• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Finish Checking On Traditional Models?

DannyR8

Will the finish on a Les Paul Traditional ever develop finish checking? I have a 2009 that gets played out often, goes through the hot/cold cycle fairly often and generally doesnt get regular wipe downs. I have heard that USA model LPs use a "plasticizer" in the lacquer. Sounds to me like that additive allows the finish to flex and move. Is that correct? I realize the guitar would most likely be too new for significant aging to occur but there are quiet a few dings and dents on various locations of the guitar. Just curious really. Any proof of Traditionals from around the time period of mine that have any checking?

DanD

The plasticizers should out-gas over time.

How much time? IDK, it would depend on the amount of plasticizers in the original paint formula and how the guitar is stored.

If you're looking for it to age faster I'd leave it out of the case and expose it to UV in an environment where the guitar will not get too hot.

My lacquer guitars that I play on a regular basis all remain uncased in a 'Fender' guitar case style 6 guitar holder.

I know from experience the sticky feeling from new nitro goes away more quickly when they are stored in the open.

I been told that's because the plasticizer is out-gassing.

:peace2

DannyR8

Thanks, that sounds logical.

I am not "trying" to age the guitar any sooner than it should, just wondering if it actually will.

I have read a fair deal of contradicting claims, both here, and other forums about what Gibson USA sprays. I was hoping some people out there would have visual evidence of the aging process on modern Gibson USA finishes.

renderit

They put plasticizers in to make the finish more durable, less prone to checking and dings and dents. All good things you would want, NORMALLY. Then you get around a guitar guy and the word takes on an annoyance factor. They are the only peeps in the world who don't want things to get better.

Your guitar will eventually check like an old one. It will maybe take an extra 10 years or so. To be honest, applied properly and with more care the finish could be undetectable from old nitro finishes. I think part of the bad name comes from the tendency to use the heavily plasticized finishes way to liberally, slopping it on so thick it's all most guitar nuts think about when they hear the word.

Quite frankly (because Frank is a great guy) if I had a choice between a true 59 burst unchecked and one with heavy checking I would go for the clean one.

DannyR8

Quite frankly (because Frank is a great guy) if I had a choice between a true 59 burst unchecked and one with heavy checking I would go for the clean one.

I agree with that sentiment. I appreciate well worn guitars but my OCPD gets in the way............a lot!

Trans-Am

I agree with that sentiment. I appreciate well worn guitars but my OCPD gets in the way............a lot!

You have to get over it and just let go between now and who knows when? Your historic's and standards/traditional etc.will eventually gas out and those cracks and smears/checking will show and you cant do anything about it. Its the nature of the beast like it or not. Just play your instrument well, its more fun playing than trying to figure out what happen and why etc. There is no perfect guitar really. You bought the guitar to play and not to put under a microscope. Life is short my friend. :salude

Get Over It - Eagles

Peace:dude:

DannyR8

You have to get over it and just let go between now and who knows when? Your historic's and standards/traditional etc.will eventually gas out and those cracks and smears/checking will show and you cant do anything about it. Its the nature of the beast like it or not. Just play your instrument well, its more fun playing than trying to figure out what happen and why etc. There is no perfect guitar really. You bought the guitar to play and not to put under a microscope. Life is short my friend. :salude

Get Over It - Eagles

Peace:dude:

I think you are taking my question wrong. I am over it, I just like to understand what's what and why things happen. The issue with my Historic was a little off-putting only because the guitar was new. I actually look forward to owning nice naturally aged guitars. It's all good :salude

renderit

Ah, but the cracks will NOT automatically appear! There are 50's Gibsons out there with none. It does not HAVE to happen. Kept within reasonable temperature changes and good humidity levels it will not happen.

Trans-Am

....and not all of us do keep these fine instrument in check with the right amount of temperature wherever we are, for they are not museum pieces unlike a few certain elite members we have in this forum that will have the real McCoy.:salude

Peace!!

Trans

renderit

I think on some it's just luck. Living in a Northern clime the luck is unlikely though. I will (hopefully) soon be in the mountains. I expect some of mine will shatter. Who knows? Most of the "perfect" ones I have seen though seem to come from CA or AZ. A few down here in Tejas.