• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ed King's "Sweet Home Alabama" lesson for the LPF!!!

Bob Womack

One more question about "I Need You": is that you at the top saying "Up!"? :hmm

Bob

K_L

Probably shouldn`t even ask/post this but what the heck! Because your [Ed King!] guitar playing is truly showcased at it`s best [imho] on 'Second Helping', it would be wonderful if you just played the entire CD of it at a low volume and then played/record it 'live' along with every track on it w/ your Strat etc and then share with all of us here on the LPF! I would love to see you play 'your guitar parts' to every tune on 'Second Helping' esp 'Workin` for MCA' and 'Call Me the Breeze' 'Curtis Loew' etc!! as the LP is really a GREAT batch of classic Skynyrd tunes and truly shows your great talent as a guitaist! Maybe you could just do/post one track at a time. I know that I am asking ALOT here...but what the heck!!! :)

T.Allen

Probably shouldn`t even ask/post this but what the heck! Because your [Ed King!] guitar playing is truly showcased at it`s best [imho] on 'Second Helping', it would be wonderful if you just played the entire CD of it at a low volume and then played/record it 'live' along with every track on it w/ your Strat etc and then share with all of us here on the LPF! I would love to see you play 'your guitar parts' to every tune on 'Second Helping' esp 'Workin` for MCA' and 'Call Me the Breeze' 'Curtis Loew' etc!! as the LP is really a GREAT batch of classic Skynyrd tunes and truly shows your great talent as a guitaist! Maybe you could just do/post one track at a time. I know that I am asking ALOT here...but what the heck!!! :)

Now you are asking a semi-retired guitarist to work too hard. :jim

jbyrd1

What a GREAT thread. Kudo's to Charlie for making this place great, and thank you Mr. King. L.S. is the reason I picked up a guitar, and wore out Gold and Platinum as an 8 yr. old kid trying to play along. It's cool that you jump on here and do this.

It may get lost on you, but you should really know how big an influence you have been on what I'm sure is a great many people. My childhood was a bit crappy, and I'm quite sure if it wasn't for the guitar, I would have ended up in a whole lot of trouble at some point. If not for you and your band, I may never have touched one. So, thank you kind sir!

Unfortunately, I never caught the band before 1987, as I was only 8 in 1977. Seeing that tour was a dream come true to a 18 yr. old kid who had long wanted to see the band that inspired him. I had the good fortune of meeting the band in the early 90's, as I had got to know Dale Krantz's uncle, but never had the opportunity to meet you, so this is as good as it gets! Thank you again.

And by the way, I promise I'll fix the mistakes! I'm the one with the Firebird! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9McgLj1f1Q

guitplayer

Ed, anyway you could play a short snipet of Poison Whiskey or Things goin on?
Great stuff.

CBRmatt600

I always had the intro and chorus dead on, but I'll be damned if I could ever find drummer and bass player that did it correctly. Grateful for this lesson on the solo though Ed, thank you!

How about a tutorial on your slide work in Mr. Banker? That's one of my all time favorites with you and Gary, and I've got Gary's part down. Never could touch your slide work though!

Blackvault

2: This is a big one. NOTICE there are NO DOWNBEATS in the chorus. The BASS plays those...or SHOULD. Also, notice the sliding 5ths on the D & C chords. NOBOBY BUT NOBODY hears it.

Can you explain point two a bit more for me. Watching the video I can't seem to hear any difference, surely they are downbeats?

Thanks