• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If You Bought A 2015 Les Paul, I Want To Speak With You

tokairic

I also have seen leftover 2014s at wildly varying prices. I have seen just in the last two weeks in Amazon ads the same two 2014 LP Root Beer Min-e tune LPs listed at $2699, $1599 and now at $2999.

Oddly it has become an 'arab market' for Gibson Les Pauls. Prices are all over the place. You could get a bargain or pay way too much, its become essential to scour the internet. Although I would like to support my local dealer, he was consistently expensive on the 2015 LP's, literally hundreds of pounds dearer than many other online Gibson dealers. Only a couple of weeks ago an ad appeared from one of the main UK Gibson dealers showing the full range of 2016 Les Pauls, including the HP's, at massive discounts. No sooner had it appeared than it disappeared (within two days). Now you wonder if that was an ad prepared for the clearance of 2016's after the influx of 2017 stock, and released prematurely?? The many folks who saw it probably think so and will hold back on that 2016 LP purchase........

tokairic

Oh dear, I hope we haven't become a new generation, '2017, the year of doom for the Lester'!
Forget '59, 2015 was the year they got the Les Paul spot on...................................
Arf.

Funny you should say that. I, among many others, have been suggesting the same thing. Younger players aren't going to remember the heyday of Gibson and the name will mean less to them. Gibson have been riding the tide of historical significance for too long for their own good.
Only young guitar 'geeks' will be aware of the history, and younger players will have a more open mind on branding. Gibson may be dissed as 'old and unfashionable' rather than 'historic and desirable'.

Mats A

I have never owned a 2015 Les Paul but i've played a few in stores. To me that has played Les Paul for over 30 years they feel very strange. Still after a while i can get used to the neck but it will never feel like a Les Paul to me. Why change something that have worked since the 50's? Gibson can offer these things as options for those who like it. But never stop making the Les Paul as we know it.

tokairic

I have never owned a 2015 Les Paul but i've played a few in stores. To me that has played Les Paul for over 30 years they feel very strange. Still after a while i can get used to the neck but it will never feel like a Les Paul to me. Why change something that have worked since the 50's? Gibson can offer these things as options for those who like it. But never stop making the Les Paul as we know it.

You are obviously an older player, (as i am), and as we age we don't like change, and are more comfortable with familiar things. Also our perception of time changes (have you noticed the year seems to pass more quickly?) so change appears to be more frequent.
Let's not forget that Gibson is a Corporation who's main aim is to make money. They need to get the younger players interested in Gibson, and you don't get that market by churning out the same product year on year. The younger element is always looking for the latest thing (last years mobile pone is old hat etc), and tend to follow trends, fashion and peer pressure. You've only got to look at how guitar advertising has changed over the years to see that music has followed the same pattern as any other advertising (new is good - old is bad)
Unfortunately for Gibson. they seem to have not done enough (with the 2015 guitars) to attract the young players and have alienated the old players. They are out of touch with the market.
I have two daughters who are both accomplished musicians. The older one will play anything (regardless of Brand) as long as it sounds good and plays well. While the younger one is heavily into metal (organises gigs and mixes with the bands etc) and she wouldn't even consider a Gibson. If they are typical of younger players I don't hold much hope for Gibson's future.

Mats A

I agree. But somehow i believe a Les Paul will always be a Les Paul to guitar players. So if that's what they want they get one. If they don't like it they will more likely play something else no matter how Gibson changes the guitar. Gibson got their Flying V's and Explorers.

OldStrummer

Hi. I'm a newcomer to the forum and a newcomer to LPs. In fact, I'm a relative newcomer to the idea of an "all-electric" guitar (I'm an older player, used to acoustics and my 1957 Gibson ES-225). Yesterday, I unpacked my first-ever LP, something I felt I just wanted, given the history and reputation of the guitar. It's a 2015 Classic Rock II, one of the "limited edition" guitars with the marble look, and the 2015 "enhancements" everyone on this thread talk about.

I read the article DrumBob wrote, and truthfully, it was the only negative article I could find about the 2015 crop of Gibson guitars. Every review I read about the Classic Rock II was positive, and given my desire to own a LP, with the added bonus of owning a "limited edition," I plunked down my $$$.

And it's too early to tell, but I have to admit that when I first plugged it in and gave it a whirl, it didn't set my heart on fire quite like my Fender Stratocaster did. My biggest complaint (I hate to use that word, but I can't think of a better one, yet) is the complexity of toggling a multi-position switch, a 15db booster, and working two volume controls and a single tone control, plus a push-pull coil splitter. Somehow my Strat with three pickups, a five-way switch, and three knobs seems to be easier to maneuver.

