• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If You Bought A 2015 Les Paul, I Want To Speak With You

tokairic

Yes its blue - but what a shame to cover the maple in a solid colour, and the brown back doesn't do it any favours either (just my opinion, no doubt someone will love it)
If you want blue I don't think you can beat he trans blue burst flame maple with the darker trans blue back......its used on the Epi LP Plus Top but I haven't seen it on any Gibsons yet - the blue 2017 LP (Blueberry Burst?) may fit the bill but I haven't seen one yet.

tatman49

Just to update from my previous thread, I have now had almost two weeks with the 2015 Traditional now and though I haven't fallen in love with the neck I can play it now without thinking Damn! This neck is too wide. The only trouble I still have occasionally is a quick jump to the E string for a fill or soloing finds my finger to close to the edge of the fretboard where I am used to the E string lying. I even like quick tuning with the G force now when I switch between Zep songs for alternate tunings. I love the finish on it even more and only my 2014 Ocean Water Blue Standard in AAAA Plus Top is more dramatic looking. So it is safe from EBay for the moment. By the way, cracked the bridge pickup mounting ring, anyone know where to get a replacement 2015 ring, even though I don't use pickguards still would like the option available to snap it back in.

GPD36

I have arrived a bit late to this thread, but I have been playing a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard for the past twelve months, so I thought I would share my thoughts...

First of all, the guitar looks absolutely stunning with its gorgeous AA maple top. The finish on the body & neck is, as far as I can see, flawless. The rosewood used for the fingerboard looks great and is very smooth... love it! I have huge hands, but I still struggled to get used to the wide neck. In my opinion, even though I am used to it now, it's a fraction too wide. On my 2012 SG Standard, I keep pulling the top E-string off the edge of the fingerboard, which drives me nuts! This definitely does not happen on my Les Paul's neck. A compromise between the two neck widths would be ideal (for me). The guitar plays and sounds great - I love the adjustable zero fret nut, especially the ability to set and adjust its height. Gibson replaced the original brass nut with a titanium one as I quickly wore grooves into the softer brass, which would make a 'ping' noise when bending strings. (Gibson's Customer Services department was great and sent out the new nut without any fuss.) Somehow, the surround to the bridge pickup cracked on the bass side and the pickup dropped into the pickup cavity. Again, Gibson replaced the part without any fuss. 10/10 Gibson Customer Services! :)

I really like the removable pickguard - a great idea. The G-Force tuners impressed everyone (bandmates, family, delivery man, cat, etc) as the guitar tuned itself, but I could not get on with them, so they were soon swapped for Schaller's version of the Grover Rotomatics (which are awesome!) I (still) love this guitar, and Gibsons in general, but - there's always a but - there was a huge flaw with this guitar...

The fret ends were lethal; brushing palm or fingers over the fret ends could draw blood! The frets were left squared-off and sharp. This is something I do not expect on a guitar of this quality (& price). Only yesterday, I visited one of the big retailers to check out the 2017 range and, without exception, every single Gibson (electric & acoustic) that had no neck binding or the frets sitting on top of the binding (as opposed to the binding covering the fret ends), suffered with the same problem: sharp fret ends. I was going to buy a new Gibson yesterday but walked away as I will not buy a brand new, quality guitar that, in my opinion, was not quite finished at the factory. The retailer had a cheap ($175) Chinese copy of a J45 that had smooth fret ends. If the Chinese can achieve this, why can't Gibson? Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I don't think anyone should buy a new Gibson and then have to pay a luthier to finish off the work to the frets.

Rough frets aside, I absolutely love my 2015 Les Paul - I even love the gold colored hard case (which is very light in weight, even with the guitar inside).

I almost forgot... I absolutely hate the Les Paul signature & hologram on the head, but I don't notice them when playing, so I can live with them.

starcentral

I almost bought a DC special too. I thought it played really nice but agree those auto tuners felt a bit like something too space age to be on a legendary guitar. That was too much off a turn off for me so I ended up getting a 2016 60s tribute for around the same price and quite happy with it.

