• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If You Bought A 2015 Les Paul, I Want To Speak With You

Matt23

I picked up a 2015 Desert Burst Les Paul Studio late last year and love it. It was my first Gibson Les Paul, so I had no visions of what it should be, historically, or even feel like. It just felt and sounded good in the store.
The "wider" neck is kewl, that extra vibrato room is a treat. As is the GForce tuner - it's turned the guitar into my main daily practice axe since tuning and to any key is so easy & quick.
And the Headstock Logo, to me makes the guitar distinctive and gives it some pizazz~ it's one nice looking guitar, imo.

(posted this in another thread a few days ago, thought I'd post it here as well)

Big Al

2014 and 2015 ?

During those production years, Gibson sold its soul to the devil. Very bad neck bindings .

Prove it, Einstein. Another bullshit post having nothing to do with reality.:hee

Fish Fingers

I bought a 2015 Goldtop Deluxe as it was............
a) The guitar I have always wanted.
b) At a price I could afford, after discounting.
c) It was cooler than a Polar Bear's prostate.

Good things are that it is stunningly well built and finished, sounds completely killer and enhances my primary sexual characteristics.
Naff things were watching the Gforce sawing its way through the soft brass nut and the fact that the Gforce was neither quick or stable.
The neck width presents no problems at all, and I can't see either the headstock logo or the hologram when I'm playing the guitar.
I'm very pleased with the pickups too, I might change them at a later date, then again I might not!
A genuinely excellent guitar!

tokairic

I bought a 2015 Goldtop Deluxe as it was............
a) The guitar I have always wanted.
b) At a price I could afford, after discounting.
c) It was cooler than a Polar Bear's prostate.

Good things are that it is stunningly well built and finished, sounds completely killer and enhances my primary sexual characteristics.
Naff things were watching the Gforce sawing its way through the soft brass nut and the fact that the Gforce was neither quick or stable.
The neck width presents no problems at all, and I can't see either the headstock logo or the hologram when I'm playing the guitar.
I'm very pleased with the pickups too, I might change them at a later date, then again I might not!
A genuinely excellent guitar!

Gibson will replace the brass nut with a titanium one on request if you contact them with your guitar details and proof of purchase.
Replace the G Force with your favourite tuners (I used Gotoh 510 lockers), and you will have a great guitar.

Fish Fingers

Zero Glide nut fitted!
Hipshot locking tuners fitted!
Talent, taste and playing ability..........................not fitted.

bigtone

Gibson will replace the brass nut with a titanium one on request if you contact them with your guitar details and proof of purchase.
Replace the G Force with your favourite tuners (I used Gotoh 510 lockers), and you will have a great guitar.
I also recently bought a 2015 Deluxe Goldtop and am very happy with it. I've had a few Les Pauls before. The wider neck was not an issue for me, and surprisingly I think the pickups are fine too. G Force was included but removed from the guitar. I am the second owner so I had no proof of purchase, but Gibson still sent me the titanium nut.

Fish Fingers

The Deluxe has been a great source of pleasure for me since I purchased it. I'm still surprised at all the hate out there for the 2015 neck profiles. I now find my Strat a bit cramped and fussy!
Glad someone else is having fun.

ShadyAhmed

Hello,

I have a 2015 Les Paul Classic (without G Force tuners - Thank God). The guitar is solid, I love playing it and the "upgrades" give a lot of tonal options to my playing. I guess in time I'll go for a more traditional Les Paul because I never really wanted all the bells and whistles anyway but it was the only one I could afford at the time. My experience playing it has been very good so far, aside from the fact that I have found the humbuckers split coil option meaningless since it doesn't give them the jangelly single coil sound i get from my strat so I'll still end up needing both guitars at a gig. The 15 DB boost is really great, feels like I have a pedal in the guitar but again, nothing you won't be able to do with a traditional configuration and a little playing around with the volume.

Hope this was helpful.
Cheers

Elias

Hi everyone

I bought a 2015 LP Traditional 6 months ago and to be honest, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
- Pickups: The 59 tribute pups have the smooth growl of Alnico II, while they can also get quite mean with the right level of overdrive. The sound distorts but remains harmonious, without getting annoying to the ears. I love them.
- Brass nut: It is true that it makes the guitar somewhat brighter, however, the LP Traditional has no weight relief and naturally produces a very warm sound that balances the brass nut perfectly. Plus, the nut makes playing anything on the 1st fret really easy.
- Fat 50s neck: I love it, but I understand that this is a matter of personal preference. Bends and vibratos on the high E string have become effortless and ....risk-free :)
- New Logo: I don't like it, but I can live with it.
- Hologram: I hardly ever see it, so I don't care much if it's there.
- Tuners: I am not a big fan, but I can have them replaced and sold on ebay anytime. I have kept them so far and I use them out of laziness. The back of my guitar is also black, therefore they are not very annoying aesthetically. The default mode (strum and tune all strings at once) can be a bit of hit and miss. However, the "accuracy" mode (keep the bottom pressed and then tune each string separately) works fine. The guitar does not easily go out of tune even after many bends, etc, in fact I am quite impressed by its stability, especially when it comes to the G string which is often a headache with LPs.
- Fretboard: Excellent. Very smooth and easy to play. I used to have a LP Custom until last year and its fretboard was crap compared to this.

