• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1976 Music Emporium Gibson Prices

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Wish they were still priced like this...
ME_zps9np4q7lj.jpg
ME-G%201_zpspefq0cck.jpg
ME-G%202_zps3lhjjpwq.jpg
ME-G%203_zpsniyjnfyc.jpg

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
If only we could combine Henry's instruments with Norlin's pricing -- $400 for a Standard; $500 for a Custom. :wow

R8 Flame Top

Music Emporium was Veneman's Music mail order catalog. Veneman's was located in Springfield Va. and Rockville Md. They had more locations at one time and then narrowed it down to 2 locations. Veneman's always had great prices. Veneman's was a great store and I sure miss having a cool music store like Veneman's.

Last edited:

Iplay4JC

Wow, how times have changed! In 1976 I was working part-time making $2.50/hour and working my way through college. Purchasing a Les Paul then seemed an impossibility.

Thanks for sharing the nostalgia.

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Glad you guys like these. I just found another Music Emporium catalog from 1978 and am posting pics from it as well. it's nice to share these with everyone. they do bring back a lot of good memories. :)

chasenblues

Would the "Deluxe form fit case" for $55 be the "chainsaw" case's in the LP section ?

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Would the "Deluxe form fit case" for $55 be the "chainsaw" case's in the LP section ?

Just checked the catalog again and it makes no mention of the type of case other than the description on the page. my guess would be just the regular Gibson case of the day.

Dave71

Just checked the catalog again and it makes no mention of the type of case other than the description on the page. my guess would be just the regular Gibson case of the day.

+1 Don't believe the chainsaw cases came out until the late '70s. My first LP was a '79 Custom, and it had the chainsaw case.

K701

'SG Standard- Basically a plain version of the SG Custom with only two pickups...'

Those 'selling points' wouldn't make it through these days.

This has made me reflect back on Gibson's marketing from the start- was the choice to use 'standard' like saying: 'second best- you can't afford a Custom'. Was it meant to come across as highlighting that it is some kind of base model?

When I grew up 'Standard' had a different air about it- 'it's the standard as in high standard' Or was it always that way? Customs were seen as second fiddle and not desirable round our way.

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
"When I grew up 'Standard' had a different air about it- 'it's the standard as in high standard' Or was it always that way? Customs were seen as second fiddle and not desirable round our way."

This was the way it was in my neighborhood back then too. and still is to this day... just my (and my friend's) opinion(s), but Les Paul Customs, and the 3 PU SG's were considered "frilly" and with the Les Paul Customs having the smaller frets and lack of maple top (then), they were much less desirable for what we wanted to do with them.

Progrocker111

and with the Les Paul Customs having the smaller frets and lack of maple top (then)

Only 50s Customs were all mahogany (until 1960). All 68s and later had maple top just like Standards (except small 72/73 reissue run of 54 Custom). :)