• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If You Bought A 2015 Les Paul, I Want To Speak With You

engineer

It certainly wasn't my intention to "piss all over" guys who have already bought one which was said in a response to my first post on this forum.
Very disappointing.

Well. The thread is called: "If you bought a 2015 Les Paul..." indicating it's a thread for owners.
There are plenty of threads on this and other forums where everybody that has an opinion has shared their views on the 2015 model. And when I say plenty, I mean a massive amount.

I guess there's a time and a place. This was not the place.

But i do agree we should all treat each other with respect. Especially on an Internet forum where many people meet that don't know each other from "real life".
I always think about what my posting to an open forum will contribute. Will this advance the discussion and add insight? Has this already been said?

I always wish posters on any thread would consider that before posting. Perhaps inflammatory discussion would happen less and great meeting can take place.

I have hope, and a sweet Les Paul 2015 Classic.

tokairic

I totally understand why some may feel that l wasn't worthy to post on this thread as l haven't purchased a 2015 standard - BUT - I was a professional guitarist who worked in London up until '96 in West end theatres and studios and have used Gibsons extensively so l thought (obviously ) that my contribution may be welcomed and not treated with disdain and unpleasant comments.
I read ALL the previous comments (of which there were many) regarding this instrument and by no means was l in the minority with regards to the signature, auto tune and hologram being "gimmicky". I merely suggested that the budget spent on these "upgrades" may have been spent more wisely.
Notwithstanding that on the whole this guitar is very good, it could have been better.
It certainly wasn't my intention to "piss all over" guys who have already bought one which was said in a response to my first post on this forum.
Very disappointing.

Firstly (for the knockers) I have two 2015 Gibson Les Pauls, does this qualify me to have an opinion?
Everyone has a right to an opinion. Sugarman is a working guitarist with plenty of experience of previous Gibson guitars, and his opinion should be respected on those grounds alone. Many who post on here are blinkered individuals who just don't have the experience of Sugarman and many are just hobby guitarists with opinions based on historical misinformation, you tube videos and Gibson marketing.
Sugarman is not the only poster to 'not' have bought a 2015 Gibson - there are plenty here.

Elias

Guys, this is not a conflict....the world would be very boring if we all liked the same stuff :)
In any case, I am sure that future Gibson historians will be examing the 2015 threads with great interest!

Fish Fingers

Arf! There were quite a few 'knocking' posts around the various forums concerning the 2015 range. Many it has to be said seemed to be by those who had not either tried or owned a 2015 guitar.
The bottom line was almost 'We don't want these guitars because we only want a 59 'burst replica for thruppence two farthing'.
As I have commented before, I personally think the build quality of the 2015 range will become known as a high point for fit and finish. The 2016 range looked like they had been painted in the dark by a small slightly drunk
elephant. With the DT's.
Gibson at least had a go at moving the goalposts forward from 1959 but sadly missed the mark on a couple of points. At least they had a go!
The web is a wonderful world where many people consider their opinion to be almost the only correct one.
Everyone likes or wants something different. Me, I think thin V necks are for amateurs, posers and the slightly dim. It's my opinion so it must be true.
My 2015 Deluxe has a neck on it like a professional wrestler. Thick, chunky and asymmetric. What I like is the best. Arf.
Carry on people, discussion is great, but opinionated or demeaning posts merely show up the person who posted.
I feel better now. I've had a crap day at work and this post has made me feel a whole lot better.
Please, try not to take me too seriously. Nobody else does!

mariushoog

I totally understand why some may feel that l wasn't worthy to post on this thread as l haven't purchased a 2015 standard - BUT - I was a professional guitarist who worked in London up until '96 in West end theatres and studios and have used Gibsons extensively so l thought (obviously ) that my contribution may be welcomed and not treated with disdain and unpleasant comments.
I read ALL the previous comments (of which there were many) regarding this instrument and by no means was l in the minority with regards to the signature, auto tune and hologram being "gimmicky". I merely suggested that the budget spent on these "upgrades" may have been spent more wisely.
Notwithstanding that on the whole this guitar is very good, it could have been better.
Very disappointing.