By the way great video man! :dude:

tatman49

I have arrived a bit late to this thread, but I have been playing a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Standard for the past twelve months, so I thought I would share my thoughts...

First of all, the guitar looks absolutely stunning with its gorgeous AA maple top. The finish on the body & neck is, as far as I can see, flawless. The rosewood used for the fingerboard looks great and is very smooth... love it! I have huge hands, but I still struggled to get used to the wide neck. In my opinion, even though I am used to it now, it's a fraction too wide. On my 2012 SG Standard, I keep pulling the top E-string off the edge of the fingerboard, which drives me nuts! This definitely does not happen on my Les Paul's neck. A compromise between the two neck widths would be ideal (for me). The guitar plays and sounds great - I love the adjustable zero fret nut, especially the ability to set and adjust its height. Gibson replaced the original brass nut with a titanium one as I quickly wore grooves into the softer brass, which would make a 'ping' noise when bending strings. (Gibson's Customer Services department was great and sent out the new nut without any fuss.) Somehow, the surround to the bridge pickup cracked on the bass side and the pickup dropped into the pickup cavity. Again, Gibson replaced the part without any fuss. 10/10 Gibson Customer Services! :)

Wow!! My bridge pickup ring broke as well on the bass side as well. Have been in touch with Gibson CS on 3 different occasions giving them all the info. each time and after each subsequent call they tell me 5 to 7 business days and I should receive it but it has been 2 weeks since my last call. Do you remember the name of the CS rep you spoke with since I can't seem to get any traction with my issue. I may just buy a replacement ring that doesn't have the pick guard cut outs since I would really like to play it again.

GPD36

Wow!! My bridge pickup ring broke as well on the bass side as well. Have been in touch with Gibson CS on 3 different occasions giving them all the info. each time and after each subsequent call they tell me 5 to 7 business days and I should receive it but it has been 2 weeks since my last call. Do you remember the name of the CS rep you spoke with since I can't seem to get any traction with my issue. I may just buy a replacement ring that doesn't have the pick guard cut outs since I would really like to play it again.

Hi,

Sorry, I cannot remember the name. Whilst I was waiting for the new pick-up surround to arrive, I made a replacement from an old one I had lying around. Using the broken one as a template, it took about five minutes to do with a small file (the plastic files away really easily). The pickguard fitted perfectly. I'm keeping that as a spare just in case the replacement part breaks. I hope you get yours sorted soon. :)

tatman49

Hi,

Sorry, I cannot remember the name. Whilst I was waiting for the new pick-up surround to arrive, I made a replacement from an old one I had lying around. Using the broken one as a template, it took about five minutes to do with a small file (the plastic files away really easily). The pickguard fitted perfectly. I'm keeping that as a spare just in case the replacement part breaks. I hope you get yours sorted soon. :)

Got the new pickup ring in the mail last Friday and played all weekend and my final thought on this guitar is that they really did a fantastic job building the 2015 Traditional. I now enjoy the wider neck more than the slim or 50's, bar chords and f chord in first position are much easier to play since I have long fingers (could palm a basketball in high school) it makes rhythm playing almost effortless. Blues soloing when I move my thumb above the neck is fine but crazy train solo with my thumb in classical position feels easier on my 2011 Customs. That being said I have my eye on a Placid Purple 2015 to add to my colored flame top collection, then I can keep one in standard and one 1/2 step down. It seems like this board is mainly traditional LP guys but being in high school in the mid to late 80's I have always enjoyed traditional and also really colorful guitars as well.

Lamaar

Got myself a Tusq XL nut for replacing the titanium zerofret, this sounds so much better, less harsh, open chords sound wonderfull.
Recommend it to all gibson 2015 users. :hee
Replaced the gforce with Gibson kluson tuners.
Replaced the Bridge burstbucker pro with a Classic 57+, (sounds way better!)

One is still with titanium nut, the other one is with the Tusq nut.

