• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My old Norlin workhorse

PLarson

A 1974 routed Deluxe that I bought back in 1989. For many years it was my only electric guitar. It fell at one time so it has had a headstock repair. Good work and very stable. Right now it has a Tim Shaw "PAF" in the bridge and a late short magnet PAF in the neck position. I don't know, but maybe I should change them for "hotter" PUs? It's cherry sunburst.......a real "Clown burst". If someone is interested, maybe I can get some pics. :dude:

DonP

Right now it has a Tim Shaw "PAF" in the bridge and a late short magnet PAF in the neck position. I don't know, but maybe I should change them for "hotter" PUs?

Only you can decide if the pickups are not working for you. What as changed to make you think you need to change?

Kris Ford

Pics would be nice!:yah
LOVE my Norlins! Maybe you could try some Tarbacks from a '70's SG for a different flavor, and another guitar may like the PAFs better...
Are you using original pots? If so, the 300K value needs to be pulled out and parked somewhere safe, and some 500+K pots need to be in there, if you haven't already, I'd try the PAFs that way before swapping..

PLarson

Thanks for the tips. I think I will keep it as it is for now.......

Greven

I got a 1974 de luxe as well, at least I think it is. Pups are early - 74...
Most likely the same colour but with orginal pups.
I bought it - 86 and was the one and only for many years...almost the same story as my swedish friend above...
It has a quite thick neck and it sounds great.
I found the pups quite hot and the one in the neck is awsome
I will try to take some pic....

PLarson

Hej Greven!
I do have a second PAF.....maybe I should install it, or perhaps the PAFs works better in my R7? :dude:

Greven

Tjena
I would try it in the Deluxe for sure, damage done already..:)
And think twice before changing on the R7.
I have a few Norlins and have a hard time changing anything from original, but every time I did it came out better than before. As long it ain't any rare axe and you are happy with the tone, it's worth it..Imo...

Art Werck

I still have my '80 deluxe with full sized hum buckers it's a sweet guitar.

Kris Ford

Hej Greven!
I do have a second PAF.....maybe I should install it, or perhaps the PAFs works better in my R7? :dude:

I believe that the '74 is far more worthy of the PAF than any Historic.
Give me old growth Honduras Mahogany (even pancake/ multi piece body) and Kalamazoo made ANY day rather than any Historic..:yah
If anything, I'd put the Shaw in the R7...