I don't want to extend this discussion just for the sake of it, however I don't believe that your opinion relative to the 2015 models was the reason for the obvious agitation. However your phrase "Serious players and or buyers aren't looking for gimmicks like these. What they are looking for are very well built, beautiful looking and sounding instruments at a reasonable price." may have implied for some that current 2015 owners do qualify as "serious players and or buyers". I truly believe that this was not the point you were trying to make, however it is only after one clicks the "Submit" button such issues become apparent. Let me assure you that I value any opinion on this forum, wether I agree or not. In this case I disagree with yours, which is absolutely fine with me, as long as that doesn't imply in your view that it makes me less of a player and or buyer.

Sugarman

Mariuahoog, thanks for your reply. It was not my intention at all to suggest that guys who purchased a 2015 model were not serious players and l would apologise if that was how my post sounded. I'm sure that in general terms this guitar looks, plays and sounds wonderful. I just feel that the extra production costs that were incurred with the tuner and signature, ( l can live with the hologram for security and anti fraud reasons) could have been put to better use or lowered the price maybe. Thank for your comments regarding posting in general and l look forward interesting discussion in the future.

tatman49

My .02 on the 2014 banner, I have 3 2011 LPC White,Ebony & Iguana Burst and love the way they play and the only other LP I play with any regularity is my 2014 Ocean Water Blue plays and sounds great and I never even notice the banner anymore but it didn't bother me to begin with. The only thing I didn't really like was the Acrylic Trapezoids but I loved the finish and I am glad I got it. Whenever we play Kix covers that is the one i grab.

OldStrummer

I have posted before on this thread, so pardon me for butting in again. I bought a 2015 LP Classic "Rock II" guitar.

2016-09-14%2006.50.40-M.jpg

I don't know if I qualify as a "serious" musician, as I've never gotten paid for my playing. But I have 50 years of playing experience, which in my mind qualifies for some level of "seriousness." I bought this guitar because I wanted a Les Paul, and I liked the limited edition and looks of this one. There is no hologram on the headstock, so maybe that was reserved for the Standard line. I like the G-Force tuners as it obviates the need to keep multiple guitars in different tunings. I like the coil-tapping burstbucker pickups. I like the 15db gain switch. In other words, I like the guitar.

It's isn't my go-to guitar, however. I have a number of guitars and each one speaks to me (and for me, if I may) in its own way. My other Gibson is a 1957 ES-225. There isn't a guitar in my collection that I would sell or trade. That includes the 2015 LP.

TyHorne304

Just wanted to put in my opinion. I'm a 26 y/o player who has been playing about 4 years now and I play a lot of 70's rock, southern rock, and some blues stuff. I have always wanted a real les paul. So I finally found my beauty about 6 months ago. A 2015 Gibson USA Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional Classic In iced tea burst(pain top). I went and played some LPs at music store before I pulled the trigger and notice I really liked the slim neck. That's one reason I picked that one (along with the pickups for vintage tone and the beautiful plain top). It came with 57 classic pickups, non-wire abr 1 bridge, and slim neck. It has No brass nut and g force tuners. Needless to say I haven't regret my decision in the slightest way. It doesn't have the wide neck either( I played my buddies 2014 studio and it definitely felt weird). This guitar is literally my dream guitar and I could never dream of parting ways. i don't know why people are hating on the g force. I really love it. I'm in perfect pitch every time and can go to a different tuning in seconds. I'm a very happy LP owner now and will cherish forever. I play multiple hours everyday and it never seizes to amaze. I guess if you had to come up with something negative to say about the g force, it might be that you can't really do tricks with the tuners(which i care nothing about) mainly bc the gear ratio is very small. I have let a few good players try it out with nothing but praise. But just wanted to let people know there are some really great Gibsons from 2015, at least in my opinion. Keep rockin'��

Last edited:

JJMMWG DuPree

Interesting. Has the Fender 2017 line got it right or are they about to suffer a Gibson 2015?

