• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

eBay tragedy:

blewsbreaker

What's the problem?
Like Eddie says, he's doing us all a favor.....
:wah

Xpensive Wino

"The tone is in the Wood...that simple...."

Is that what he told the guy(s) he flogged the PAFs to? :hmm

Dothedew

OR you put less than $500 into this with parts online, and HAVE A Real.. I Say Again.. REAL! 55 Year Old Vintage, with Brown Lifton Case... think on that one:)

Maybe someone well versed in vintage part prices can chime in, but wouldn't it cost drastically more than $500 to restore it with original parts from 1959?:wah
The things people do for the almighty buck is nothing short of mind blowing.

TwoTubMan

Can't decide what pisses me of worse, the destruction of the guitar, or him patting himslef on the back .

251blckgrds

I would do that to a Gretsch in a NY second, but not to that. Geesh....dude is a :wank.

ourmaninthenorth

This is nothing more than bloody vandalism.

To misquote the great John Hiatt..perfectly good guitar..

There out to be a law with no bail
part out a guitar and you go to jail
With no chance for early parole
You don't get out till you get some soul

:dang

Stoj

What an asshole!

Totally agree why he would screw a completely mint Switchmaster is beyond me, his history speaks for itself.

I wouldn't trust the guy if he owned every vintage guitar in the world. He's screwed so many people in the past not disclosing issues on guitars he's sold, just ask the guy who bought the supposedly mint '54 LP only to find out it was a refin :bigal

People like EV give the vintage game such a bad name, in short "Buyer Beware"

Wally

big time tragedy. He isn't much of a guitar guy, imho. I don't call an ES-5 a 'jazz guitar'....just like I don't call an ES-175, a Byrdland or an L-5CES a jazz guitar. The 1958 ES-5---all-original---that I had for a short time was a rock and roll monster. Chuck Berry played that early rock and roll on an an ES-350, didn't he?
I cringe whenever I hear someone call a hollowbody electric a jazz guitar. I know jazz players...I don't know a jazz guitar. And....Some great jazz has been played on solidbody electrics....you know...those 'rock n roll guitars. His selling hype/BS is weak.
I bid $1500 on the shell and the case....max. IN other words, I would not support this seller in any way. But...he'll find his fish...and they'll think they have a real '59 ES-5 tone monster..cuz the sound is in the laminates, right?

FretsAlot

That's almost as sad looking at those photos of the elephants shot dead by the blackmarket ivory poachers...

I don't think there has been an interest/hobby I've been associated with that didn't have greedy opportunists associated with it, like that guy. I'd like to think kharma catches up to them, but I'll admit to not having much faith/belief in that brand of justice.

Friends, we are gathered here today to honor the memory of...

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited:

Pickdropper

The 57 Goldtop "Conversions" are pretty weird, too.

Apparently, they are both 1992 Studios that have been refinished and aged, have had binding added and now have a 2012 R9 fretboard on them (which I assume were removed because somebody wanted the 2012 board removed from their R9). A bargain at $4k.

Weird stuff.