66aa1241-700a-4307-9b5f-6580d02a43d2_zpsqgohlb7p.jpg

db8a6467-3874-436c-8cb9-87c5a19de671_zpsxaksucez.jpg

Last edited:

EFLOW

Got myself a Tusq XL nut

db8a6467-3874-436c-8cb9-87c5a19de671_zpsxaksucez.jpg

I order this Tusq nut , my 2015 is an awesome Gibson SG, fantastic SG :jim

The pickguard is a 5 ply Creamtone, I will install a set of KLUSON Revolution tuners, ratio is 19:1

sg_sta14.jpg

Last edited:

mariushoog

Just completed my first post in the newbees section, and while I am at it, would like to throw in my opinion on the 2015's.

I recently added a (beautiful) Les Paul Classic "Vintage Sunburst" to my collection. The Les Paul "department" to date consisted of a Les Paul Special 2000 and a 2016 Les Paul Studio T. Apart from the LP's, I also own a 2012 SG. Comparing the 2015 with the previous models, and focussing on the much dreaded changes, here's what I think based on playing my Classic for some time now;

1) General finish and setup; The guitar is an absolute beauty and I found no shortcomings in finish and setup.

2) Neck Profile; the wider neck gives a very different feel. At first I have to admit that reverting to my studio (50's profile) or my Special (slimmer profile) or even my SG (baseball bat), gave me a sense of "coming home". However after playing the 2015 for a while now, I am really getting used to the neck, and I am liking the additional real estate it provides. I have no big hands, but I can say it is virtually as comfortable to play as my other Gibsons.

3) G-Force: got a great deal on this guitar, and the G-Force had already been replaced by Grovers. So cannot provide you with an opinion on those.

4) Brass Zero Nut: like it, however read about the excessive wear that some people referred to. (Although I think that is also related to the way the G-Force tunes). Although the brass nut on my 2015 LP shows no significant wear so far, I wrote an email to Gibson's service desk in Europe, which than send me a replacement titanium nut for free. Although I got it "just in case" the brass nut starts to wear, in my opinion this is a sign of great Customer Service by Gibson.

5) Les Paul 100 Decal: Don't like it, but has no impact on playability and sound so can well live with it.

6) Hologram: Don't understand the fuzz. It's there ...

In all the 2015 Classic is a great looking, great sounding (man I like those 57's) and fun to play guitar on which you can get a really great deal. In all honesty, the only thing I am still contemplating to mod, is the turbo boost switch, as it really looks like one tone knob is missing. However this is not a 2015 issue as the 2014 classics had the same layout.

Remains the question, was Gibson smart in pushing the infamous 2015 changes throughout the entire model lineup in 2015 ? I don't think so, especially given the specific nature of the Gibson afficionado's. The fact remains however that this "mistake" provided me with the opportunity to pick this beauty at an almost "too good to be true" price, adding a beautiful burst to my collection. I also think that in the end, the 2015 model lineup will be judged on its merits and will get more favourable reviews over time. Hey, it might even become a looked after vintage model in 50 years time :)

Reading thrrough my earlier review of my Classic 2015, I feel that in order to "close" the subject from my perspective I should share some additional thoughts I have after owning and playing the guitar for an extended period. Maybe this can help people contemplating to buy a 2015.

First, my intitial thoughts on finish, setup and overall appearance remain as they were. I think the guitar is a beauty, without any visible flaws or imperfections. I also still like the 57 classics for sound (a lot).

As stated in my initial review, I bought the guitar with the G-Force already replaced by Grovers, so still not in a position to eleborate on the G-Force. A side effect of not having a G-Force installed is, at least I think so, that the reported wear on the brass zero fret is not an issue on my 2015. I've seen video's of the G-Force at work, and I think the way the thing tunes the guitar contributes to this frequently reported wear. Although Gibson send me a replacement titanium nut (great service as I was not the first owner), there is still no need for me to replace the original brass nut.

The hologram still does not bother me at all.

I'm still not a big fan of the Les Paul signature and I've tried to remedy this by replacing the original truss rod cover with one that draws less attention to the headstock than the original "CLASSIC" which uses a bold large font in gold. I will replace the one which is on there right now (see the picture) with a totally blank one. Short of replacing the current logo with a new decal, it is about all I feel I can do about this isue. However I must say it bothers me less than when I first saw the guitar.