The neck is also not what I expected. Again, the maple "soft-V" neck of my Strat allows my hand to move like butter over the frets and strings, but the LP fretboard seems "stickier." This guitar is said to have the "SlimTaper{tm}" profile. Whether that's wider than older LPs, I can't say.

It was DrumBob's forum topic that brought me here, and I immediately recognized the article he was going to write. I have no basis for comparison, but is there a way to stack this 2015 LP up against similar models (2016 Standard, 2017?)?

plexi70

Gibson skimps so their affordable guitars don't compete with their high-brow models. They could be more successful if they would upgrade their bottom-line quality standard as to better honor their past. If Gibson wants to merge old with new - make it a good vintage and not a mediocre and dusty old.

My 2015 LP Jr has the wide, slim-taper neck and the zero nut fret which I consider to be modern features that I like as compared to my LP with a 60s profile neck. I had the pleasure of playing a used '57 LP Junior Historic shortly after I got my '15 Junior and the Historic sounded just great! Inspired by this, I did my homework on dogear P90s and replacing the stock pickup in my Jr. with a Wolfetone Meaner and gutted the cavity and put in an Electric City LP Jr. 50s style harness that has custom CTS pots and Luxe PO capacitors.

This mod moved my LP Jr. very close to the tone of the Historic - better is some areas. Essentially, the tone is now an awesome vintage 50s on steroids, and the playability is still modern- a great merge of old and new. In comparison, the stock pickup and wiring really did not do the guitar any justice.

Last edited:

murphyhoran

I bought a 2015 Les Paul Standard Sprint Run this summer. It's basically a 2015 Standard with a traditional profile and width neck, with locking tuners. Still has the zero fret.

Once I got it I called Gibson and they shipped me a new Titanium nut to replace the brass one that had the reputation to prematurely wear.

I wasn't in the market for a Les Paul, but this one happened to play as well as, and have the fit and finish of my PRS.

I subsequently found a used set of Gforce tuners and placed them on the guitar, and they work great.

I've also tried the extra wide necks that Gibson offered in 2015, they were unplayable IMO. I like the soloist neck heel and width on the 2016 models

Fish Fingers

er, 2015 necks unplayable? Must be why I sound so awful then!
If you want unplayable then the 'stick of liquorice' Ibanez Gem necks were for me unplayable.
I like 'em chunky, plus I'm on my first Les Paul so for me it was just a 'get on with it' thing.
Now, how can I afford another 2015 Lester, and how can I sneak it past mission control?
I have an irrational and uncontrollable desire for a plaintop.

Benjirob

Well I picked up a 2015 Les Paul Standard... Wow what a guitar!!!

Bought new from Thomann online for just over £1,100. Absolute steal!!!

Out of all the Gibson electrics I've owned (1990 ES-335, 2001 '68 Reissue Les Paul Custom, '00s Les Paul Jr.) and used for a long time in studios/bands (Gibson SGs, Ritch Robinson 335, various Les Paul Classics), this is up there as one of the best. It just edges my 335 which was the best guitar I've ever had. Very similar tone, but more sustain and less feedback!

It looks great, the build quality is superb, it's super comfortable to play, has lots of tones and the Burstbucker Pros are awesome. It has a great carved belly and the rosewood looks as dark as my ebony fretboard guitars.

I definitely understand if you pick one up and have a quick noodle that the neck will feel odd, the extra width makes a huge difference, but after a little bit of playing and getting used to it it feels great in my hands. Reminds me of some PRS guitars I've played.

I was dead certain I'd ditch the robot tuners, I thought they were a terrible idea but my god I was wrong. They are amazing, I can't recommend them enough. If you're skeptical and haven't used them or spent time with them, give it a go because they are brilliant! The main challenge is whether they're still working years down the line.

Lastly the logo on the headstock. I thought it looked absolutely terrible when these first came out, but in person I don't mind it. It's an anniversary guitar and I'm used to it now. It's a Gibson, not an imitation copy, I couldn't care what's on the headstock if it's a genuine model. It was a huge risk for them to do, and I'm happy they did as it meant I could pick this guitar up so cheap.

I've gone through so many guitars since I sold my 335 trying to fill the void, this is the first one I've had that I've preferred to that guitar.

MarkJB

Well I picked up a 2015 Les Paul Standard... Wow what a guitar!!!

Bought new from Thomann online for just over £1,100. Absolute steal!!!

