• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stock Les Paul Standard Plus 2012 with no coil taps. Can it be?

mickeyratt

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I only recently played a Les Paul Standard 2014 and fell in love with it. Every other Les Paul I had played just didn't feel right. I found a stock Les Paul Standard Plus 2012 that had been around in a store as a demo instrument but the seller says it has no coil taps. How can this be right?

I'm attaching a picture of the electronics (I'm not familiar with the Les Paul wirings) so you can take a look and confirm this for me.

Tag says model is LPSTD+DBCH1, SN:105120496
vtr340ppy75slf1bgmwa.jpg

I'm interested in these because I like the Burstbuckers a lot, feel the compound radius is a must and the shorter scale fits me better than any Strat. So I'll ask if you know of any Les Paul -Gibson or not- you feel it might be worth checking out. After all, $2000 is quite good money.

Thanks!

Iplay4JC

Welcome to the LPF.

The SN and model indicate it's a Standard Plus, desert burst finish with chrome hardware. I'm going to ask the obvious: Can you pull the volume pot up? If not, that'll quickly answer your question. As to why not, hopefully someone with more knowledge of the 2012 models will contribute.

Or you could also send the same information and pictures to Gibson Customer Service. They should be able to provide you an answer within 24-48 hours. :salude

mickeyratt

Welcome to the LPF.

The SN and model indicate it's a Standard Plus, desert burst finish with chrome hardware. I'm going to ask the obvious: Can you pull the volume pot up? If not, that'll quickly answer your question. As to why not, hopefully someone with more knowledge of the 2012 models will contribute.

Or you could also send the same information and pictures to Gibson Customer Service. They should be able to provide you an answer within 24-48 hours. :salude

Thanks!

I'm getting it online and the seller says there's no tapped coils (or split, more properly), but researching 2012 models I see they have coil-splits/phasing, all of which I can do later but it would be better if it came stock. The seller isn't sure why it comes that way.

I'll contact the Gibson guys and see if this is expected.

Joseph Palmer

The pickup wires are single coax in the pictures - (Green wire is signal, Black is shield) - no taps, at least at this end of the wire.
Also, the pots have no connection for a pull switch, so they are just normal pots with no switching.

jerns

The "2008 Model" Les Paul Standard was produced into 2012 and had no coil taps and had a board for pots (these are the ones with the neutrik jacks and transparent cavity covers), The "2012 Model" Les Paul standard started in mid 2012 and carried through 2013 and had coil splitting/out of phase/tone bypass wiring all done via push/pull pots, and was back to the hand wired control cavity.