• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Studio 1993 vs. 2002

ArneRobot

Hello everybody,

I have two offers for a black Gibson LP Studio. One of the guitars is from 1993 and the other from 2002. I own a Studio from around 1998 myself which I am very satisfied with. Now I have to choose which of the black ones to buy? The older or the newer one. I will try to test both guitars this week but would like some background information and opinions from the community.

Any ideas or suggestions here?

Thanks a lot and cheers!

Arne

ArneRobot

Buy the one that sounds best. :)

That's what I'm planning to do. Though I won't be able to compare them side by side since both instruments come from two different sellers. So it will be hard to make an A/B shoot-out between the two instruments. I hope for some clear indications towards one or the other when I hold them in my hands and play…

I was looking for some background info about specs that might have changed over the years (cheaper pickups, worse craftmanship etc.).

Cheers!

Progrocker111

Early 90s Studios are great and often have ebony fingerboard. I really can recommend them. :)

Big Al

90's have one piece bodies and I like 'em better. Nice round 50's profile neck.