My biggest aesthetic problem with the classic 2015 still is the turbo boost switch. First I thought about replacing the current PCB with a more conventional one, or rewire and replace the pots the old fashioned way. But due to the fact that I kinda like the turbo boost function and the costs involved, I looked for alternatives. One was to replace the toggle switch with the push-push alternative that the 2014 Les Paul Futura has. I've googled the life out of me, but to date have not been able to find one I can order. So for now I settled on sliding a speedknob over the switch (double sided tape for adhesion), which hides the toggle switch but leaves the functionality intact. In the "off" position however, the knob is not perfectly aligned, so I am still thinking about a solution for that. For the time being I can live with this solution however.

The biggest real difference between "conventional" and 2015 LP's, is the width and profile of the neck. In my initial review I stated that it felt almost as comforable than the necks on my other LP's, however I feel the following advice to aspiring 2015 buyers could be usefull.
I don't have big hands and long fingers, and I noticed that when I go further up the fretboard and want to fret the lower strings (E and A) I can no longer wrap my thumb around the neck, and have to reposition my thumb to enable me to reach the E and A strings. Not a very big deal, but I can imagine that for some (faster) players this may be an issue. I also noted that, although the string spacing is the same as in conventional Gibsons, the first couple of minutes I'm sometimes misplacing my fingers, especially when playing open chords. After a couple of minutes this "problem" goes away.

What I'm trying to say here is that I believe that when buying (or contemplating to buy) a 2015 LP, espacially if you've already played/owned conventional LP's, it is essential to play the guitar prior to buying, as the neck has a real impact on the feel of the guitar.

In all, I'm still very happy with my classic, and have no regrets buying it and no plans selling it. Fact remains that it is the odd one out in the LP family.

Liverjuice

Hi,

I own a Les Paul Classic 2015 SR. After one year playing it the lacqer of the hologram is riven and peeling off. Anyone with this problem?

thanks

tokairic

Hi,

I own a Les Paul Classic 2015 SR. After one year playing it the lacqer of the hologram is riven and peeling off. Anyone with this problem?

thanks

I have a LP Less Plus and a LP Standard, both 2015, and the lacquer on both headstocks and full length of the front of the body of the Less Plus has 'checked' and looks cracked, despite non of my other nitro lacquered guitars stored in the same place and in the same way having any problem at all.
I was pretty horrified but the 'fans of Gibson' say I should be happy about it as now they look 'aged' like proper Gibsons.......I don't agree but Gibson aren't bothered by this and put the blame on me rather than their QC.
The hologram however is still on there,

Liverjuice

I have a LP Less Plus and a LP Standard, both 2015, and the lacquer on both headstocks and full length of the front of the body of the Less Plus has 'checked' and looks cracked, despite non of my other nitro lacquered guitars stored in the same place and in the same way having any problem at all.
I was pretty horrified but the 'fans of Gibson' say I should be happy about it as now they look 'aged' like proper Gibsons.......I don't agree but Gibson aren't bothered by this and put the blame on me rather than their QC.
The hologram however is still on there,

Gibson support offered me a new guitar (same model same year) but I have to send it to the Nederlands... I am not so sure that the replacement won't have the same problem (or even additional ones), so I don't really know what to do.

tokairic

Gibson support offered me a new guitar (same model same year) but I have to send it to the Nederlands... I am not so sure that the replacement won't have the same problem (or even additional ones), so I don't really know what to do.

Well you've done alot better than I did with Gibson. I had two brand new guitars costing thousands (both 6 months old) with problem lacquer and Gibson didn't want to know and blamed me for not storing them correctly or exposing them to cold or heat (both kept in their cases, in the house. Stored in the same way as my other guitars). In fact I also have a 2012 LP Supreme stored in the same way as these guitars which doesn't have any issues at all.
Add to that the ridicule you get from Gibson 'enthusiasts' for suggesting that Gibson are less than perfect, and I was pretty pi**ed off.

To be fair, one of the companies that I bought from did offer to exchange the guitar, but, like you, I wondered if the same problem would re-occur and whether it would be worth it..........in the end I have kept both, reluctantly. I will sell them when their age matches their current condition, and buy a PRS 245.