Out of all the Gibson electrics I've owned (1990 ES-335, 2001 '68 Reissue Les Paul Custom, '00s Les Paul Jr.) and used for a long time in studios/bands (Gibson SGs, Ritch Robinson 335, various Les Paul Classics), this is up there as one of the best. It just edges my 335 which was the best guitar I've ever had. Very similar tone, but more sustain and less feedback!

It looks great, the build quality is superb, it's super comfortable to play, has lots of tones and the Burstbucker Pros are awesome. It has a great carved belly and the rosewood looks as dark as my ebony fretboard guitars.

I definitely understand if you pick one up and have a quick noodle that the neck will feel odd, the extra width makes a huge difference, but after a little bit of playing and getting used to it it feels great in my hands. Reminds me of some PRS guitars I've played.

I was dead certain I'd ditch the robot tuners, I thought they were a terrible idea but my god I was wrong. They are amazing, I can't recommend them enough. If you're skeptical and haven't used them or spent time with them, give it a go because they are brilliant! The main challenge is whether they're still working years down the line.

Lastly the logo on the headstock. I thought it looked absolutely terrible when these first came out, but in person I don't mind it. It's an anniversary guitar and I'm used to it now. It's a Gibson, not an imitation copy, I couldn't care what's on the headstock if it's a genuine model. It was a huge risk for them to do, and I'm happy they did as it meant I could pick this guitar up so cheap.

I've gone through so many guitars since I sold my 335 trying to fill the void, this is the first one I've had that I've preferred to that guitar.

nice! Love the neck on mine too. I have to say I ditched the GForce. Yes, it works and is great if you are changing tunings all the time. But, I found because I don't a) I could never remember where all the different tunings were and b) I couldn't get it to hold its tuning - yes, it's easy to retune but TBH I don't want to have to do it after every song. I just put Gibson vintage tuners on, nothing special, and now it holds it tune as perfectly as any other guitar I've had.

dont forget to get on to Gibson customer services for a free titanium nut to switch out for the brass one! Or do as I did and get the Tusq version.

tokairic

I have been having a look see at the 2016 Lesters, just to see if there is anything I fancy come the release of the 2017 range.
I can't believe how poor the finish is on some of these guitars. The naff body to neck paint slop over and the frankly iffy finish generally makes me realise what a bargain I got!
My Deluxe is getting better and better as it settles in. It might be me, but I do believe that guitars take a while to find their 'voice'.
I still can't play for toffee though.

Yessir - Gibson still have a long way to go with QC. You will find a good one but you have to go through a pile of poor ones to find it. Mail order is still a risk with Gibsons approach to quality.
I had a look around the new Gibsons in my local dealer - some really nice ones. However one in particular had a terribly mismatched top - great flame maple on one half and barely a hint of flame on the other, no way bookmatched or anywhere near! The price was over £3000, Custom Shop guitar - now come on Gibson!!

tokairic

I've gone through so many guitars since I sold my 335 trying to fill the void, this is the first one I've had that I've preferred to that guitar.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the Gibson ES339? I find the 335 too much of an armful but I love the 339, I have the Trad Pro without the F holes - Its a keeper!

tokairic

I bought a 2015 Les Paul Standard Sprint Run this summer. It's basically a 2015 Standard with a traditional profile and width neck, with locking tuners. Still has the zero fret.

Once I got it I called Gibson and they shipped me a new Titanium nut to replace the brass one that had the reputation to prematurely wear.

I wasn't in the market for a Les Paul, but this one happened to play as well as, and have the fit and finish of my PRS.

I subsequently found a used set of Gforce tuners and placed them on the guitar, and they work great.

I've also tried the extra wide necks that Gibson offered in 2015, they were unplayable IMO. I like the soloist neck heel and width on the 2016 models

Unplayable ? No way - I switch between my other USA guitars and my 2015 Gibson without more than a few seconds to adapt. Its a personal preference thing but I thing You are in a minority mate.

JJMMWG DuPree

Yessir - Gibson still have a long way to go with QC. You will find a good one but you have to go through a pile of poor ones to find it. Mail order is still a risk with Gibsons approach to quality.
I had a look around the new Gibsons in my local dealer - some really nice ones. However one in particular had a terribly mismatched top - great flame maple on one half and barely a hint of flame on the other, no way bookmatched or anywhere near! The price was over £3000, Custom Shop guitar - now come on Gibson!!
What is it that people like about bookmatched tops? They're not so bad if you can get an exact​ match but they're very much of a rarity. I'd much rather have a nice one-off slab of wood.

tokairic

What is it that people like about bookmatched tops? They're not so bad if you can get an exact​ match but they're very much of a rarity. I'd much rather have a nice one-off slab of wood.

