• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1984 Gibson Les Paul case question

bdmotorcycle

hi everyone - I just picked up a 1984 Les Paul Studio in Iced Tea Burst. Unfortunately it did not come with a case. I would like to eventually get a case that is era-correct for a 1984 guitar. Does anyone know what was the standard Gibson case in 1984? It seems like most of the 84s I see on eBay or Reverb have the chainsaw/protector case, but I've never been a fan. Did all LPs come in protectors in the mid-80s or was there an option to get a more traditional case? I don't think the brown case/pink fluffy shroud was around before 90 or so, but I think the 70s black/purple was already gone by the 80s. Was there something in the middle? Help:)

Godin/64

I bought a Les Paul Standard new in 1987 from Strings & Things in Memphis and it came with the chainsaw protector case with blue lining. I don't remember having another option, but that was a long time ago. I'm not sure what years they started or stopped using this case. I never was a big fan either, however it did seem sturdy.....just ugly. Here is a picture. Sold this guitar in 1995.
c2xfUJ.jpg

Last edited:

scottknouse

This might be a pretty nice match for your guitar.
They are tanks, but I don't think there's any better protection for your investment.