It is a ridiculous situation when you spend thousands on a guitar and QC is a hit and miss gamble, but as long as the guitars keep selling Gibson will do nothing.

In both our cases I think a refinish option would be the best way for Gibson to have resolved our issues but I can't see that happening due to the cost involved for Gibson.

andrabian

I did my homework on dogear P90s and replacing the stock pickup in my Jr. with a Wolfetone Meaner and gutted the cavity and put in an Electric City LP Jr. 50s style harness that has custom CTS pots and Luxe PO capacitors.

This mod moved my LP Jr. very close to the tone of the Historic - better is some areas. Essentially, the tone is now an awesome vintage 50s on steroids, and the playability is still modern- a great merge of old and new. In comparison, the stock pickup and wiring really did not do the guitar any justice.

After a few months playing in and out, I came to the same conclusion more or less as you. I still like every bit of the guitar, with the exception of the G-Force that gives me some headache, as I need it, as a tuning swapper. Another thing is the PU, which performes well live, but never quite sound the way I like when recorded. I'm ordering PU from overseas and I'm not in the position of being able to test several options. Seems like the opinions highly vary about even the costlyer options. Youtube sound samples suck. Just wondering where and how did you do your "homework"? Why the Wolfetone, why the meaner? How does that fit your style? I'm considering the Rio Grande Blues Dawg, for its bottom richness, which I'm missing from the stock PU in the first place.

EFLOW

Reading thrrough my earlier review of my Classic 2015, I feel that in order to "close" the subject from my perspective I should share some additional thoughts I have after owning and playing the guitar for an extended period. Maybe this can help people contemplating to buy a 2015.

First, my intitial thoughts on finish, setup and overall appearance remain as they were. I think the guitar is a beauty, without any visible flaws or imperfections. I also still like the 57 classics for sound (a lot).

As stated in my initial review, I bought the guitar with the G-Force already replaced by Grovers, so still not in a position to eleborate on the G-Force. A side effect of not having a G-Force installed is, at least I think so, that the reported wear on the brass zero fret is not an issue on my 2015. I've seen video's of the G-Force at work, and I think the way the thing tunes the guitar contributes to this frequently reported wear. Although Gibson send me a replacement titanium nut (great service as I was not the first owner), there is still no need for me to replace the original brass nut.

The hologram still does not bother me at all.

I'm still not a big fan of the Les Paul signature and I've tried to remedy this by replacing the original truss rod cover with one that draws less attention to the headstock than the original "CLASSIC" which uses a bold large font in gold. I will replace the one which is on there right now (see the picture) with a totally blank one. Short of replacing the current logo with a new decal, it is about all I feel I can do about this isue. However I must say it bothers me less than when I first saw the guitar.

My biggest aesthetic problem with the classic 2015 still is the turbo boost switch. First I thought about replacing the current PCB with a more conventional one, or rewire and replace the pots the old fashioned way. But due to the fact that I kinda like the turbo boost function and the costs involved, I looked for alternatives. One was to replace the toggle switch with the push-push alternative that the 2014 Les Paul Futura has. I've googled the life out of me, but to date have not been able to find one I can order. So for now I settled on sliding a speedknob over the switch (double sided tape for adhesion), which hides the toggle switch but leaves the functionality intact. In the "off" position however, the knob is not perfectly aligned, so I am still thinking about a solution for that. For the time being I can live with this solution however.

The biggest real difference between "conventional" and 2015 LP's, is the width and profile of the neck. In my initial review I stated that it felt almost as comforable than the necks on my other LP's, however I feel the following advice to aspiring 2015 buyers could be usefull.
I don't have big hands and long fingers, and I noticed that when I go further up the fretboard and want to fret the lower strings (E and A) I can no longer wrap my thumb around the neck, and have to reposition my thumb to enable me to reach the E and A strings. Not a very big deal, but I can imagine that for some (faster) players this may be an issue. I also noted that, although the string spacing is the same as in conventional Gibsons, the first couple of minutes I'm sometimes misplacing my fingers, especially when playing open chords. After a couple of minutes this "problem" goes away.