Last but not least: This was a real bargain. Thanks to all the negative publicity regarding 2015 models, retailers in Europe offered massive discounts and I was able to buy it for €1,400 !! That's less than the price of a 2016 LP Studio.

b52plexi

I have a 2015 Gibson les Paul traditional classic le abr. Its a run for Sam ash but I got mine at ams. It has regular neck size regular nut .but swiss cheese weight relief. Old style les Paul headstock signature. Mine weighs in at 8lbs 10oz. Great guitar.

tokairic

Hi everyone

I bought a 2015 LP Traditional 6 months ago and to be honest, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Last but not least: This was a real bargain. Thanks to all the negative publicity regarding 2015 models, retailers in Europe offered massive discounts and I was able to buy it for €1,400 !! That's less than the price of a 2016 LP Studio.

I agree with most of these comments re 2015 LP. Pity Elias;2722323 didn't look around before buying. There are still 2015 LP Standards in some UK dealers at £1299, (unfortunately I bought mine early at £1636, dammit), and a friend of mine bought a Studio for £499 at the height of the discounting - lucky sod!
He also managed to pick up a NOS 2014 LP Standard Quilt Top for £1499 - How lucky was that?!!
I also notice that there is some indication that the 2016's may also see some heavy discounting in the UK when the 2017's are due ..............

tokairic

Hi everyone

I agree with most of these comments re 2015 LP. Pity Elias;2722323 didn't look around before buying. There are still 2015 LP Standards in some UK dealers at £1299, (unfortunately I bought mine early at £1636, dammit), and a friend of mine bought a Studio for £499 at the height of the discounting - lucky sod!
He also managed to pick up a NOS 2014 LP Standard Quilt Top for £1499 - How lucky was that?!!
I also notice that there is some indication that the 2016's may also see some heavy discounting in the UK when the 2017's are due ..............

tokairic

The wider necks on the 2015's get alot of negative comment, but they aren't much wider than others - however they do seem very slim / flat on the back which I think makes them feel wider than they actually are - I have a Standard and a Less Plus which are both excellent guitars (now I have swapped out the G force for Gotoh 510's and fitted the titanium nut upgrade on the standard and a bone nut on the Less Plus, just my choice - no reason).
The only thing I can fault is the finish, which was excellent but has started to crack / check noticeably, even though they are kept the same place as my other nitro finished guitars that haven't shown any signs of problems...........ie in the case, in the house, not gigged.
At first I was really shocked by this as I try to keep my guitars played but pristine, but I have decided to live with it. Gibson don't accept that its a problem, and apparently some folks pay extra to see their guitars looking shit (or relic'd as its known in the trade).

MarkJB

Got my Classic VS for £830 (half price)! Changed the nut for a Tusq one and the GForce for Gibson Vintage Deluxe pegs. The neck feels great to me, I like a slim profile so I find it really comfortable and fast. The paint on the neck was very soft, and I'd put a few minor dings in the neck with a thumb ring before I realised what was happening! Not an an issue in the end because I always take the top gloss of the necks of my guitars, so the dings have been sanded out.

The carve, paint and finish on the top is stunning. If I have a criticism it's that it is maybe too shiny. But that will soften with time. The F&F is spot on. I love that I can take the gaurd on and off when I like and the boost is brilliant (though I wish they'd put it as a pull/push on one of the tone pots rather than a toggle, just to keep the classic look). The 57s are amazing and sound just right to me.

All in all, with the trc switches for a plane one, the pegs and nut changed the only things I would change would be cosmetic - I have pup covers to install and the aforementioned toggle. I'm even growing to love the LP100 signature!

Fish Fingers

I have been having a look see at the 2016 Lesters, just to see if there is anything I fancy come the release of the 2017 range.
I can't believe how poor the finish is on some of these guitars. The naff body to neck paint slop over and the frankly iffy finish generally makes me realise what a bargain I got!
My Deluxe is getting better and better as it settles in. It might be me, but I do believe that guitars take a while to find their 'voice'.
I still can't play for toffee though.

MarkJB

I have been having a look see at the 2016 Lesters, just to see if there is anything I fancy come the release of the 2017 range.
I can't believe how poor the finish is on some of these guitars. The naff body to neck paint slop over and the frankly iffy finish generally makes me realise what a bargain I got!
My Deluxe is getting better and better as it settles in. It might be me, but I do believe that guitars take a while to find their 'voice'.
I still can't play for toffee though.

I have to say my experience was the same - I went to buy a 2016 and came home with a 2015! The paint on the necks of the 2016s I tried was appalling, rippled and ridged all over the place. That would not have bothered me too much because I rub down the necks of all my guitars anyway, but what killed it for me was the finish of the boards. The fret ends were sharp and uneven and there were gouges in the edge of the rosewood. The finish in general on the 2015s was incomparable.

Fish Fingers

Oh dear, I hope we haven't become a new generation, '2017, the year of doom for the Lester'!
Forget '59, 2015 was the year they got the Les Paul spot on...................................
Arf.

Zentar

I also have seen leftover 2014s at wildly varying prices. I have seen just in the last two weeks in Amazon ads the same two 2014 LP Root Beer Min-e tune LPs listed at $2699, $1599 and now at $2999.