• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1977 Les Paul Deluxe help

Albin

Hey everyone!

I've casually looked for a Deluxe Goldtop for a while now, not really doing any active searching. There aren't many people that sell Deluxes in Sweden so I've mainly looked at the newer versions. However, some time ago, I found a 1977 Deluxe Goldtop at an online store. The store has a physical store in a city nearby so me and my friend went there this past weekend. We tried different Gibsons and felt that the Deluxe stood out as the best, both in feel and sound.

The guitar was in good shape. It had some dings and scuffs but nothing that really screamed abuse :p It had a one piece mahogany body and a 3 piece maple neck with a volute.

I've done some research on the 70s Deluxes and understand that they are from the "Norlin era". I've read about pancakebodies and the maple necks with volutes etc. I understand that there is a lot of controversy around these guitars.

What I'm asking for is if anyone has any opinions and/or informations on the Deluxes from this era. I heard something about the top carve being shallower, is this true? If one were to go for a "newer" Deluxe, which model years are considered good? (talking about ≈2000)

Of course, this little trip got me GASsing insanely much :p

Last edited:

sshan2525

I can't speak about this particular guitar but l do know this: some of the greatest rock guitar tone ever heard was recorded on those Norlin era Gibsons.

moonweasel

Welcome Albin!

If the guitar speaks to you and the price is right, I would just ignore the controversy and go with your instincts. Good luck!

Progrocker111

There is no controversy in fact and there is nothing wrong with Norlin era generally. These guitars are just different than earlier ones and current too. 77 Deluxe will have most probably non pancake body and for sure maple neck with short neck tenon.

Pots are 300k, otherways it could be too bright sounding guitar with maple neck and those minihumbuckers. If you like its tone, other things are not important. :)

I prefer 70-74 Les Pauls, cause they are more similar to late 60s in both construction and tone.

marantz1300

I had a 77 routed Deluxe.The carve is shallower and the horn is a different shape.It was heavy too.
But it was a tone monster.I would be happy to have another.
If it was the best ,buy it.

zoommutt

I have a 1977 Gold Top Deluxe that I've had since 89.It doesn't have a pancake body, but it is my heaviest Les Paul. If it speaks to you then get it. You can experiment and put P-90's in if you want.