• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are the holes too obvious if I take the.pickguard off?

mceo

Hi all,

I have been thinking of either change the pickup guard to a black one or just take it off.

Any tips if the holes are too obvious, any fix to that? Specially the one by the bridge humbucker.

elephantman

As a quickie fix you can get some wood putty of the right (or close) color and put a little in the hole. You could even brush or spray a little NC lacquer on it, but watch out. You don't want to turn a little tiny screw hole into a quarter (or bigger) size blemish. I'd start with the putty. It won't be invisible, but I'd settle for not very noticeable. Depending on how it's mounted, you may have a ding in the top if the screw in the middle of the guard contacted the body. Usually not, but it's a possibility.

johnnymustang5

Hi all,

I have been thinking of either change the pickup guard to a black one or just take it off.

Any tips if the holes are too obvious, any fix to that? Specially the one by the bridge humbucker.

Are you referring to the pick guard or the pickup trim? I'm assuming you mean the pick guard.
It depends on how much the visual aspect of the guitar means to you. There is no way, without being an expert craftsman, to make it look like there was never a hole in the guitar. Matching the color and top coat evenly would be difficult as well. There are just to many techniques for the average joe to take on that sort of repair. You can just put the screw back into the guitar for a rustic look. Or change it to the black one as described in your post. If you truly want to cover the hole then get a wooden matchstick and cut it slightly less than the length of the screw (minus the screw head length). Push the match stick in the screw hole and the hole is filled. Now matching the color can be hard. If it is a black guitar then paint or take a black magic marker to the top to the match stick (before putting the match stick in the hole) and you're somewhat there. However it will not be perfect like a guitar without a hole in the first place. And it will still be noticeable.

Or take it to someone who refinishes guitars and pay them for a professional look.

DanD

Most folks just leave the screw hole be. It's not all that noticeable from more than a few feet. You'll have one on the edge by the binding too. Not really a big deal. :peace2

Jeff West

Fwiw, I remember Jim Thackery had a blonde L6S he used for slide, he removed the pick guard but put the screws back in the holes, looked good I thought.

shred

The holes are cool, natural and iconic... To my eyes it actually looks weird without the holes... Good luck :salude

Minneapolis Slim

Fwiw, I remember Jim Thackery had a blonde L6S he used for slide, he removed the pick guard but put the screws back in the holes, looked good I thought.

That's what I do. Who cares about the looks, I don't want to lose those screws! :##

fastdave

Go to Stuart Mackintosh's site mate. He's an amazing luthier with incredible hints and tips - he also does free video how tos' on u tube - he's good for gear and if you take your instrument to him - I think you may refute the 'It'll never be the same again' argument.
I had a Squire strat come off the wall and hit my brand new LPS in its stand - I removed two deep gouges and proved his methods.
Dave.

Kris Ford

That's what I do. Who cares about the looks, I don't want to lose those screws! :##

Me too!
KIMG0220.jpg

Screw back in, and done!:yah
The bottom hole doesn't bother me one bit..

Elmore

Don't worry about the pick guard screw holes. Just take the guard off if you want. I went through the same thing. Only us guitar geeks will even notice.

Jabba-burst

No screw holes on a 2015, with the pickguard on or off; it's screwless.

sorry, I couldn't resist...