...still searching for that blue 2015....

tatman49

I just bought a 2015 LP Traditional in Heritage Cherry. What most people tend to complain about does not bother me in the least, i.e. signature on headstock, Gforce etc. What I can't get used to is the wide neck! Hate it!!! I really like everything else about it but I am to used to my other necks that I just can't get past it. Tried playing it exclusively all this last week but I cannot enjoy playing it. So off it goes to EBay this weekend.

MarkJB

I just bought a 2015 LP Traditional in Heritage Cherry. What most people tend to complain about does not bother me in the least, i.e. signature on headstock, Gforce etc. What I can't get used to is the wide neck! Hate it!!! I really like everything else about it but I am to used to my other necks that I just can't get past it. Tried playing it exclusively all this last week but I cannot enjoy playing it. So off it goes to EBay this weekend.

Thats absolutely fair enough! All of us have comfort/fit idiosyncrasies that effect whether a guitar works for us or not - eg.i hate playing Strats, in part because of the position of the controls - I keep knocking them - and because the middle pup gets in the way! I keep thinking I must get one for completion but every time I sit down to play them I get annoyed and can't get beyond the above. Ditto short scale basses, I started playing on an Aria SB and so am used to very taught strings, flappy strings just feel awful to me.

I have no problem with the wide neck of my Lester, it feels right to me. Though I confess there are times playing cowboy chords on the first fret e. Dm or B7 sometimes I'm aware of the nut pushing into my hand... Buts it's a minor thing.

grimlyflick

As I have commented before, I personally think the build quality of the 2015 range will become known as a high point for fit and finish. The 2016 range looked like they had been painted in the dark by a small slightly drunk
elephant. With the DT's.

I beg to differ my new 2016 Standard stands head and shoulders above any other Gibson I've owned for fit and finish.

Fish Fingers

Re 2016 finish. I had a look at half a dozen or so Lesters from the 2016 crop, and they all seemed messy around the top/neck joint. perhaps I have an unusually good 2015 or the 2016's I saw were just the oddities?
Looked at the 2017 offerings yesterday and they seemed to be very well turned out.

Maybe the 2016's I saw had been wall flowers for too long?
Of course, the real answer is obvious. my Les Paul, as it's mine is the best finished and best sounding guitar ever. Biased? Moi?

tokairic

Interesting. Has the Fender 2017 line got it right or are they about to suffer a Gibson 2015?

...still searching for that blue 2015....

I doubt you will find a blue 2015 LP.
I don't think Fender have changed enough for the 2017 range to suffer loss of sales or the severe criticism that Gibson have suffered. Pretty much boils down to colours and pickup type as far as I can see. If I hadn't already bought the 2012 Candy Cola American Standard RW HSS I would be off to the dealer to buy the same thing in Sienna Burst. (Although changing the name to 'Pro' is odd as the 'Pro' label is usually attached to short run or less prestigious models.

plexi70

I find that setup and string guage are big factors with the 2015 necks - smaller guage strings are better and the stock 009-046 is best for mine. I like the wider neck - it makes some things easier and other techniques harder by it boils down to getting the most out of it for what it does great. I wouldn't want my '15 Junior to be my only guitar and it compliments my '13 LP well - in fact, the playing techniques that are a bit of a struggle on the '15 wide neck seem to make playing those techniques on a regular 60's neck quite effortless - call it resistance training. The wider neck is a good design that seems to suit larger hands.

AlvisX

I think I bought one just because it was under 5 bills with the case
I kinda like the case ......put a Melody Maker in it ;)

Now , I found it woulda been a really cool guitar if not for the "shredder" neck ........they couldn't have done it "right", or else it would compete with the Custom Shop .

I took all the 21st Century stuff off & put on some nickel Grovers ,a bone nut & a nickel unwound G compensated lightin bolt AND real bar mag screw pole p-90's,Duncan in the bridge and Gibson in the neck (I did end up putting one of the slug pole pickups in the neck of my LP Deluxe) Now it sounds like a proper Special
After all that ,I exiled it to Europe ,where it sits high on a mountain in Switzerland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBc_c1niTCM