• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

FS: 1977 Gibson Explorer

david.beason

I've set the wheels in motion on a fairly big vintage purchase and am going to have to dump a few of my current lineup before that is finalized. One of them is this really nice example of a '77 Explorer. This is from the second year of production after they started making them again in '76.

Asking price is $OLD.

DSC_0015_1.jpg

DSC_0017_2.jpg

DSC_0019_1.jpg

DSC_0021_1.jpg

DSC_0018_1.jpg

It is basically the same as the '76, with the ABR-1 bridge, gold hardware, etc. It is all original with the exception of the jack plate and one of the strap buttons. Note that in some of the pics, I have the Schaller strap buttons that I put on all my guitars. I've already put back the original front/neck one and the other Dunlop style one that were on the guitar when I got it. The pickups were removed by the previous owner, but were put back.

DSC_0024_2.jpg

DSC_0023_1.jpg

The frets are in good shape. They've been played, but I'm still able to get plenty of meat for bends, etc. No dead spots on any part of the neck.

DSC_0022_2.jpg

Last edited:

david.beason

The other thing worth noting is that there is a "BGN" stamp on the back of the headstock. I think this is similar to a "2" from this era, and seems to be due to a minor finish flaw around the heel. It looks like the glue squeezed out during the setting of the neck and when they finished the guitar, the place where it ran is still visible. As with other Norlin-era or vintage factory seconds, after almost 40 years, it's obviously a non-issue in terms of the guitar's capabilities.

nlflc0rh52ouraan4pzy.jpg

DSC_0020%202.jpg

DSC_0020_1.jpg

Sale will include the original hardshell case as well.

DSC_0026_1.jpg

DSC_0027_1.jpg