• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2005 Gibson Les Paul Classic '1960'. Specifications needed.

Aden

Hello, I have a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Classic which is the one with '1960' written on the pick guard and 'classic' written on the truss rod cover. It's my favourite guitar and I have used it for about 4 years. But I am unsure about a couple of the specifications though.

Is it 'Weight Relieved'? It weighs 11lbs, so its definitely not chambered! But I heard that all LPs after 1986 have 'Traditional Weight Relief', I'm not sure if this one does though because it does weigh 11lbs and is a Gibson Les Paul Classic '1960', so is made to a 1960's specifications?

Am I right that the pickups are 496R and 500T and are these the 'hottest' Gibson Les Paul pickups? I think that's what they are, it also came with the pickup covers taken off.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
:dude:

EDIT: It has what looks like satin chrome hardware, I think it's like this to look like it's 1960, but I've never seen one of the 2005 Classic 1960's with Satin Chrome, If that helps.

Last edited:

Ben_

I am almost certain it is "Traditionally" Weight relieved as it says on many specification pages that it has this feature.

:dude:

Aden

If it is Traditionally weight relieved then it must be made of heavy mahogany because I think the average weight for a weight relieved one is 9lb, but Mahogany does vary a lot from tree to tree.

Bloodspoint

I can't tell you about the weight relief or how much its specs are supposed to model a 1960. I do know the 496/500 are the stock pickups, and they're hot as hell. In a muddy sort of way. I have a '97, which weighs about 10 lbs., and the pickups were the only thing about it I didn't like. Put in some more normal pickups, and it's one of my favorite guitars.

Aden

I did think they were 496 and 500. They are the pickups that are used in a few reissue les Paul's and SG's I think. :dude:

Big Daddy B

OP if you are still looking for answers, the chambering started Oct 2006 so yours would be traditional weight relief (swiss cheese holes). Also the hardware is nickel, which would explain why it is not as shiny as chrome.

DanD

Traditional weight relief (Swiss cheesed), 9.5 to 10.5 are where most fall weight wise.

Some lighter and some heavier. To consistenty find LPs lighter you'd be looking at the chambered models or the Historic range. :peace2