What I'm trying to say here is that I believe that when buying (or contemplating to buy) a 2015 LP, espacially if you've already played/owned conventional LP's, it is essential to play the guitar prior to buying, as the neck has a real impact on the feel of the guitar.

In all, I'm still very happy with my classic, and have no regrets buying it and no plans selling it. Fact remains that it is the odd one out in the LP family.

Very nice vintage sunburst, I like the zebra humbuckers too

El Gringo

A very interesting topic to discuss I and just thought of a question that I wanted to ask about in regards to the above mentioned G Force tuners .What happens if they malfunction and stop working ? Is this a costly repair ? Is this still under warrenty ? What do you do in the middle of a gig if the G Force stops working ? I would be lost without my trusty BOSS TU-3 tuner .I love the look of the Klusons on my Les Pauls (2 out of 3 have the Klusons) but my Les Paul Custom with the Grovers are really the best tuners out there in my book .

Last edited:

murphyhoran

A very interesting topic to discuss I and just thought of a question that I wanted to ask about in regards to the above mentioned G Force tuners .What happens if they malfunction and stop working ? Is this a costly repair ? Is this still under warrenty ? What do you do in the middle of a gig if the G Force stops working ? I would be lost without my trusty BOSS TU-3 tuner .I love the look of the Klusons on my Les Pauls (2 out of 3 have the Klusons) but my Les Paul Custom with the Grovers are really the best tuners out there in my book .

Tronical makes the GForce tuning system for Gibson, you can order replacement parts from their web site- and you can order individual tuners if any fail. No idea if it's still under warranty. If you're in the middle of a gig and they stop working, you can manually tune the strings, although it may take longer. If you're concerned about them malfunctioning, you can always retrofit some Grover locking tuners.

I would order a backup battery to keep just in case. My GForce equipped Les Paul stays in tune better than any of my other Les Paul.

Liverjuice

Tronical makes the GForce tuning system for Gibson, you can order replacement parts from their web site- and you can order individual tuners if any fail. No idea if it's still under warranty. If you're in the middle of a gig and they stop working, you can manually tune the strings, although it may take longer. If you're concerned about them malfunctioning, you can always retrofit some Grover locking tuners.

I would order a backup battery to keep just in case. My GForce equipped Les Paul stays in tune better than any of my other Les Paul.

You can also tune the guitar manually, even if the robot is broken so it wouldn't be a problem on stage.
Anyone knows where to buy the Zero nut? I love the titanium zero fret and the way the guitar stays in tune so would be handy to have it in my 2017 Les Paul to replace the plastic piece.

Finspeak

I'm doing an article for one of the guitar mags I write for about the 2015 Gibsons, whether they are cutting edge or an epic fail. I've played about 8-10 new Gibsons and have mixed feelings. I have also spoken to a few prominent Gibson dealers, all of whom hate the new guitars, and have sold very few.
One of the Gibson customer service guys even told me under his breath that he hates the new guitars.

I want to know your experiences if you have purchased a new Gibson with the supoosed "upgrades."

I might use your information or quotes in the article. PM me. Thanks.

I see this is a fairly old thread, but hopefully my answer might be appreciated. I’m one of those people who love great craftsmanship. I’ve got quite a few guitars, and I bought my Les Paul Supreme 2015 simply because it is a beautifully made instrument. I’ll never gig with it, it’s far too good. All the electrical components are installed and can be serviced without inspection covers on the back, which is really clever and the finish is absolutely unblemished. I haven’t got (and wouldn’t want) those awful electric self-tuners they fit to some models. A good strobe tuner has no equal.

For regular playing ting the older Gibson’s are always better, but that seems to be the case with most musical instruments. Over here in the UK younger kids are buying cheap guitars from the Far East, because they want to create the sound with a computer and don’t need a beautifully crafted instrument for that. The manufacturers have to sell new stuff or go out of business and while the trend is away from using the instrument to create the sound we will be stuck with a plethora of Chinese guitars. Hopefully “Real” music will return, just as real cimema did and real pianos did. The challenge is for manufacturers to stay in business and make a few really good instruments each yearfor people who appreciate them.