know that the guard is never coming off, so...).

And then I would play the living sh!t out of it.

I appreciate everyone's responses!

I decided to modify the guitar! I don't look at it as an investment, but someday, when I downsize I would like to sell some of my guitars.

I think the guitar looks a heck of a lot better and matches the other LP sunbursts on my wall now!

00006001.jpg

Don

I was on the fence about this one but that looks great!

Soulweb

I can't do the floyd on a LP! It's looks just never seem right to me. Like putting a FLoyd on a Martin or a Froggy Bottom. Too many years of seeing LPs without tremelo has tainted my ability to see it for what it is. A perfect blend of old school and new.

That being said, you mentioned the guitar is not an investment. That frees you up from the confines of keeping anything original. And it says you bought that baby to PLAY! Kudos on ya!

I'm with others, I would have thought that the guard on an axess would look even more odd, but strangely enough it works really well! I'd keep it on if it doesn't interfere with your playing. In fact I think it looks like it belongs on there.

Play on!

talonmm

I've been meaning to post this picture for a long time and finally got around to taking it over the weekend.

This is why I really wanted to put the pickguard on this Les Paul Axcess - it fits in with my non vintage les paul sunbursts so much better now:

9.jpg

From Left to right:

2014 Les Paul Standard
2015 Les Paul Plus (thin body, awful-G force, awful LP 100 graphic)
2014 Les Paul 1959 Reissue VOS
Les Paul Axcess that was modified to include a pick guard

bloomk

I would like to do this as well... can you tell me where you got the pick guard? having a hard time finding one that fits..

MarkJB

Nice family! If you find the GForce "awful" take it off! its very easy to do, there are several peg sets that go straight in. looks like you still have the brass zero fret too - if you contact Gibson Customer Services they will send you a free titanium one (You can also get a Tusq nut for these too)

jsegovia

I appreciate everyone's responses!

I decided to modify the guitar! I don't look at it as an investment, but someday, when I downsize I would like to sell some of my guitars.

I think the guitar looks a heck of a lot better and matches the other LP sunbursts on my wall now!

00006001.jpg

Gorgeous guitar! I’m looking to purchase an Axcess and putting on a pickguard (as well as pickup covers) is something I’d definitely consider. Do you find the pickguard ever gets in the way when you use the whammy bar?

Jesse

Big Al

Absolutely. I know my primary concern is how well my guitars on my wall match. Looks like you dodged a bullet there. :rolleyes:

talonmm

Absolutely. I know my primary concern is how well my guitars on my wall match. Looks like you dodged a bullet there. :rolleyes:

I get your sarcasm, perhaps I should have said - I like my guitars to look a certain way, and I like pick guards. End of story.

Just revisiting this post since it had activity and moved to the top of the section, I realize there was some unanswered questions - sorry about that.

the pick guard does not get in the way when using the floyd rose and the pick guard was purchased at the local guitar store, off the hanging display wall - it's a stock gibson cream pick guard.

Big Al

Yep, if you like it, you like it and that is all there is to it. Somebody else has a problem with how you choose to set up your guitar is meaningless. Your guitar your choice, it's a pickguard! I had to goof on the wall thing though. :laugh2: Couldn't resist.