• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice #34 "The Blackburst" coming soon!!!

ChevChelios

I totally like the idea of having a hidden flame top lurking under the black. If I remember correctly, either Joe or Charlie said that you can actually see the flames when you look at the original at the right angle. I wonder if that's also true with the modern (low nitro, kind of rubber-ish) Gibson lacquer?

Also: It says "washed cherry" finish under the black. Is there any chance to figure out whether the red color of the original burst before painting it black was faded or still strong cherry?

I'm really intrigued ... :XRE

Fried okra

Also: It says "washed cherry" finish under the black. Is there any chance to figure out whether the red color of the original burst before painting it black was faded or still strong cherry?

I'm really intrigued ... :XRE

each one will come with a photo of what it looks like before finished in black.:jim

ChevChelios

Thanks FO,

But I meant on the ORIGINAL guitar (sorry, I should've made this clearer ... damn language barrier).

I reckon it must have sat in the Gibson shop from early 59 to early 60. Or could it be that it had been returned?

emg32

I meant like a real 50's top carve. My CC#17 did not have a top carve like a real burst.

The Original Bursts top carve varied a lot! What you consider accurate depends on which Original Burst you are basing it on. Seems a lot feel the 2013/2014 carve is pretty accurate overall compared to the more exaggerated carve on some Historic Makeovers, etc...

Fried okra

Thanks FO,

But I meant on the ORIGINAL guitar (sorry, I should've made this clearer ... damn language barrier).

I reckon it must have sat in the Gibson shop from early 59 to early 60. Or could it be that it had been returned?

Lol. I should have known.:##

TM1

People forget that Fender use to do the same thing. They would spray a Custom Colour over a Sunburst on a Strat to fill an order or if a customer brought/sent one back to Fullerton..

shred

It will be interesting to see how this one sells... The original Blackburst is cool in the context of a Burst with an interesting history, but as a CC, a black-over-burst is a pretty specific fetish :hmm

Trans-Am

.....and where is this CC #34 derived from once again?
I personally think they could've made it more differently per say to set it apart and have given it a totally different state from all the rest.
No one would think face to face it's a Blackburst aside from a regular black Les Paul be it be a Standard/Oxblood/Historics etc.

What is it that makes it different from the rest really?:hmm

A '68 Custom Authentic does justice over this.

MORE like what a person would do for a REFIN period. To each his own from hereon I reckon!

Peace!!

shred

Hopefully you'll be able to see the figure through the paint at least a little... I'll be following the NGD's :salude

ChevChelios

Call me stupid, but that is the only CC guitar so far that totally turns me on!!! I love how the red shines through the dings and faded into the binding. Cool as cool gets! :dude:

Big Al

I don't get it at all. All this panting over a painted over flametop bursted R9, with pictures of how cool it USED to look before the great blackening? Sorry but this is just silly, not interested.
:wah

Trans-Am

I don't get it at all. All this panting over a painted over flametop bursted R9, with pictures of how cool it USED to look before the great blackening? Sorry but this is just silly, not interested.

+1 Ditto!! :wah

emg32

It's a Collectors Choice model and obviously all of those models are based on a Original Burst. This Original Burst started out as a flamed top Cherry Burst. The original owner loved the look of the black Customs but couldn't afford one at the time so he asked Gibson to repaint his Original Burst black. Which of course Gibson did and why this CC is a Cherry Burst flamed top guitar refinished in black. Back then no one knew these guitars were going to be worth mega money in the future. Back then most didn't even like them hence why they were discontinued. Now the Black Burst is a pretty famous Original Burst. IMO it's a cool guitar, cool story and a cool concept for the Collectors Choice line. It's something different from the big majority of Lemon Bursts CC's. Gibson is only making 100 of them so I don't see where it's a big deal. They will sell to those that like the concept and others that don't obviously do not have to buy one.