If you want a plaintop thats fine - it means you can have a Gibson plaintop without binding etc for a few hundred dollars which is still a Gibson and for all intents and purposes plays just as well and sounds just as good as a Custom Shop guitar.
You could also drive an East European Trabant instead of a Ferrari, it will still get you from A to B.
There is something inexplicably satisfying about owning a functional thing which is also a thing of natural beauty - paint doesn't do it at all, compared to the natural beauty of flame maple, or koa for instance.

However If you are paying a few thousand dollars more and the beauty of the burst is your thing, you should expect a near perfect bookmatch. The guitar in question was a Custom Shop model, but I have seen better tops on run of the mill Standards, I have one of them.

Quite a few famous players use basic Studio's on stage, and wear them out like the work tool they are, whilst keeping a Custom Shop guitar at home, just for the pleasure of it, eg the Levellers lead guitarist .

gibbyaddict

I got a studio 2015 sunburst and I absolutely love the thing. I have long fingers so the wider slim taper neck is a dream come true. Good on gibson for trying something new. The G-force has worked perfectly, stil dont understand all the whining about it, I can manually tune a guitar, but if theres a thing there tuning it for me, why whine about it. It especially comes handy when going through alternate tunings, after all I enjoy playing the guitar not necessary tuning one. If you enjoy and like spending time tuning guitars YOU CAN STIL TUNE MANUALLY, just don't turn the thing on. Don't love the signature but I wouldn't cry over it either. I didn't like the colour of the pickup rings and switch ring so I replaced them with the traditional cream colour ones. Also didnt like the black knobs so I replaced em with the gold. Now it looks nice. The brass nut, again not sure why all the whining, it only gives you more options. All in all great guitar, feels nice, great sound.

OldStrummer

The G-force has worked perfectly, stil dont understand all the whining about it, I can manually tune a guitar, but if theres a thing there tuning it for me, why whine about it. It especially comes handy when going through alternate tunings, after all I enjoy playing the guitar not necessary tuning one. If you enjoy and like spending time tuning guitars YOU CAN STIL TUNE MANUALLY, just don't turn the thing on.

I have a 2015 with the G-force, and it works well for me. I suspect those who prefer to manually tune (and G-force allows for individual string tuning) are put off by the 40:1 ratio of the tuning gears...

JJMMWG DuPree

I have a 2015 with the G-force, and it works well for me. I suspect those who prefer to manually tune (and G-force allows for individual string tuning) are put off by the 40:1 ratio of the tuning gears...
I can see where the ratio of the tuners could be a problem when fitting new strings, but personally I'd love them for minute tuning you need to get it right. What I don't like about G-force tuners is what I don't like about all electric tuners, they tune you to some figures on a piece of paper and I come from far enough in the past to hear that those dangfool figures are wrong.

Going back into musical prehistory composers would write a concerto stipulating the lead instrument and the key. That's because when tuned harmonically, tunable instruments should be tuned to the composer's instruction. To, let's say, Beethoven, a piano tuned to C and played in F# would be anathema. The arrival of cheap pianos brought with it a tendency to tune them all to A (Although the last time we had our piano tuned the guy said he tuned them all to C, which might explain why I love the sound of the chord F#/G#).

The studio piano tuned to A for jazz and rock'n'roll is the sound my ears grew up used to, but guitars were traditionally tuned to either E or G and that's what I still use. E for electric and G for, er, acoustic. So whenever I tune up with an electric device I then have to fine tune it so it doesn't hurt my ears. Because I play mostly pre-'the electro takeover of music' music, most people seem quite happy with me microtuning my guitar, and in all honesty it's never right in tune after half of the first number so I'm probably being a bit eccentric here, but I have started hearing complaints from other guitarists with their little tuners stuck to the heads of their guitars, that I don't seem to be in tune with them.

It's annoying being the only soldier in step...

Elias

I have a 2015 with the G-force, and it works well for me. ...

Same here. When I first bought the guitar I was determined to get rid of the G-Force but I ended up keeping it.
Not so much for routine tuning, but mostly because it makes restringing ridiculously easy and fast, as G-Force has a special mode for this purpose, which winds and tunes the strings simultaneously. Again, it's not like I couldn't live without it, but let's just say that I have started to appreciate it a bit more and I imagine that for those gigging on a daily basis it can actually have some real practical value.